Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

how can i keep my baby..... 270,000+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 09:19 PM
Devon'sLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i keep my baby..... 270,000+ miles

im new top CL and im trying to get some helpfil tips and pointers on DIY and other ways that i can keep my 92' es300 runnin in the best condition it can,

i have some leaks (at least i think they are) as follows:
powerstearing
antifreeze/coolant
oil (i think)

also, after i park from driving her she has smoke coming out from the engine area, and i havent pinpointed the exact location yet but i kow its coming from the back on the engine near the fire wall area

i need to address some other problems as well but i figure lets start with the most important things first (ENGINE)

i would greatly appreciate the help thanks alot CL members
Old 04-12-08, 11:08 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are unsure of where a motor or power steering oil leak may be coming from have the engine steam cleaned. Then have some UV dye added to the oil. A few days later a UV light can be used to locate the exact location of the leak.

For coolant a pressure tester can be used to locate the exact location of a leak.

Most decent shops will be able to do this for you. The smoke coming from the engine is most likely a fluid leaking onto the exhaust and burning up. You probably only see it when you stop because it not getting blown away quickly like it does while you drive.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-08, 12:09 PM
Devon'sLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thanks for the info i figured that much, as far as the liquid falling on a hot pipe, BUT when i opened my hood up and look twards the back like i said earlier, it seemed as if the smoke was shooting out from somewhere in the back part of the engine...... (think of it as someone pokes a small hole in the side of a hose that steam is going through, and you see a small constant burst of stream coming out of that small hole).....thats what it looks like when i say "shooting out from somewhere in the back"

(sorry i tried my best to discribe and give the best example that i thought would help you guys and gals imagine what it looks like)

more insight would be appreciated, and i will go and check on those leaks
Old 04-13-08, 01:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon'sLex
alright thanks for the info i figured that much, as far as the liquid falling on a hot pipe, BUT when i opened my hood up and look twards the back like i said earlier, it seemed as if the smoke was shooting out from somewhere in the back part of the engine...... (think of it as someone pokes a small hole in the side of a hose that steam is going through, and you see a small constant burst of stream coming out of that small hole).....thats what it looks like when i say "shooting out from somewhere in the back"

(sorry i tried my best to discribe and give the best example that i thought would help you guys and gals imagine what it looks like)

more insight would be appreciated, and i will go and check on those leaks
you could have a pcv valve / vent hose that is cracked.... find the hose and see where it leads... more than likely it leads to the valve cover and intake manifold.... more than likely you'll be able to replace the pcv valve and the hose and take care of the problem... there are other potential causes but that seems most likely...