Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Parking light access/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-02, 07:57 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking light access/replacement

Hey Folks,

I searched for a useful thread, but could not find one. I would think this has been discussed before.

95 LS400

I am trying to get to the fog light and upper side parking light. I removed the air filter intake and air filter to get to the right hand side and I can see by removing the battery I can get to the left side.

How do you remove the plastic piece that covers the back of the light and extends around the whole light assembly. It looks like it pops straight back. Probably not clear for those who have not looked at it, but is for those that have done it.

Thanks.

(Still searching too)
Old 05-18-02, 12:27 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to change the corner parking light bulb next to the regular light you have to first undo a screw located above it under the hood Then place a really thin screwdriver between both lights ( wrap a towel around the end so you don't damage the glass) and slowing pop out the lense. It is held in with prongs that pop in and out so be careful not to break it. You will need to apply a little pressure. The bulbs are either 194's or 168..I forgot which one at the moment. To change the fogs is a royal pain in the ***. Like you said there is a plactic housing around it that first has to be removed. I played with mine for freaking hrs and couldn't get it off so I finally gave up on changing those bulbs to the hid look.
This was just this past week so when I get around to it I may try to swing by Lexus and see if they can do it without a charge. I don't want to pay 200 bucks!!! lol
Old 05-19-02, 09:29 AM
Likecars
Rookie

So the side parking light is changed from the front, not the back like the main and fog lights! Thanks.
Old 05-19-02, 12:16 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Yes, the clear side parking lights and all the orange lens lights in the bumber are changed from the front. Your welcome. Just becareful when trying to pry(pop) it out. Its held in with prong type clips.
Old 05-19-02, 12:18 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

BTW, let me know how you made out! Thx
Old 05-22-02, 07:38 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Well, attempted to try the upper parking light next to the main beam. Found and removed the screw, move the assem. forward a bit. The white plastic piece that the cover sits in is very brittle. I put a little pressure to try and pop out the plastic lens piece, but the white back assembly wants to crumble. Appears the heat has made it brittle. To sum up.. I chickened out.

I stared at that black piece, blocking the fog light, for 20 minutes wondering how you get that out. I checked to see if you could reach up from the bottom. You can reach the lower parking lights but not the fog light.

Does someone have the maint diagram that shows how to reach the fog lights.

Is there a better spot to place this thread? My screen does not show the 'views' on the thread so you have no idea if folks just don't know or no ones reading the thread. I find it hard to believe with all these members topics like this haven't been tackled before.

At least one person has looked at it SLL400
Old 05-23-02, 09:22 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

So you chickened out did you.:eek: lol Oh well. For the fog light... remove the air intake on the passenger side and drive to the back of the lexus dealer where they do the service/repairs and just ask a mechanic to quickly come out and show you how to do it. Then throw him a tip. Don't go into the lobby to the service department and don't see the shop manager....just ask a mechanic that is working on a car!!!! He should have no problem coming out for a minute or so. If you go through the service department they will charge you. Just an idea.