Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 10:48 AM
waymay1305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

I get numerous compliments on how quiet and smooth my 08 es 350 runs. Does anyone use any type of fuel additive like Techron or Lucas UCL, Redline SL or Amsoil? Are they even recommended?
Old 11-17-08, 03:51 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Techron is probably one of the best additives out there... It wouldnt hurt to run it in your car even now and then.
Old 11-18-08, 09:05 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I use shell's Gumout Regane.....$4 at WM.....best bang for the buck. I bottle every 5k miles right before an oil change.
Old 11-18-08, 09:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't add anything right now if your car is already quiet/smooth. However as soon as you rack up the miles, I recommend the Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner. It lubricates your injector o-rings while its cleaning your injects. Made a good difference on my car!.
Old 11-24-08, 08:44 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I dump a bottle of seafoam in the tank before every oil change, and every 3rd oil change (15,000 miles) i suck seafoam through the vacuum system.
Old 11-24-08, 09:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I tested a bunch of them when I was living in Mexico, because of the gasoline, and found that Redline's Fuel System cleaner worked the best of the bunch. I don't think you need that yet, but running a bottle of Techron once a year should do just fine if you are running premium U.S. gas. I just used the Redline cleaner on my girlfriend's Expedition, she runs 87, and it cleaned it out pretty well...meaning the difference is quite noticeable.

Amsoil's cleaner also did a very good job south of the border, but I'd rate the Redline a bit higher.
Old 11-25-08, 06:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I tested a bunch of them when I was living in Mexico, because of the gasoline, and found that Redline's Fuel System cleaner worked the best of the bunch. I don't think you need that yet, but running a bottle of Techron once a year should do just fine if you are running premium U.S. gas. I just used the Redline cleaner on my girlfriend's Expedition, she runs 87, and it cleaned it out pretty well...meaning the difference is quite noticeable.

Amsoil's cleaner also did a very good job south of the border, but I'd rate the Redline a bit higher.
Did you know there is no difference in the additives between 87 and 89 and 91 and 93 (depending on where you live, you get different options)... By law, the government says that the three must have the same additives, thus the only difference is the octane rating between them. So, just because she uses 87 does not make her car any cleaner or dirtier than had she used the same brand of gasoline in a higher octane rating...
Old 11-25-08, 09:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Did you know there is no difference in the additives between 87 and 89 and 91 and 93 (depending on where you live, you get different options)... By law, the government says that the three must have the same additives, thus the only difference is the octane rating between them. So, just because she uses 87 does not make her car any cleaner or dirtier than had she used the same brand of gasoline in a higher octane rating...
From my personal experience, the 87 octane doesn't do as good a job at cleaning as the 93 octane. Maybe I was prejudiced too much by my bad experience in Mexico and their quality of gasolines. That being said, that doesn't mean that one has to use 93 or the highest octane all the time. I think a good cleaner will wind up cleaning up after any issue, even if one uses 87 octane.
Old 11-30-08, 09:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run nothing but Chevron premium gas in my cars and never use additional additives. That's just my practice.
Old 12-01-08, 06:48 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't add anything right now if your car is already quiet/smooth. However as soon as you rack up the miles, I recommend the Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner. It lubricates your injector o-rings while its cleaning your injects. Made a good difference on my car!.
I'm gonna try out the Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner this weekend. Hopefully it fixes my gas mileage issue. If it doesnt, what else should be replaced?
Old 12-04-08, 02:19 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

BG 44K is what I use, 98 gs400. runs like a r@ped ape.
Old 12-09-08, 01:41 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use the Slick 50 fuel system cleaner once a year with no issues. Seemed to be worth the money.
Old 12-10-08, 09:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
EPA has a minimum standard for all gas sold, but different brands add their own additives on top of the government mandate.
Old 12-10-08, 10:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
EPA has a minimum standard for all gas sold, but different brands add their own additives on top of the government mandate.
Yes and the "top tier" gasolines (including Chevron and Shell) are consistently higher quality and are used by the major auto companies for emissions testing, etc.
Old 12-10-08, 10:07 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes and the "top tier" gasolines (including Chevron and Shell) are consistently higher quality and are used by the major auto companies for emissions testing, etc.
Yup... I think you'll find that they use the same detergents throughout their whole lineup though... AFAIK, at a Chevron location, all three octanes will all have the same additive pack; and same goes for Shell, etc....

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives