Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Anybody have this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 08:42 PM
D.K.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have this problem???

Today my dash started having a problem. The icon that designates a rear brake light being out is constantly on. I checked all the lights(brake, parking, back-up) all seem fine.

But here is the major issue........as I apply the brakes, the entire dash goes black except for:

1. The green "D" that indicates your in drive.

2. The red/orange "R" that indicates your in reverse.

3. The red icon indicating a rear brake light is out.

As I let off the brake and accelerate again, the dash comes back to normal, EXCEPT the brake/tail light icon stays on all the time.
As I brake the cycle repeats itself.

Has anyone experienced this before? And what did you do to correct the problem.

Thx.........
Old 02-08-02, 09:59 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default I know! I know!

I've seen this before. But not too often anymore. You have a broken wire or wires at the left rear trunk hinge. Another clue to this is the lights in the trunk lid are all inop. Peel the plastic cover from the hing to expose the wire loom. Pull out the section of loom that runs along the hing. The section that has a tight turn to it has a broken wire or wires. Unwrap the black tape to expose the wires. Don't soder the wires where they are broken. They will break again from the opening and closing of the trunk. Soder in a whole section of wire. This repair is a bite hard to explain in writing.

Let us know how it goes!

DD
Old 02-09-02, 02:40 PM
D.K.
Rookie

Default Re: I know! I know!

Originally posted by DevildogIS300
I've seen this before. But not too often anymore. You have a broken wire or wires at the left rear trunk hinge. Another clue to this is the lights in the trunk lid are all inop. Peel the plastic cover from the hing to expose the wire loom. Pull out the section of loom that runs along the hing. The section that has a tight turn to it has a broken wire or wires. Unwrap the black tape to expose the wires. Don't soder the wires where they are broken. They will break again from the opening and closing of the trunk. Soder in a whole section of wire. This repair is a bite hard to explain in writing.

Let us know how it goes!

DD

DevilDog.......You were "DEAD ON" 100% correct in your analysis and recomended fix. I opened the wiring loom and sure enough (2) wires had been severed. No doubt caused by the "scissors effect" of the trunck support arms as they were continually opened and closed.

Another problem that was related to this was an occasional malfunction of the transmission not wanting to move while in reverse. As one of the lights that was left "on" was the R indicating being in reverse. My mechanic said that the computer was rerouting information as a result of one of the severed wires.

Thanks again...............I hope I can pass along this fix in the future to needy Lexus owners.

Good Job and WELL DONE DevilDog !!!

Last edited by D.K.; 02-09-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 03:24 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

That's GROOOVY Baby!!!!

Glad I could help. I was going to mention the trans problem also, but you never mentioned it.

I love it when I hit the bullseye!

DD
Old 05-21-02, 06:37 PM
wow
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the good tips. My 91 ls400 had the same problems: the rear light icon on and off some times, but there was no burn out bulk, and the R(reverse) light ON whenever I applied the break, while driving and even when the engin off, with key out. I worried that the trans switch to reverse mode whenever I apply the break, this could be very damaging to the trans. After read your posts, I found one broken wire, white color. Sodered this broken wire, the problems went away...
Thank you! I save $ and worry (my trans is OK)
Old 05-21-02, 07:26 PM
D.K.
Rookie

That's great, this forum has already helped so many and saved us $$$.
Old 05-22-02, 09:40 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Mine has been intermittened. I 'll check the same area.