Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Drying the car...Tips???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 10:21 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drying the car...Tips???

Hi
After washing the car i use a California Water Blade, and an "Absorber" to dry the areas the water blade misses. But, should the absorber be damp, dry, or wet? I have been wringing the absorber till its damp, but it leaves behind a trail of water. I dont know if its because of the wrinkles in it or what? Can someone give me tips on drying? Thanks
Old 06-05-02, 11:13 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sheet most of the water off by letting a steady stream (i.e. hose w/o attachment) run off the car.
Then I use an Absorber as a first pass. It's supposed to be used damp, and it's like a sponge so it's not going to get your car completely dry. But it takes off a majority of the water.

I go over the car one more time with a microfiber towel, which dries the car completely.

It's not as safe to use the CWB because if there's a small piece of grit left on your car, it'll get picked up and carried across your paint by the CWB.
I did buy it and try it once, but it made a loud screeching noise during use and my neighbors were looking at me like I was crazy.
Old 06-06-02, 02:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I use two towels, both 100% cotton. The first gets most of the water. leaving the car damp (I do sections so the damp areas don't evaporate and leave slight haze) and then use the second to completely dry. Basically, even in humid weather, one pass with each and it's dry and crystal clear. My wife's 99 RX has perfect paint and has always been done this way; I also do the GS but the appearance of 4 yr old paint that still looks great is a better example.
Old 06-06-02, 10:42 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Got a leaf-blower....?

Don't laugh- on the www.autopia-carport.com car care/detailing forum, that's the dryer of choice!

I don't have one, so I first use a synthetic chamois-like towel (which, as kreativ and moore point out, leaves a bit of moisture behind) and then finish off with a real chamois. That way, the chamois stays as clean as possible, and lasts longer.

I made the mistake of leaving my previous chamois wet at the bottom of the wash bucket- so long chamois! The next time I went to use it, it stank, left a residue on the paint, and disintegrated!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-06-02 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-06-02, 12:23 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Got a leaf-blower....?

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Don't laugh- on the www.autopia-carport.com car care/detailing forum, that's the dryer of choice!
I have tried it before but didn't really work as much as I'd like. In my opinion, the blower that I was using perhaps needed to double the output just to move the standing water on the hood.

I dry it like mooretorque's style just being very careful to press it ever so lightly just to absorb the water/moisture. Pressing hard on a towel can put a streak on the black onyx as it has no clear coat.
Old 06-06-02, 12:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

First thing is that drying is a lot easier with a good coat of wax on the car. The surface tension that makes the water bead also makes it scoot off. Let's leave the Zaino versus everything else to the other threads and just say that you need to have a good coat of some protectant.

Second the minerals in your water can make a difference as well. The softer the water, the easier it is to dry. The fanatical detailers will use very soft water for this reason.

Third, never use anything dry on your car to dry it. I know that sounds like doublespeak but in order to reduce the scratching, the drying medium should always be wet. I tried the Absorber for a year and it was OK but it did put in the scratches a little more than I wanted. I ordered a Griot microfiber drying towell and so far it is very impressive. Quicker than the Absorber but with enough "cush" to pick things up and not cause scratching. Pretty please with the Griot towel but it is a little on the big side and comes with sewn in pockets that you are supposed to put your hands in but it just makes it more bulky than it needs to be and more of a job to wring out. Other than that, seems pretty good.
Old 06-06-02, 05:22 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I appreciate all the help. We have water softeners but they seem to not do all that much.
Old 06-07-02, 02:49 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

you can get a small electric leaf blower from home depot for $30, it will get rid of 95% of the water, then just the once over with a towel on stubborn corners, and that's it.
Old 06-12-02, 12:20 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I do to help dry off the car is... I get in the car and drive it
at 100 mph down my street ! ok..ok...Well as fast as I can down my block. My neighbors think I am drunk or just crazy ..haha...anyway.... I then return and dry it with the Absorber (has to be just slighty damp) and then follow behind it with a terry cloth towel. Car is dry with no streaks! Then I begin the wax on wax off mission!