Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

99gs400 left key on and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 07:19 AM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99gs400 left key on and now wont start

Hi guys I need some help. I was cleaning my car last month and left the ignition key on. When I went to start it the battery was dead. I recharged it and it spun but would not start. I checked all the fuses and everything looked good. I remember my Supra has an igniter that will burn out if you leave the key on. Does anyone have any info on testing?

I really want to get the car running it has been sitting for over a month. I was going to keep it but now I am just going to paint it and sell it. I have too many cars and now with a baby I just can't keep it, no time. I put a rebuilt motor in my supra and the new fuel pump quit and haven’t Evan touched it. I have way too many projects. I am actually disappointed I waited this long to work on it. I might need to drain the gas in the tank it is a couple months old. Before this the car ran perfect, Ice cold air and all. I just got my wife a new car and was going to keep it as a 3rd but I don’t even have the time. So any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-07-08, 03:08 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

try with a new battery or a jumpstart instead of using your "recharged" battery
Old 12-07-08, 03:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if it turns over (quickly), but doesn't start, then you are missing something... key elements to a vehicle starting are fuel, spark, and air (compressed)... check for spark by pulling a spark plug boot while someone tries to start the car - careful not to shock yourself... if you have spark, need to check fuel... this is harder to check for, but can be done numerous ways... if you don't have a way to hook up a fuel pressure gauge, then I would find the fuel line where it runs into the fuel rail... cycle the key a few times, then undo the fuel line from the fuel rail - it should spray fuel with some pressure (careful with this, it will be flammable) - this will give you a general idea if the pump is making pressure or not...
Old 12-07-08, 04:13 PM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to spend a little time on it before it got cold. I have a signal so spark is good. My battery is new and I tried it with my jumper on. With spark and it spinning like it is not even trying to fire I figured my fuel is bad. I sprayed some starter fluid down the intake and it started and ran real rough for a sec. Well I want to get all the fuel out. I could not shove a hose down the tank. I guess something blocking maybe a screen. So I disconnected the fuel line to the manifold and turn the key on and some nasty gas came out for a couple secs while the fuel pump ran. I need to try and trace the wire to the fuel pump or relay and see if I can manually keep the pump on to empty the tank. I forgot I have my friends OBDC Code reader I borrowed to fix my neighbors van. I tested and no codes came. I just hope my pump and injectors still work fine, and its not a pain to change the fuel filter. I have a few questions

1. Anyone know where to download the dealer manual online for free

2. Does any know know what wire I can jump to keep the pump running.

3. Are there any links to fuel filter removal. I heard my fuel filter is in tank and I have to remove the tank to get to it. Any info appreciated...

Thanks everyone for your help..