Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Could This Damage Your Car? Engine Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 07:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
All this "excess" maintenance is just asking for trouble.
I don't believe in excess maintenance, but I do believe in a little more maintenance than car manufacturers sometimes do...

I'd like to know why you believe it is asking for trouble... What could replacing coolant, oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, or having the tires balanced more often, wheels aligned more often make it so that you are asking for trouble? It seems to me that although some could argue you are wasting money, no one would argue it's asking for trouble...
Old 12-02-08, 07:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I don't believe in excess maintenance, but I do believe in a little more maintenance than car manufacturers sometimes do...

I'd like to know why you believe it is asking for trouble... What could replacing coolant, oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, or having the tires balanced more often, wheels aligned more often make it so that you are asking for trouble? It seems to me that although some could argue you are wasting money, no one would argue it's asking for trouble...
Why? An engine flush is excess maintenance, that's why. It's a waste of money and can cause damage. Poorly executed injector cleaning, same.

Replacing coolant, trans fluid, brake fluid, engine oil, is recommended maintenance per Lexus owner's manual and is money well spent.
Old 12-02-08, 08:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Why? An engine flush is excess maintenance, that's why. It's a waste of money and can cause damage. Poorly executed injector cleaning, same.

Replacing coolant, trans fluid, brake fluid, engine oil, is recommended maintenance per Lexus owner's manual and is money well spent.
So, all these guys on here (and every other board I've ever frequented) that religiously use seafoam, that they are wrong, and they should just let engine oil sludge up (yes, over many miles, even the best will leave deposits), and that the injectors will never ever get dirty (I guess RC Engineering charges $40 per injector for absolutely nothing at all) Intake manifold cleaning (usually part of a fuel injection cleaning service) that gets rid of some carbon deposits...

Sure, Lexus doesn't have any recommendations on these, because they don't care what happens after the car has 100k miles on it.... After that, you are well past any warranty you could have purchased... Lexus would rather you replace injectors than clean them... I would bet if you called the Lexus dealer, you would find they sell a fuel injection service as well... Wait, I'll save ya the phone call: http://www.nalleylexusroswell.com/MiscPage
Old 12-02-08, 10:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
So, all these guys on here (and every other board I've ever frequented) that religiously use seafoam, that they are wrong, and they should just let engine oil sludge up (yes, over many miles, even the best will leave deposits), and that the injectors will never ever get dirty (I guess RC Engineering charges $40 per injector for absolutely nothing at all) Intake manifold cleaning (usually part of a fuel injection cleaning service) that gets rid of some carbon deposits...

Sure, Lexus doesn't have any recommendations on these, because they don't care what happens after the car has 100k miles on it.... After that, you are well past any warranty you could have purchased... Lexus would rather you replace injectors than clean them... I would bet if you called the Lexus dealer, you would find they sell a fuel injection service as well... Wait, I'll save ya the phone call: http://www.nalleylexusroswell.com/MiscPage
Please feel free to believe whatever you want, it's your right. I don't care. You can call them yourself, I won't be waiting.
Old 12-03-08, 06:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Please feel free to believe whatever you want, it's your right. I don't care. You can call them yourself, I won't be waiting.
Here, I'll help ya out...

Just as an FYI, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommend this service as often as every 15k miles... And why would a Lexus dealer recommend something that Lexus doesn't? Because there is more to maintenance of a car than what the manufacturer recommends...
Old 12-05-08, 01:51 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

I pour a bottle of SeaFoam into my empty tank before a fill up after every oil change!
Old 12-05-08, 04:34 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

when i use to own a subaru, the dealer would recommend using a bottle of bg44k which is similar to seafoam before a oil change... they never told me its not recommended...

for anyone with fuel injection expertise, would this be a better solution to cleaning injectors instead of using additives that flows right back into your engine? chec kthe vid. its pretty convincing.
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorvideo1.php4
Old 12-05-08, 06:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike813
when i use to own a subaru, the dealer would recommend using a bottle of bg44k which is similar to seafoam before a oil change... they never told me its not recommended...

for anyone with fuel injection expertise, would this be a better solution to cleaning injectors instead of using additives that flows right back into your engine? chec kthe vid. its pretty convincing.
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorvideo1.php4
Definitely a good idea... And there's your proof why injector cleaning is a good idea... The problem with that type of injector cleaning is that, well, you have to pull the injectors out of the car, send them off and wait to get them back... most places charge $40 or so per injector, then there's the labor of actually removing them... Great idea, but you can buy new injectors for not a lot more money... (I used to be able to get RC Engineering 550cc injectors for $50 ea, not sure where they are price wise anymore)