Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where did my oil go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 12:45 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where did my oil go?

Last night I did an oil change on my DD, a 98 3.2 TL with 166K. I have always used the Honda oil filters but this time I figured I would try something else. I used the Purolator premium plus as no listing for the pure one, Mobil 1 or K&N filters. I used a funnel to pour in just under 5 quarts of oil. Waited 10 minutes. Then checked the dipstick and it was dry. No leaks under the engine. Oil filter and drain plug dry. I started up the car and let it warm up waiting for a knocking noise or oil light but neither happened. I let it sit over night, let the oil cap off for a while, checked this morning and still dry. I then took it out for a drive of 15 miles and it drove normally but still no reading on the dipstick? I'm going back under the car to take off the drain plug now but has anyone had this happen to them? What could it be? The car does have a CEL for the EGR valve insufficient flow but has had this for over a month now. I put in a new EGR valve but did not clean out the ports in the intake as I am waiting for warmer weather to take it apart.
Old 03-30-08, 01:30 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I assume from your post, you've changed the oil on that car before, so you have good expectation on the volume of oil it takes, but maybe your car takes more oil? Or the Purolator filter holds more oil then the filter you used before? If it is a typical screw on filter, did you half fill the filter and let it soak up oil before installing? That would've helped you factor out the filter difference and remove from the equation how much it holds.

Try adding another quart and see if that shows up. Also what is the difference between the low and high on the dipstick as stated in the instruction manual? Typically it should be at least a quart, so if it's below low mark, you can add another quart without fear.
Otherwise, maybe your dipstick or something related to measuring the oil has gone wonky?
Old 03-30-08, 01:50 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

All other times I changed the oil I put in the same amount as the manual calls for, 5 qts with a filter change. I figure there is still some oil in the block which is why I put in like 4.8 qts. It is 1 qt between the high and low marks. I did fill the filter as always and shook it around to let it absorb and then put a little more in. The filter is about a 1/4 inch longer then the stock OEM. Same diameter. Do you think that plus a different medium inside the filter accounts for over a qt of oil?
Old 03-30-08, 03:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

just depends on how much drained out... sometimes more drains out than others... I've put 6.5 quarts in a truck that called for 5.8 qts... it was just at the full level... if you read the oil capacties, they usually say something like: "4.8 qts, or as needed until full on dipstick"
Old 03-30-08, 04:26 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had many Honda's and have always changed my oil myself. I usually did use OEM oil filters and always used just shy of 5 quarts. I had on occasion used a non-oem filter and saw no difference in the amout of oil used to fill the engine. I would check your anti-freeze to see if it is clean. If you see that it is muddy looking than you may have a gasket problem. If the anti-freeze is clean than you might want to add an extra quart of oil and see if it registers on the stick than. I would not do too much driving until you get it figured out as you may be adding to your mis-fortune by doing so. Good Luck and I hope it is just a Oh-sh-t dumb a-- thing.
Old 03-31-08, 06:07 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Checked the antifreeze today and thats fine. I drained just under 5 qts and put in just under 6.5 qts to get the level half way between the upper and lower marks where it started before I drained.
If the new filter was not working could that cause a back-up some how? Would I have found out during my 15 mile drive? Thanks for the responses
Old 03-31-08, 07:04 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That must be a much bigger filter to store one and a half quarts of oil. I think that I would go and get the correct filter and drain the oil out, replace the filter and then put the same oil back in, minus the extra quart and a half. Some of these Honda/Toyota oil filters have some sort of pressure valve inside of them that must be important. Don't know what their purpose is but I had been told by the dealers to always use OEM filters or your Warrenty may be compromised.
Old 03-31-08, 10:02 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by farkas
That must be a much bigger filter to store one and a half quarts of oil. I think that I would go and get the correct filter and drain the oil out, replace the filter and then put the same oil back in, minus the extra quart and a half. Some of these Honda/Toyota oil filters have some sort of pressure valve inside of them that must be important. Don't know what their purpose is but I had been told by the dealers to always use OEM filters or your Warrenty may be compromised.
I think everything is fine. Don't waste all the resources that went to create the oil and a filter. If you're concerned, just go back to the other filter at your next change.
Old 03-31-08, 11:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're that concern, just pull out the current purolator filter and then put in a new honda filter