Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 07:31 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a1exus

Look here for a thread I started about my experience with K&N replacement filter . I now get 24MPG avg with filter and L Tuned mufflers.

All this info is available with the search feature. You should try it. There's alot of good info available immediatly.

Murph
Old 05-12-02, 07:32 PM
Murph
Pole Position

oops , here's the thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Murph
Old 05-13-02, 01:05 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: air filter

Originally posted by a1exus
my question is

is there any suggestiosn on air filter other then stock one? should i get like super duper one that last longer and maybe gain some performance out of it?

thanks in advance
I'm using K&N OEM style air filter in my car. I use it mainly because it is reusable.

Here's a tip for doing a CAI (cold air intake) for your stock air box. Pop the hood and look for a piece of rubber that attaches on the hood (behind the grill). This piece of rubber acts as a barrier preventing bugs and some other dirty stuff entering into the intake. If you look closely, when you close the hood, this piece of rubber blocks the intake scoop. My suggestion is to get rid of this piece of rubber to get more air from the outside. When there's more air being drawn from the outside, the air box stays colder. I do feel the car gains a bit pick up especially on higher RPM.

The only down side is the air filter gets dirty a bit quicker. So, I highly recommend using a resuable air filter for this mod.
Old 05-13-02, 01:49 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Murph
a1exus

Look here for a thread I started about my experience with K&N replacement filter . I now get 24MPG avg with filter and L Tuned mufflers.

All this info is available with the search feature. You should try it. There's alot of good info available immediatly.

Murph
heh i'm aware how to use search it's just i rather to open my own tread due to there is some question that they didn't cover in other threads..

and i feel attention when i start my own
Old 05-13-02, 01:50 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: air filter

Originally posted by MGS4

I'm using K&N OEM style air filter in my car. I use it mainly because it is reusable.

Here's a tip for doing a CAI (cold air intake) for your stock air box. Pop the hood and look for a piece of rubber that attaches on the hood (behind the grill). This piece of rubber acts as a barrier preventing bugs and some other dirty stuff entering into the intake. If you look closely, when you close the hood, this piece of rubber blocks the intake scoop. My suggestion is to get rid of this piece of rubber to get more air from the outside. When there's more air being drawn from the outside, the air box stays colder. I do feel the car gains a bit pick up especially on higher RPM.

The only down side is the air filter gets dirty a bit quicker. So, I highly recommend using a resuable air filter for this mod.
may I ask what's CAI (cold air intake) needed for?

same for better air flow? basically extending air filter?
Old 05-13-02, 03:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

alexus - Colder air - denser air - denser charge - more power. Very, very slight ram effect.
Old 05-14-02, 01:49 PM
alexus
Pole Position

the whole post started as i wanted to change air filter.. now i'm thinkin.. i should probably go with whole intake.. and get that cold air box for intake.. or seperate so it will get cooler air..