Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

I turn the key and nothing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 12:35 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I turn the key and nothing??

Yesterday I went out to my SC3 for work and when I turned the igintion all the dash lights came like always, but when I turned it to start the car..........NOTHING. Not a single sound, no clicking, dimming, just complete silence. So I turned the car off and tried it again and it started with no problem.

Now today it did the samething It seems to only did this after sitting for the whole night, any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it?
Old 07-03-08, 01:58 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ignition is going out.
You need to replace it.
Old 07-03-08, 03:42 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

When you say ignition which part

Control Module

Ignition Switch

Coil
Old 07-03-08, 05:22 PM
khooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes starter motors stick and a good whack with a hammer or bar frightens them into life, make sure you're careful though.
Old 07-03-08, 06:07 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so it just happened again. My car has been sitting since 3:30 this afternoon.....so thats about 5 hours of just sitting. I went out to get a pizza and it would not start again. This time it would not start even after turning it off and on about 8 times. All the lights and everything work but no ignition. So I popped the hood unplug the igniter to see if there was something wrong with it. After I plugged it back in and tried to start the car the samething, but this time there was a clicking coming from the engine. Finally on the second try after reconnecting the ignitor it started right up.

I drove about 5 miles picked up my pizza and left the car running because I dont want to get stuck. When I get home I turn the car off wait a few minutes and try to turn it on and guess what...............it started right up no problem.

So at this point Im not sure if it is ignition or starter
Old 07-04-08, 06:54 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious do you think this could be spark plugs?
Old 07-05-08, 12:32 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds to me like it could be either your starter solinoid going out, or the ignition switch itself. If you're getting no crank what-so-ever, then its not your ignitor or spark plugs. Next time you go to crank and it doesnt start, keep the key turned in the start position and wiggle the key a bit. This can help you see if the ignition cylinder has bad contacts. Next step id take, is wait until it wont crank again, and have someone else try to crank it, while you listen real close under the hood near the starter to hear if its struggling. Usually you should be able to hear a high voltage type of sound from the starter trying to engage. Better yet, if you have an ammeter, you can check for draw when you are cranking. If it wont crank, but you're drawing a ton of amperage, then you likely have a bad starter
Old 07-05-08, 11:40 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Sounds to me like it could be either your starter solinoid going out, or the ignition switch itself. If you're getting no crank what-so-ever, then its not your ignitor or spark plugs. Next time you go to crank and it doesnt start, keep the key turned in the start position and wiggle the key a bit. This can help you see if the ignition cylinder has bad contacts. Next step id take, is wait until it wont crank again, and have someone else try to crank it, while you listen real close under the hood near the starter to hear if its struggling. Usually you should be able to hear a high voltage type of sound from the starter trying to engage. Better yet, if you have an ammeter, you can check for draw when you are cranking. If it wont crank, but you're drawing a ton of amperage, then you likely have a bad starter
Good advice thank you

Where should i test for amperage?
Old 07-05-08, 12:49 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Good advice thank you

Where should i test for amperage?
No problem.. You can check for amperage at the battery cables, either by using an inline ammeter or an inductive pickup. Either way, you should be able to see what kind of draw you are getting while cranking (or attempting to crank). You may also want to check the resistance in your power and ground cables to make sure you have a good chassis and engine ground.
Old 07-05-08, 03:15 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I just went out there and tried to wiggle the key while in the start position but nothing. I popped the hood and had my brother turn the key while I listened and all that happens is after holding the key in the start position for about 2 seconds I can hear a clicking from the igniter then an odd buzzing from what sounds like the middle of the engine after that dead silence.

I then unplugged the igniter/plugged it back in and tried it and I could hear the same thing a CLICK, buzzing and dead silence.

I'm starting to wonder if its the ECU

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 07-05-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-05-08, 03:51 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Are you sure the ignitor is clicking? And not a single solid click from the starter? It honestly sounds like you have a bad starter.
Old 07-05-08, 03:58 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Are you sure the ignitor is clicking? And not a single solid click from the starter? It honestly sounds like you have a bad starter.
LOL ha ha now this is bothering me. As of 6:50 tonight I went back out turned the key.....nothing.....turn the key nothing...........turn the key a third time starts up perfect no issues, I shut it off and tried it three more time and it was fine. If it was a starter would it start every so often?
Old 07-05-08, 04:18 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Yes...

When you turn the key, you are hearing a click or no? If you hear a single click, then nothing, you are likely looking at a new starter. What happens is that some of the contacts in the starter go bad, so it takes a bit to get it to crank, but other times, it stops on the right contact, and fires right back up.
Old 07-05-08, 04:22 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Yes...

When you turn the key, you are hearing a click or no? If you hear a single click, then nothing, you are likely looking at a new starter. What happens is that some of the contacts in the starter go bad, so it takes a bit to get it to crank, but other times, it stops on the right contact, and fires right back up.
AHHH that would make sense so basically there is dead spots on the starter so each time you turn the key it turning part of the starter. Would you recommend replacing the igniter, coil and switch as well as the starter seeing how those to might be going out sooner than later?
Old 07-05-08, 07:04 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

I would replace parts one at a time. No need to throw a bunch of parts at it Igniters and coils usually last a long time, same goes for ignition switches

Quick Reply: I turn the key and nothing??