Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

what is proper restart procedure for car parked for more than 6 months?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 12:39 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is proper restart procedure for car parked for more than 6 months?

sorry for this post. i'm out of town where my internet access is limited and i haven't had the time to search.

back in january i had to drop everything and fly out of town to deal with a family emergency. i don't anticipate going back home until late june.

before i left i didn't have a chance to properly store my car. it's been parked outside where i live since january untouched. it was buried in snow the day i left, and it had only a half tank of gas and i was overdue for me 130k km service at the time. i'm not expecting too see anything good when i get back home

aside from the obviously dead battery, i would like to know what the proper restart procedure i should follow when i get back home.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-08, 12:54 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would drain the fuel tank, as the fuel will most definately be bad by then, if it isnt already. I would probably drain the oil and filter, charge the battery, and start her up.
Old 05-11-08, 04:03 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Discharged batteries can freeze and be ruined by the freezing. If you lived in Toronto, I'd say the battery would probably be shot, but I guess BC doesn't get that cold maybe. You should have disconnected the battery and brought it inside, in addition to adding some gasoline stabilizer to the tank and maybe putting the car on jack-stands (to prevent tire flat spots). But, too late now.
Old 05-11-08, 06:14 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

battery's 100% will be dead...stored mine for about 5 months now and started every week and still it manages to die
Old 05-11-08, 07:06 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

I wouldn't go draining the gas. But, change oil and coolant, get new batt and then just take it easy on the gas pedal til you get rid of the old gas. I left my 400hp talon sitting for 5 months while i was in spain, came back, changed the oil and coolant, loaded the map in the ecu, jump started it, took it easy til i got rid of the old gas and that was it. I did however put some gas preserver in the tank before i left, i forget what it's called.
Old 05-11-08, 07:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

6 months? just put a good battery in it, start it and drive it...

easy at first... after 50 miles or so, change the oil...

no need to do anything else unless upon inspection you find something that has deteriorated (belt, hose, tire, etc)

But realistically, 6 months isn't a whole lot at all.. gas should still be good, nothing to worry about - it won't be "as good" as when it was first put in the tank, but nothing wrong with taking it easy, then adding gas later to dilute any loss of octane...
Old 05-13-08, 09:37 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good thoughts by all, but consider the brakes first please. The rotors would likely have quite a bit of rust on them and thus would not stop very well and make weird grinding noises until cleaned up a a few uses. Dirve very carefully until then. If you applied the parking brake, it may be frozen. You should check this before attempting to drive off.
Old 05-13-08, 06:01 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would these procedures apply for 2 months parked cars?
Old 05-13-08, 06:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
would these procedures apply for 2 months parked cars?
2 months I wouldn't change a thing... so long as the battery still has a charge, you should be good...
Old 05-14-08, 11:02 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shud i be worry about flat spot on my tires? better to switch them to stock?
Old 05-24-08, 01:21 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by olmytsi
I wouldn't go draining the gas. But, change oil and coolant, get new batt and then just take it easy on the gas pedal til you get rid of the old gas. I left my 400hp talon sitting for 5 months while i was in spain, came back, changed the oil and coolant, loaded the map in the ecu, jump started it, took it easy til i got rid of the old gas and that was it. I did however put some gas preserver in the tank before i left, i forget what it's called.

i think you're talking about STA-BIL. i've used it before, but because of the circumstances this time around i wasn't able to do it

anyone else have any information they can add please? i'm a little less worried now but still would like other's input.