Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Turns over but wont start. Alternator fuse melted. Timing belt issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 11:20 AM
Jcom7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turns over but wont start. Alternator fuse melted. Timing belt issue?

I have a 93 SC400 with a brand new battery and alternator. After driving 90 miles my car sat for about 7 hours. I got in, turned the key, and the everything went dead. My negative battery connection was loose so i tightened it up. I then turned the key and the car will turn over like it is about to start, but will not start. It seems to turn over very easily. I opened the fuse box under the hood. The fuse labled ALT150v was melted. It melted not only the fuse but the plastic around it. I cannot remove the fuse. I dug out the melted plastic around the fuse and it looks like the metal in the fuse is still together (like it never blew). I stretched it out to create an upside down U shape to try to pull it out, but no luck.

Any suggestions?
Should my car start even though the fuse is blown?
Since the metal in the fuse is still connected does that mean the fuse didnt blow?
Is it possible that my timing belt is broken?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-08, 04:22 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You battery terminal was loose may cause the damage to the 150 Amps fuse and surrounding wire. The 150 Amps fuse is the main fuse and bolted down with an 8 mm and a 10mm bolt to hold it in the fuse block. I think it's time to tow it to the shop.
Old 09-12-08, 04:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

if you manage to pull the main fuse, you can bridge the fuse connection terminals with tin foil and the car should start and run normally for the timeit takes you to get to autozone to get the fuse, providing no wires were damaged.

BUT...

If you blew a fuse, there was a reason for it. And were I you I would figure that out before attempting this. Unless your my brother and puched a flathead screwdriver through the oil filter and across the contacts of the alternator on the ZX-2...in that case we knew what blew the fuse...the stupidity of my younger bro.
Old 09-12-08, 08:57 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to agree with VVTi here.. You need to get that car into a shop, so they can inspect the wiring and replace the fuse properly. I doubt your timing belt is problem. If it was, it would crank faster than normal, and not sound like its going to fire. Im guessing its an electrical issue, but thats pretty obvious.
Old 12-08-08, 10:26 AM
Jcom7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys guys. Well that part of my issue ended the next day. I went to start my car and it started right up. It WAS the ground terminal.
Old 12-08-08, 10:31 AM
Jcom7
Driver School Candidate

Now the car is having another similar problem...

I looked under the car at the alternator and it is full of grease / oil. I read somewhere that these cars have problems with the power steering pumps leaking onto the alternator and shorting it out.

What happens now is with a full battery charge, I put in the key to start the car and it will not turn over. No dash lights will come on. BUT...the horn, hazard lights, interior lights do work.

The whole mess is just a pain. I think it is an electrial short somewhere and I will probably have to bring it into the dealer and pay $1000+ go get it all straightened out. Good thing is that the alternator has a lifetime warranty (but its not covered if other components leak on it, so hopefully that part will slide by)