Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake Squeeking Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 05:06 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Squeeking Question

This is kind of a 101 question but I don't know the answer. What causes brakes to squeek? Also, when they squeek does that mean that they will need to be replaced soon?
Old 08-02-08, 06:49 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

There are a lot of things that can make them squeak. Probably 2/3 of the time, though, it's the wear sensor scraping against the rotor and telling you that your brakes are shot and need to be replaced.
Old 08-02-08, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Sometimes it's the nature of the pads. High performance ones (like Axis Ultimates) squeak on low speeds stops once they hot (I LOATHED those pads).

Sometimes its dust/rust/dirt on the pads. This can sometimes be alleviated by 3 or so HARD STOPs with the brakes.

And sometimes the pads are just worn out.
Old 08-03-08, 06:26 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Sometimes it's the nature of the pads. High performance ones (like Axis Ultimates) squeak on low speeds stops once they hot (I LOATHED those pads).

Sometimes its dust/rust/dirt on the pads. This can sometimes be alleviated by 3 or so HARD STOPs with the brakes.

I should try this. It is on my Range Rover and it only has 12,000 miles of mixed driving. I hope I don't have to replace yet!!!
Old 08-03-08, 10:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Even brand new brakes (pads/rotors) can squeak... even new car manufacturers say that squeaking up to 20% of the time is perfectly normal... different things like humidity, outside temperature, brake pad material, rotor material, and more can cause it...

wear indicators typically make a squealing sound that goes away partially or completely when the brake pedal is depressed...

the only time I was ever able to find a combination that never squeaked was when I had slotted rotors on my 3000GT - the slots kept the pad material fresh and clean, thus no squeaking... downside - the pads wore quicker....
Old 08-03-08, 11:07 AM
icantsee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
There are a lot of things that can make them squeak. Probably 2/3 of the time, though, it's the wear sensor scraping against the rotor and telling you that your brakes are shot and need to be replaced.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Even brand new brakes (pads/rotors) can squeak... even new car manufacturers say that squeaking up to 20% of the time is perfectly normal... different things like humidity, outside temperature, brake pad material, rotor material, and more can cause it...
All these members are correct!!

Usually it's because the sensor is rubbing on the rotor to inform you that the brake pads are low.

I helped my friend install a full set of Front & Rear OEM pads & cross-drilled rotors. He does have this nasty sound when the weather is wet, but it goes away after 5mins of driving. (1995 Lexus SC300)

His brother has the same problem, but after applying brake grease on the piston & the back of the brake pad backing plate...it went away.

I was never a believer in the brake grease.

And finally...my brother use to drive his other car once/week, and we park it outside, so the rotors will have rust. So when he drives it, it will squeak for 5mins & then goes away.

Anywho...with all this squeaks that these people are occuring, it does go away within a few minutes, and their braking power has always been constant. So there's nothing to worry about.
Old 08-07-08, 01:33 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also look into the brake pad fitting hardware. Probably more apparent in older cars like my 93 sc. They were rusted/worn out on mine. I replaced the fronts and no more strange noises coming from the front brakes. The rears are a different story.
Old 08-07-08, 09:04 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my rotors turned and the squeaking reduced, however they still will squeak at low speeds on occasion. I believe it also has alot to do with the pads positioning. The squeaks were also reduced after I had my Front LCA's replaced. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-08, 03:45 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Semi-Metallic pads squeel -_-.... like mine... sigh...
Old 08-30-08, 03:55 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vwynn
Semi-Metallic pads squeel -_-.... like mine... sigh...
Yea I used to have the same type of pads with the same noises. I could not stand it anymore so I switched them out to oem.
Old 08-30-08, 09:58 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMole
Yea I used to have the same type of pads with the same noises. I could not stand it anymore so I switched them out to oem.
most Lexus vehicles use semi-metallic pads from the factory...

for instance, your SC300... semi-metallic, for sure...
Old 08-30-08, 11:48 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Never knew that. I always thought they were ceramic. Must have been the pbr semi-metallics I was using that made the noise.
Old 09-14-08, 11:46 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMole
Never knew that. I always thought they were ceramic. Must have been the pbr semi-metallics I was using that made the noise.
You're right--the Lexus OEM pads are ceramic. It makes them nice and quiet. Akebono, a well-respected OEM and aftermarket manufacturer, uses ceramic pads as well in their premium ProAct series.
Old 09-15-08, 05:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SeattleGS400
You're right--the Lexus OEM pads are ceramic. It makes them nice and quiet. Akebono, a well-respected OEM and aftermarket manufacturer, uses ceramic pads as well in their premium ProAct series.
~SOME~ OEM Lexus pads are ceramic... Not all... Although I don't have the book in front of me, I know for sure that earlier model SC's used semi-metallic pads... Ceramic was not invented to keep brakes quiet, in fact, ceramics usually make more noise than semi-metallic when new... But they don't leave that black nasty dust on your wheels, and they don't tend to wear rotors and such quite as unevenly, so when the brakes are almost worn out, they are typically quieter than semi metallics... Ceramics have good fade resistance, but semi-metallics are typically better... You will not find a ceramic pad on a race track anywhere, I assure you.

Back to the original topic - get the type of pad that the vehicle came with - rotors, calipers even, were designed with that pads harmonics in mind (essentially all a squeak or squeal is, is an undamped vibration in the auditory range)...
Old 09-15-08, 06:15 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
~SOME~ OEM Lexus pads are ceramic... Not all... Although I don't have the book in front of me, I know for sure that earlier model SC's used semi-metallic pads... Ceramic was not invented to keep brakes quiet, in fact, ceramics usually make more noise than semi-metallic when new... But they don't leave that black nasty dust on your wheels, and they don't tend to wear rotors and such quite as unevenly, so when the brakes are almost worn out, they are typically quieter than semi metallics... Ceramics have good fade resistance, but semi-metallics are typically better... You will not find a ceramic pad on a race track anywhere, I assure you.

Back to the original topic - get the type of pad that the vehicle came with - rotors, calipers even, were designed with that pads harmonics in mind (essentially all a squeak or squeal is, is an undamped vibration in the auditory range)...
I agree with you on this one--should have qualified my answer--the 2nd gen GS300/400 pads are cermic Semi-metallics tend to work better, however, they do create more dust and can wear down your rotors quicker. And yes, if you don't know what to use, stick with OEM--you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeeking Question