Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Just what exactly is inside that oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 06:14 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As requested the AMSOIL EaO57 oil filter for 1997 SC 400 1uzfe

As you can see, its a nice filter on the inside. Full metal construction for the filter element (besides the filter media). Silicone Anti drain back valve that stays flexible in extreme temperature. HNBR gasket on the base for long life and a great seal. Hardcore Bypass valve assembly. Wire backed full synthetic media has high efficiency and good life. Rated 98.7 % efficient at 15 microns.

djspawn00: I will check on the mobile 1 filter as soon as I get a chance
Old 11-26-08, 01:26 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

If you do OE, make sure it's the 90915-20004 Toyota Denso filter.

I've never used anything but that filter, and Mobil1 Synthetic.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217

Last edited by emoshun; 11-26-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 10:44 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun
If you do OE, make sure it's the 90915-20004 Toyota Denso filter.

I've never used anything but that filter, and Mobil1 Synthetic.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217

I'm actually getting an oil change again, and I've noticed that when I start up the car (I'm running the K&N gold) I have to hold the key in the "on" ignition slightly longer for the engine to start, whereas other people's cars turn it on and it'll start. I heard that it has something to do with the oil filter, and that the OEM ones do not cause the engine to do that. Now, why is the Denso one so much better then the OE Toyota ones? Also, is the Denso better then the Amsoil? I regularly maintain the car, and I really do not know what the oil filter does other then ... filter the oil. All this talk about microns, etc. is kind of confusing me, enlighten me please, but I will just google this anyways.
Old 12-02-08, 06:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I'm actually getting an oil change again, and I've noticed that when I start up the car (I'm running the K&N gold) I have to hold the key in the "on" ignition slightly longer for the engine to start, whereas other people's cars turn it on and it'll start. I heard that it has something to do with the oil filter, and that the OEM ones do not cause the engine to do that. Now, why is the Denso one so much better then the OE Toyota ones? Also, is the Denso better then the Amsoil? I regularly maintain the car, and I really do not know what the oil filter does other then ... filter the oil. All this talk about microns, etc. is kind of confusing me, enlighten me please, but I will just google this anyways.
Um, I would love to hear the argument why the oil filter has ANYTHING to do with starting of the car... There may be vehicles out there that have some sort of oil pressure requirement prior to starting the car, but I've not seen any...

All an oil filter does, is, well, filter the oil, just like you said... a micron is a unite of measurement, quite small indeed - filters can be measured in how well they filter our particles in the oil, these particles are so small they are measured in microns wide...

If your car is taking a little longer to start than usual, could be a slightly weak battery, starter, or, just one of those things... (one of those things could be a slow to respond sensor, or a multitude of other things that you needn't worry about until it gets worse)
Old 12-06-08, 06:48 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

I also don't think that an oil filter has anything to do with your car taking longer to start.
Old 12-06-08, 03:30 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
If your car is taking a little longer to start than usual, could be a slightly weak battery, starter, or, just one of those things... (one of those things could be a slow to respond sensor, or a multitude of other things that you needn't worry about until it gets worse)

Plus perhaps a combination with winter weather. All things being equal, that colder temps might have an effect on a lot of your car's operation, but related to starting up, perhaps most noticeably the output of your battery and maybe to some degree the volatility of fuel. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with your car
Old 12-06-08, 05:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh, just proved myself wrong... Some diesel trucks have an oil pressure requirement prior to starting...