Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

lots of slack on power steering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 04:59 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lots of slack on power steering...

ok so when i'm driving my car, there is alot of slack from my power steering. like if i turn right i have to turn it like 60-70 degrees before it'll make a noticable move to the right. to the left about 20-30 degrees. and then when i'm driving straight it depends on which way i last turned it. if i turned it right, then straight will be the steering wheel tilted to the right, left would be the same thing. and if i keep driving it might straighten out, but i'll have to turn it just that much more to turn either way...

my mechanic said there is a leak from a gasket coming from around the rack and pinon. i was searching the threads and it didn't say anything about there being a gasket over there...and i double checked with him if it was the AVC but he said it wasn't. he said i would have to get a whole new rack and pinon set up and i don't have that kinda money...

help guys...

peace out
Old 03-23-08, 05:46 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to ask your mechanic to check the power steering bushing to body frame. This bushing is part of the steering rack and can not be replace.
Old 03-23-08, 05:48 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

if it does turn out to be that...when i just have to live wit it...

Peace out
Old 03-23-08, 06:44 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

a power steering fluid leak won't cause the problems you are having... you need to check the complete front end - upper/lower ball joints, upper/lower control arm bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, and for play in the steering rack moving back and forth...

the easiest way to check this is the dry park test - simply put, put the car in park, foot on the brake and turn the wheel one way, then the other - do this somewhere where you can see underneath the front end, and look for things moving that shouldn't be... the steering rack should stay in one place with very little movement, the upper and lower control arms should not move at all, and the ball joints should rotate smoothly...
Old 03-23-08, 07:13 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

dang, alright alright, when i get my window regulator put in i'll try ask him to check it.

Peace out
Old 03-23-08, 10:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If your bushings are bad, you cannot replace it with an OEM unit. However, you do have the option of getting a polyurethane kit for $40.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=86761

I have this kit on my car and the steering is a lot tighter than the floppy old rubber bushings. it's pretty easy to install too. The daizen kit is on national backorder
Old 03-24-08, 12:15 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

thanks for da link man. but dam on national back order?!?! shiet.

Peace out
Old 03-25-08, 02:37 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok like u guys said, bushing. i'm pretty sure it's that now. because...

tonight while i was parking, when i had my car in one spot and turn the steering wheel within that slack, it makes a whining noise. do you think it's that steering rack bushing one?

peace out
Old 03-25-08, 03:31 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by breakb
ok like u guys said, bushing. i'm pretty sure it's that now. because...

tonight while i was parking, when i had my car in one spot and turn the steering wheel within that slack, it makes a whining noise. do you think it's that steering rack bushing one?

peace out
that whining noise is most likely the pump itself being low on fluid... it will typically whine like that when it is pumping air and fluid combined...
Old 03-25-08, 11:54 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

but i thought it makes noise all the time if it's low? because it only makes noise when it's in park or sitting in one place and i turn the steering wheel. either way i'll go and check the fluid today.

Peace out
Old 03-26-08, 02:41 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't always make noise constantly . I just replaced my PS pump - and it whined at park, but never at speed. The pump is working much harder at a stand still than at any speed.

Check the fluid of course.. if its of appropriate level, your pump might be going bad, or their might be air still in the system. You can try the bleed -- jack the front end up, and turn wheel from lock to lock 50+ times, basically until it stops whining, or if it doesn't whine when off the ground turn it 50+ then go down and check again.

You might ask how you could have air in the system .. well if you have a leak anywhere in the PS system air can also come in from that area. This very thing happened to me. However mine in total was :

A bad rack and pinion (replaced with a reman. unit -- Works great)
A bad power steering pump (replaced with reman. unit -- Works fine)
A dirty Solenoid screen (cleaned)
Dirty, old fluid (Flushed with 4 quarts of new.. then refilled with ATF Dextron III/IV)
Leaking ACV -- Removed and plugged it (plugged vacuum lines appropriately).
Replaced HP hose as a precaution.

Everything had gone bad, or was going bad. Everything is replaced but the Solenoid on the rack.

Of course you don't have to go my method and build a new PS system, but whine is common, and getting rid of it sometimes can be a pain. If it is air, it is often a pain , esp. if you have a small leak. If it is low fluid, that is usually easily correctable.
Old 03-26-08, 08:35 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

yeah guys i just added some fluid and it's just fine again. =) now just have to get the bushing thing checked. like it sounds like it's making a popping noise when i'm parked or stopped if i turn it. so guessing it's that. so i just don't turn it when stopped now, lol. but will get that checked when i get my window regulator put in.

peace out
Old 04-07-08, 10:50 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok i'm looking into getting those steering rack bushings. because since you guys say it's that, i believe u, lol. anyways, when i put add to cart, it put down that i want 2? don't i only need one?

Peace out
Old 04-07-08, 01:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

keep in mind, I don't think anyone here guaranteed that was the issue... but its definitely something to look into... don't just throw parts at a problem, find the real problem and then solve it...
Old 04-07-08, 04:52 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

my mechanic said it was the bushing. the control arm would be an entirely different part right? and he said he couldn't find it as a stock part, and seeing that they said it's only a aftermarket thing, should be it right?

Peace out

Quick Reply: lots of slack on power steering...