Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

93 SC400 brake felt soft

Old 03-12-01, 07:35 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Hi,

I just got a 93 SC400 with traction control. The brake felt very musshy and I thought it is a simple air in the brake lines. After bleedling the brake system, it still feel soft. I have not seen any leaks from the master cylinder yet.

Is there any special procedure when you bleed the brake system with traction control?
I used the cup and hose type to bleed the system. As of now, the whole brake system fluid is new, yet the brake still feel soft.
What did I do wrong? Or is it the master cylinder is gone?
Old 03-14-01, 05:33 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so many things to consider

If brakes are mushy first inspect the obvious...are the pads ok...if they are very wasted change them.

Bleed the system correctly usually rear first and then front. Also remember that there is an ABS unit with many hoses going in and out...all of those have to be free of air...they can actually have bubbles that will not come out on a regular bleeding procedure.

Inspect the master cylinder but usually is hard for it to be broken because what you'll get is a normal brake feel and then a fade.

Hope this helps.

Mind
Old 03-15-01, 05:13 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake

Mindflux,

The pads are in good conditions; I did bleed the brake correctly (at least I think I did), right rear first then left front, left rear then right front. I did this twice, I know that all old fluid is out. I used Dot 3 fluid.

At least the traction control is working.

Is there a procedure to check/bleed the ABS and the traction brake lines?

I am still waiting for the service manual, but what can I check/do while waiting for it.
Old 03-15-01, 05:14 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Another Suggestion

Just another suggestion. You might want to check your brake lines. I went throught the same thing with the feel of my brakes. It was suggested to me to replace my brake lines with Stainless Steel Lines. So I bought the set with The SupraTT Calipers. I have only installed the lines and It really did make a difference. MY car is a 92 and the lines were the originals. They say its possible for the old rubber lines can bulge under pressure.

Hope this helps!