Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 03:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Oil Pressure

Just a quick question, but i was just wondering where the oil pressure gauge in our lx470 should be at during idle. In the middle, or higher the better? Sorry if a stupid question, i just really don't know
Old 04-02-09, 05:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

factory oil pressure gauges are no more than a guess to show that there is oil pressure... (funny note, but in most fords, the oil pressure gauge goes to the middle as soon as there is voltage to it, it is not a gauge at all, it is a oil pressure switch)...

anyways, so long as the oil pressure gauge is above the bottom, there are no worries... if you want an accurate oil pressure, you will need to buy an aftermarket gauge... the oil pressure warning light will come on on the dash if oil pressure is below 5 psi...
Old 04-02-09, 06:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so i just checked it, and the oil pressure gauge is about a quarter between the bottom and the middle, just had an oil change. If you don't mind me asking, what could be a cause of a low oil pressure
Old 04-02-09, 06:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Ok, so i just checked it, and the oil pressure gauge is about a quarter between the bottom and the middle, just had an oil change. If you don't mind me asking, what could be a cause of a low oil pressure
sounds like yours is right where it should be... I would bet if you rev up the engine, the gauge will go up to middle or above... no problems there at all...

as far as oil pressure - well, first off, if there was no oil pressure or less than 5 psi and the warning light is on, most likely cause is low oil level...

as far as just low oil pressure, three things can cause that typically - most common is worn main bearings, next is worn oil pump, then one more possibility is that the oil pressure overpressure valve spring is loose or worn, allowing oil to bypass... Honestly, I don't know if the 470 has that overpressure valve, but afaik, most engines do or have something similar...
Old 04-02-09, 06:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Ok thanks for the info, really wished i had more mechanic knowledge so i wouldn't have to ask questions like this, but i don't, so i do haha
Old 04-02-09, 07:47 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea, the oil pressure gauge is nothing more than a dummy gauge. It simply says "yes i have pressure" or "no something is wrong"... This is why Lexus has steered away from using gauges, and just using lights. If the gauge moves, you're fine
Old 07-02-09, 04:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Hate to bring this back, but what if the oil gauge is higher, bout 1/4 from the top on starp up, could this have something to do with a certain smell i have been experiencing from what smells like the left front of the car? I thought the smell could be caused by a muffler and exhaust pipe that needs to be replaced but idk
Old 07-02-09, 07:28 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Hate to bring this back, but what if the oil gauge is higher, bout 1/4 from the top on starp up, could this have something to do with a certain smell i have been experiencing from what smells like the left front of the car? I thought the smell could be caused by a muffler and exhaust pipe that needs to be replaced but idk
Seems to be normal. When cold, the pressure will obviously be higher due to the thickness of the oil at colder temps. Not sure about a smell you're experiencing. Do you have any leaks?
Old 07-02-09, 07:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

No leaks anywhere, oil is never overly brown in a short period of time, 93 octane gas only used, always dealer serviced, and today i started the car, turned it off, then started it again, oil level is where i thought it should be and the smell seemed to be reasonably less or even gone. It is definitely coming from the front left wheel area, but there are no performance differences, no still averaging 14 mpg around town, all fluids are the same, i can't stand thinking about what the smell is coming from
Old 07-02-09, 08:52 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

No leaks anywhere, oil is never overly brown in a short period of time, 93 octane gas only used, always dealer serviced, and today i started the car, turned it off, then started it again, oil level is where i thought it should be and the smell seemed to be reasonably less or even gone. It is definitely coming from the front left wheel area, but there are no performance differences, no still averaging 14 mpg around town, all fluids are the same, i can't stand thinking about what the smell is coming from
What does it smell like? Maybe something got caught on the exhaust and is burning? Ive seen many time where plastic shopping bags you run over the freeway or street get caught on the exhaust and melt and burn. Over time they burn away and dont smell anymore, so this may or may not be your smell. It is also somewhat common for LX470's to crack the exhaust manifold, so you could possibly be smelling exhaust. The cracks, if any, are usually tiny and not visible to your eyes. But they are evident by a constant or rapid tick noise, that could be very faint, on cold startups.
Old 07-02-09, 08:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

It's definitely not a plastic bag, had both manifolds replaced in the spring, doesn't smell like gas and no smoke is coming from the exhaust or anywhere, no strange noises, but it does smell stronger when it is colder and it may be a mental thing, but depending on how much gas in the tank or where we get gas, the smell is stronger or weaker. I guess the smell i could best associate with the smell of a zamboni while resurfacing the ice....if you know what that smells like. As i said before though, after the initial start up and shut down, then start again, the smell is much weaker if not completely dispersed