Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake problem only one 1 wheel

Old 05-29-08, 03:15 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem only one 1 wheel

I have a big problem with the brakes om my car.
It's a 1994 sc400 with 130k miles on it and when you measure the braking it shows that the right rear wheel doesn't have enough braking power as it should have bit only the right rear wheel.
The other one are ok I recently changed the brakepads at all 4 wheels but a guy who always helps me with my car told me that I have to change the Hub assembly.
But I want other suggestions too I think it can be the rotor but maybe if someone try to explain to me why a hub assembly can cause that then maybe I'll buy one with more confidence because right now I'm not so sure and this guy who,helps me failed me a lot in the past so that's why I want a few suggestions.
Old 05-29-08, 03:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
I have a big problem with the brakes om my car.
It's a 1994 sc400 with 130k miles on it and when you measure the braking it shows that the right rear wheel doesn't have enough braking power as it should have bit only the right rear wheel.
The other one are ok I recently changed the brakepads at all 4 wheels but a guy who always helps me with my car told me that I have to change the Hub assembly.
But I want other suggestions too I think it can be the rotor but maybe if someone try to explain to me why a hub assembly can cause that then maybe I'll buy one with more confidence because right now I'm not so sure and this guy who,helps me failed me a lot in the past so that's why I want a few suggestions.
i can't say I've heard of a hub assembly causing a brake to not work properly....

how do you know that the braking power is not the same??? unevenly worn pads?

typically thats a contaminated brake line or a bad caliper... will need a little more diagnostic info to make a good recommendation...
Old 05-30-08, 03:34 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

It was tested on a machine when the lady slammed the brakes you could see that 3 needles show the correct amount of braking power and the one for the right rear wheel showed a substancially less amount of braking power.
Old 05-30-08, 04:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitsuguy is right. I would take the brake caliper and try to compress the caliper piston in and check all your sliding pins. You may have stuck caliper piston, stuck sliding pins or bad brake line.
Old 05-30-08, 08:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

alright, well, given that information, I'd like to know the difference in the readouts... test equipment is only as good as the operator, and I could see it being possible to really screw that up... however, I must admit, I've never seen this brake force measurement machine...

I'm also very curious as to why they are recommending replacing the hub, when that will not change braking force... braking force is almost always dependent on the condition of the calipers, caliper slide pins, and internal brake line condition... sometimes all ya need is some lube on the slide pins, sometimes the square cut seal inside the caliper is worn out and the caliper needs rebuilt/replaced, and, sometimes, the brake line is contaminated inside, restricting brake fluid flow...

most importantly, how does the car drive? find an open stretch of road, wide, flat, even surface, get up to a good speed, and hit the brakes, hard... does the car stop straight? does it pull to one side? so long as it stops straight, and the pads are wearing evenly, I truly wouldn't worry about it...
Old 05-30-08, 11:59 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
It was tested on a machine when the lady slammed the brakes you could see that 3 needles show the correct amount of braking power and the one for the right rear wheel showed a substancially less amount of braking power.
I think it is like the machines at the inspection station where the car is driven up to four pads on the floor and then they hit the brakes hard to check each wheel once on the pads. I think it either shows a green or red bar for pass or fail. They do it up here in Jersey. I agree with VVT-i
Old 05-31-08, 03:11 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

That's correct it is at an inpection station and they told me I Have to fix that that's why I wanna fix it but in driving you don't notice anything the car is not pulling on one side or anything like that it's just normal but when you drive it up onto that machine there's where you see the diference.
But Anyway Mitsuguy thanks for your help you're a good help for a lot of people on this forum I'm gonna check all the things you told me I think maybe it's caliper byt I'll check things out.
Old 05-31-08, 03:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

for a state inspection???

go to someone else... there is nothing in state law that says that all 4 wheels have to have the same amount of braking power...

I'm not at work, so I can't read it exactly word for word, but the vehicle has to be able to come to a complete stop from 20 mph in 30 feet I think, maybe its 40 feet... it also cannot have any noticeable pull side to side when braking, nor can the brakes make any grinding type noises... the only other things brake related is that there can be no fluid leaks, and the master cylinder level must be within the normal marks... the brake light also cannot be on on the dash (unless the ABS light is on as well, then it doesn't matter so long as there is fluid in the master cylinder)

If you are going to one of those drive thru inspection stations, they may be substituting the driving test by driving over one of the brake measurement things... take it somewhere else...

and, by all means, get it fixed if there truly is a safety issue, but, to me, it does not sound like there is...

where in Texas are you?