Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Mobil 1 not fully synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 04:18 PM
GCM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Mobil 1 not fully synthetic?

I've known that Castrol Syntec is no longer a fully synthetic motor oil (http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters...csdefined.html) but I just read on another forum that since Mobil 1 lost that suit against Castrol that they too have switched over to a formula (Tri-synthetic) similar to Syntec to save money. Here is a cut and paste of what was posted on that forum:

------------------------
To: (list)
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: synthetic oil and yamaha
Hi Arjun, apparently, according to the definition of what a synthetic oil is from the SAE, it's perfectly legal to label a Group III Base oil as long as it meets the minimum performance requirements of a "synthetic" oil. In fact, Castrol Syntec was one of the first fully synthetic oils that switched from being fully synthetic, to being just a Group III Base oil. When Castrol continued to label their new Syntec formulation as a fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil sued Castrol because Mobil at the time was fully synthetic using nothing but 100% PAO's. They sued that Castrol shouldn't be able to call their "synthetically enhanced" motor oil a synthetic when there is absolutely nothing synthetic about it. About a year after losing their lawsuit against Castrol, Mobil changed the formulation on their Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to a bogus misleading "tri-synthetic" badge and did exactly what Castrol did with Syntec. Mobil 1 is now no longer a full synthetic and that really shows in the new tests results that have been done by Amsoil since Mobil 1 no longer scores as high with the new formulation. In fact, unlike Castrol, Mobil isn't even trying to hide it and it is written plain and clear on the side of the Mobil 1 bottle about it having Group III base oils. However, I think that Mobil is still one of the best of them out there, even if it's not fully synthetic anymore. Mobil's website is currently down, but they used to have some tech sheets on their website. It's sad what the world is coming to when a company can call basically an advanced dino oil a fully synthetic oil. I'm an avid Amsoil user, and the ironic thing, is that Amsoil used to purchase their base PAO's from Mobil.
----------------------

Has anyone else heard about this or confirm this news?
Old 02-27-02, 05:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure?

Mobil's site still uses the phrase fully synthetic quite a bit in their descriptions and details.....here's one example.

I'm no oil expert though; I might look deeper. Thanks for the heads up.
Attached Thumbnails Mobil 1 not fully synthetic?-untitled.gif  
Old 02-28-02, 02:50 PM
aerodyne
Driver School Candidate

Question

Are you sure of your info? check out this link:

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/Mo...7?OpenDocument

aerodyne
Old 03-08-02, 06:53 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

That is why I switched to Royal Purple 2 years ago.
Old 03-14-02, 10:17 AM
BADGS400
Driver

hey guys this might sound dumb but what is the advantage over sythetic over just regular stuff is it the mileage, if it just that i could car less i chang my oil every 500 miles yep thats right, ive been doing this for about 5 months now and it comes out the same color as it went in(just about) my engine better love me
Old 03-17-02, 08:36 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Every 500 miles! Your going to wear out the drain plug. The synthetic will reduce bearing wear, easy to start in the winter, oil will last longer (at least 500 miles), has a higher temp rating, etc.
Old 03-17-02, 08:54 PM
BADGS400
Driver

guess there is some good things to synthetic nothing really important though. free oil and filters for me since i work at toyota, and any retard that wears out a drain plug just needs to take there car to a shop for EVERYTHING, anyone that overtightens or cant get the drain of easly is a complete RETARD, changin oil often does nothing but good things to you car, and is probbly the easist thing to do for a car besides putting gas in it
Old 03-19-02, 08:15 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Changing your oil every 500 miles is just plain wasteful . I bet there are no advantages than doing it at 3000 miles .

Go ahead and keep changing it at that rate , we have plenty of oil to waste , since Mother Earth has too much oil .

Would you be doing this if you had to pay for the oil and filter out of your pocket ? Well it really doesn't matter cause oil and oil filters doesnt cost a arm and a leg .
Old 03-23-02, 09:37 AM
BADGS400
Driver

right there is no advantages to doing this...... i guess i wouldnt have cleaner oil....or running better engine, and i dont give a *** about mother earth, i waste a good 5 gallons every week of oil, it gets recycled so who care, after im done changin my oil, i run new oil through it for about 30 secodns to clear out everything....do i give a ***....no not at all, it gets recycled and how much im wasting doesnt matter, oil spills happen ALL THE TIME wasting thousands and thousands of gallons of PURE oil....thats wastfull...yes ive seen it happen in real life it ruins the ocean...the beaches....the plants&animals...if you want to complain about something complain about that
Old 04-11-02, 05:25 PM
GCM
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy The debate continues...........

Rumors about Mobil 1 no longer being fully synthetic are spreading..........time to change to Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=313674

Old 04-11-02, 07:13 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mobil1 is no longer synthetic. their base is hydrocrcaked now. If you want fully synthetic there's valvoline and quaker state for cheapos . if you want real stuff: redline, neo, amsoil, royal purple. now, mobil1 is supposed to come out with some big news on 4/15/02 - maybe they've switched back to fully synthetic?????
Old 04-13-02, 10:27 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I hope this is only a rumor, I've been using Mobil 1 0w30 in my car every 4,000 miles:eek: If it is true I need to change to another synthetic oil, maybe Amsoil or royal purple
Old 04-14-02, 03:37 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will have to coreect my previous post. Mobil1 IS FULLY SYNTHETIC. there's still a lot of debate if they should be clasified as a Group III or Group IV lube. this oil should be perfectly good for your car. Royal purple didn't prove itself with the latest results and Amsoil is never clear on they have in their oil (it probably belongs in the GroupIV). If you want the most protections stick with group V oils (Redline, Neo, Motul). The last ones are the ones I would feel comfortable with when extending my drain intervals to roughly 20K miles.
Old 07-30-02, 02:30 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hope

Originally posted by BADGS400
right there is no advantages to doing this...... i guess i wouldnt have cleaner oil....or running better engine, and i dont give a *** about mother earth, i waste a good 5 gallons every week of oil, it gets recycled so who care, after im done changin my oil, i run new oil through it for about 30 secodns to clear out everything....do i give a ***....no not at all, it gets recycled and how much im wasting doesnt matter, oil spills happen ALL THE TIME wasting thousands and thousands of gallons of PURE oil....thats wastfull...yes ive seen it happen in real life it ruins the ocean...the beaches....the plants&animals...if you want to complain about something complain about that

I hope that there is hope for people like you and your children who will be worse off because of your environmentally challenged attitude
Old 08-26-02, 06:26 PM
kasper634
Rookie

i heard mobil1 is the best oil out there, ive been using other "sunthetic oils" and after i did my oil change the oil would be black when i drained it. i asked one of my mechanics why its like that he says becuase of the engine temperature it turns it black. he told me to try mobile one and ever since ive had no problems, jsut the first time i changed my oil. but after thats its nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 not fully synthetic?