Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

cigerette like smell in car Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 10:36 PM
Scott Gordon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigerette like smell in car Help

Hi I just bought a 93gs300 with 80000 .I have used enzyme spray and lysol spray through air intake which has killed the smell and hopefully any mold on the AC condenser but the cigerette smell comes back over night.
the leather seems to have the smell inbeded in it. Is there any product or process for removing smell for good ? I have used lyxol cleaner and conditioner which seems to work for about three days then the smell returns. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? is it the leather anyone have the same problem ?
also had the ac exhaust line blown clean.
thanks for your help Scott
Old 03-20-02, 04:52 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Try some Febreeze, maybe that will help

Old 03-20-02, 05:59 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe change out all the air filters for the ventilation system; just a guess.
Old 03-20-02, 12:38 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default odors

The BEST solution I havew found is something called "biozone pureroad" for about $80. It contains a UV lamp, a dc to dc up converter and a small fan.

You can help prevent the retrun of the mold and mildew smell, and maybe never incur the windshield fogging incident, by opening your windows and/or sunroof at night in the garage or under cover.

In their attempts to make the A/C evaporator efficient enough that it provides some dehumidification capability all the way down to 35F the Toyota/Lexus evaporator is made so very dense and complex that, once used, it retains a substantial level of moisture for several days. Providing an excellent breeding ground for mold and mildew spores, and enough moisture to completely fog over your windshield on cold mornings after its last use.
Old 03-22-02, 04:59 PM
BADGS400
Driver

I know there is some sort of fogger/ionizer or something like that to get rid of the smell, go to some local dealers or detailing shops they should have one and it will probably cost a few bucks to get this done, we used to have one at my work(we got to sample it to see if we wanted to buy it) it was 800 bucks!!! my boss said no he didnt want that hanging over the detailing section, though it would make him look bad(i worked at a toyota dealership)

i hope this helps you
Old 03-23-02, 04:54 AM
jgrooms
Driver

FWIW, baking soda has a reputation for removing odors. I filled a shoe box top with baking soda and placed it in my ES overnight. After a week of doing this my car smelled noticably cleaner. In your case it may take several weeks or months to completely eliminate the smoke odor.

Bear in mind that nothing will instantaneously remove odors, especially smoke. It took some time to put the odors in and it will take some time to get them out.

I would also recommend replacing the floormats if you haven't already done so.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-02, 04:47 PM
gs4power
Driver

I'd recommend you to use the Zymol leather cleaner (comes as a kit with the leather conditioner and it is part of Zymol's SUV line) periodically until the smell disapears. The leather in the GS doesn't have a sealant and this cleaner, in my experience, is the the one that's best absorbed by the leather. It brings back the natural smell of the leather (unlike the zaino and lexol). You'll see a change in color when the cleaner is absorbed but it will even out when it dries. I'm positive that multiple cleanings will remove the smell -at least from the leather. Then you can finish up with the conditioner.
The headliner could also retain a lot of cigarrete smell you might want to try here the other products recommended.
Old 03-25-02, 04:50 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vinegar and Hot Sun.

I never tired this but have heard from multiple sources that this really works.

You take a large bucket and fill the bottom about 1 in or more with vinegar. Put the bucket in the car on the floor.

Close all the windows and put car out in the sun.

The vinegar is supposed to absorb all the odors.

It will take a few days for the vinegar smell to go away but the car should be like new.

This was off Speed Vision but also confirmed that this is an old Dealership trick.

Last edited by alexulan; 03-25-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-11-02, 11:36 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used Car Dealers trick for smell

Take a coffee can with about half the coffee left in it (unused grounds) and half an apple resting sliced part up (exposed) in the grounds. Leave it in the car overnight or longer and your cigarette smell will go away...you should also make sure you clean/replace the A/C filters.
Old 08-27-02, 04:58 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

cut open half a watermellon and cleaned out the inside leaving only half a shell. pour in about 2 cups of flour, 1/2 a cup of baking soda, 1 ounce of vanilla and just a pinch of salt. Leave it in your car overnight.

In the morning, mix in some milk and place sliced tomatoes face up in the flour. Make sure you leave the car out in the sun all day and let the hot sun bake it. By nightfall, all oder will be gone and be replaced by a smell of home cooking

Old 08-27-02, 05:20 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Great thread

Look at all these totally different suggestions! Scott, make sure to try them all and let us know which works best.

This reminds me of that Seinfeld where the valet gives his car a "BO" smell. Unfortunately the ionizer didn't work for him and he had to sell the car!
Old 08-27-02, 05:58 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave your windows open a few nights see if it magically dissapears? or check for old socks or cig buds hanging around... You will never know what you will find. A friend of mine bought a used eclipse from some girl, ended up finding a used thong with some stains which was why the car had that funk. LoL Good luck bro!
Old 08-28-02, 10:47 AM
black sc
Pole Position

A bowl of vinegar as an offering to the cig god. Seriously, it does work if, you leave it overnight. Take it out before you drive it the next day of course and do not spill. If it is absorbed in the leather. You may have to use some leather cleaner(Lexol, Hide Food, etc) but, no guarantee it will work. The ionizers do the opposite and make everthing that is in the air magnetize to the seats, ceiling, dash, etc. It will make the smell linger unless, the ionizer is on. Besides, it will make your car more dusty and dirty due to debris in the air sticking to everything inside of the car. I have used one before. Skip that idea. You can also try steam cleaning the interior. I did that and it worked on my friends' car well.

Last edited by black sc; 08-28-02 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-28-02, 11:10 AM
Lvangundy

Mix two cups frog legs and gizzards eye.

Add chocolate meat (hah-filipinos will get that one) and roffsnoffs ickrum and heat.

No, serisouly..most of those methods above will do the trick. I bet if you combone all of them it would fix your problem. ;-)

Try cleaning and conditioning the leather. Try getting ahold of a household steam cleaner with the neck attachment and use it on the carpets and headliner (if you can get that angle.)
Old 08-28-02, 07:08 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

black SC

You're perfectly correct, ionizers cause "particles" floating in the air to attach themselves to the car's interior surfaces.

When was the last time you "smelled" a particle attached to an interior surface?

The idea is that after a period of time all of the airborne odor causing "particles" will have attached themselves and now it will be time to clean all of the interiro surfaces.

Quick Reply: cigerette like smell in car Help