Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Very minor scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 02:56 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very minor scratches?

My '93 SC4 is Silver Spruce Metallic, all original paint, in (almost) perfect condition. My problem is a few very minor scratches that look like they are just in the clearcoat. When I wax the car, they disappear for a while but then reappear.

I should mention that, when I bought the car, it had a little sticker on the left rear window for some kind of "protectant," probably some kind of dealer item that the prior owner got suckered into buying. I have removed the sticker, and now I can't remember the name of the product, but the logo had a little armadillo on it.

Any ideas on how to make these minor scratches disappear for good?
Old 06-13-02, 03:17 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Talking

Time for some Zaino.

www.Zainobros.com

Do a search and find all the info on this remarkable product.
Old 06-13-02, 04:45 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Zaino's Z-5 is the product that is for removal of fine scratches. It worked for me. Of course you need to use it in conjunction with their other products (Z-1 and Z-2, at a minimum).

Last edited by RodF; 06-13-02 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-13-02, 05:01 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Oooookay...

How much commission do you guys earn from each order?

Just foolin'...

I had a look at their website - I assume y'all have used this schmutz and it's worth the money? I printed the order form and totaled up everything I need (Z-1,2,5,6,7 and 18) and it's about $80 with shipping.

Worth it? But hey, they throw in an applicator pad...

Also, I found the little sticker in my litter bin - the "protectant" previously applied to my car (I have no idea when or by whom) is "Perma-Plate."

Ever heard of it?

In my email to Zaino, I asked them too if they have heard of Perma-Plate, and how it would affect the application of the Zaino stuff.

I reeeeally love the color of my car - it seems to change with clear or cloudy (we have a few of those in the Northwest) skies - some days it's bluish, some days it's greenish - check my profile if you don't know the color - now if I can just get rid of those few minor flaws...

Thanks guys for your feedback!
Old 06-14-02, 11:18 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default scratches

My two cents.....
My stepbrother is an assistant manager at a detail shop here in Atlanta. My 91 ls had some really bad acid rain damage and overall hazing/crud on top. We washed it, then used a high speed buffer with Meguiar's #2 Cut first - this got rid of all of the haze and scratches - taking down to clear coat, then Meguiar's #3 Glaze (about $10 for each one at auto paint store) which fed the paint and put gloss back in, then I used Finish 2001 (el cheapo [$5] but long lasting wax - you can use wax of your choice) on top with a random orbit buffer. The results are amazing. It looks like a brand new paint job, deep and glossy. If you go to a detail shop and pay a couple of hundred bucks for a full paint reconditioning, this is what they do. The only tricky part is the high speed buffer. It can burn your paint if you push too hard or don't keep the applicator wet. You can use a random orbit buffer for the whole process but it will take longer. I will post a pic in my profile once I can figure out how to shrink one down small enough.

Hope this helps!

rhlight

P.S. I am sure Zaino's is great stuff - I have only heard good things about it. I just wanted to pass along my personal experience and possibly give you a less expensive option.

Last edited by GA400; 06-14-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-14-02, 11:28 AM
Lexusfanatic
Rookie

My .03 cents... Try Meguiar's X-scratch - about $5.00 for a tube at any major auto store.
Old 06-14-02, 11:52 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

good stuff, everybody - I'm outta here for the weekend, will check this thread again Sun or Mon - now that our short summer is here, I want to get on with this - thanx all