Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

A/C system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 09:05 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C system question

Hello, there!

Just wanted to see if anyone had any similar problem.
I noticed lately that when I turn the A/C on, the air starts smelling very musty/moldy to the point where having other people in the car can become a problem. As soon as the A/C is turned off, the air coming out of the vents gets really moist. This is all happening with normal humidity outside.

It feels like some moisture is building up somewhere in the system and has no way to escape (other than inside the cabin). I am also slightly worried about health effects of mold in my A/C system.

I have spoken to a Lexus maintenance rep and he recommended that I run the ventilation system on re-circulation, highest heat and A/C on for a while to dry the system out (to avoid taking the dash apart). I did that a couple of times (~20min total), but I can't say that it helped.

Does anyone know the probable / likely causes of this?

I have had the car for a while, but this started happening several months ago. Also, the car had a central airbag sensor replaced several months ago, which required the dash to come off - I wonder if the two are related.

Any info is appreciated - thanks!
Old 10-15-08, 09:50 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a problem on SC's as well and believe it was tied to condensor being clogged and stale water accumulating or some of the condensor lines/drains are clogged. Also some folks stated to check cabin air filters as well.

Have you felt under the dash for any moisture on carpets or floormats?
Old 10-15-08, 11:46 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
This is a problem on SC's as well and believe it was tied to condensor being clogged and stale water accumulating or some of the condensor lines/drains are clogged. Also some folks stated to check cabin air filters as well.

Have you felt under the dash for any moisture on carpets or floormats?
Thanks for the reply!...
No, I have not checked for moisture, but I will when I drive the car home tonight. It is definitely water accumulating somewhere in the system (as a result of condensation?) and unable to escape / drain.

Would you happen to know what would be the ballpark cost to fix something like this? (I am assuming that labor is a (very) significant part of the cost here - these parts are probably not very easy to get to).
I don't have experience with that type of work, so it would be nice to have a frame of reference before I approach dealers / mechanics.
Old 10-15-08, 03:18 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not condensor that you're talking about. It's the Evaporator drain hose on the GS is locate on the passenger side firewall. Some time when you go to the quick lube service station the lube tech guy just put a bolt into the hose to stop the water from dipping on their head and forgot to remove the bolt. Now, the water don't have any where to drain out. I've seen this all the time and sometime it will get about over a gallon of water inside the evaporator housing.

If you look from underneath the passenger side near the firewall you will see a black rubber hose sticking out. If you run your a/c you will see water dipping out from that hose.
Old 10-15-08, 04:25 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVT-i
It's not condensor that you're talking about. It's the Evaporator drain hose on the GS is locate on the passenger side firewall. Some time when you go to the quick lube service station the lube tech guy just put a bolt into the hose to stop the water from dipping on their head and forgot to remove the bolt. Now, the water don't have any where to drain out. I've seen this all the time and sometime it will get about over a gallon of water inside the evaporator housing.

If you look from underneath the passenger side near the firewall you will see a black rubber hose sticking out. If you run your a/c you will see water dipping out from that hose.
After you drain all that water out... you'll need to clean the mold that will probably start growing inside of the evaporator.
Old 10-15-08, 05:19 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Thank you all for your replies - I will definitely try and look for moisture on the carpet and check the evaporator drain hose as well.

I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt - this forum is never short on ideas, that's for sure

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-08, 03:00 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a a/c vent flush that came in a can from Auto Zone when I was doing the A/C in my honda. Its designed to be sprayed into the vents and clean out any mold ect, and had a pretty decent scent as well.

May want to check around at the local Auto Zone and see if you can find some, and give it a try.