Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

"Oil changes every 3,000 miles: not for everyone"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 12:19 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL View Post
If you can't afford to do a simple oil change, you shouldn't even own a Lexus.
Originally Posted by link13
So, if someone owns a Lexus, they should throw their money away doing oil changes at 3K miles to prove they can afford the car, right?

Interesting.
HAAH HA [LMAO]

This should be a new thread but still somewhat on the topic: are there actually people who buy Lexus just to prove that they can afford a Lexus????!!!

Wasting $$$$ (e.g., on excessive, unnecessary oil changes) is very poor proof of what one can afford. Besides, the cost on the environment may never be fully tallied.

I would b more annoyed at being duped by so-called experts and rigged studies (paid for by big business marketing $$$$).
Old 03-06-08, 04:10 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For f#$#$%'s sake....the maintenance schedule states 5k miles or 6 months which ever comes first. What so f$@#$%@#$ hard to understand that?

link13, I am not telling you to change oil every 3k miles. I am telling you to follow the maintenance schedule.

wolverine, you can go spend money to bling up your car to impress the ladies, but it is a big price to pay for potentially damaging your engine. And what is the $30 (that you saved from oil change) going to get you? Some nice stickers and neon lights?
Old 03-06-08, 04:32 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Or better, don't do an oil change until you loose the oil pressure or blue smoke coming out from the exhaust. But by then, you should have a highly modified Lexus.....that doesn't run.

Price of oil change over 3 years......$30 x 6 = $180

Price of rebuilding an engine...........$2k-4k
But with the modified look and winning the girls' hearts...priceless.
Old 03-06-08, 08:17 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

look at this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+change
and this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=change

hmmmmmm

hmm and brookstone said he can go safely to 11000 miles for his next oil change.
Old 03-06-08, 08:24 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BDSL
wolverine, you can go spend money to bling up your car to impress the ladies, but it is a big price to pay for potentially damaging your engine. And what is the $30 (that you saved from oil change) going to get you? Some nice stickers and neon lights?
Impress the ladies? LOL what makes you think it will damage my engine? Im in California, so the weather doesnt get too bad here so I doubt my oil works hard or anytihng. and no neon lights are not my thing. besides the is350 doesnt have sludging problems like the older 3.0 camrys

Last edited by wolverine; 03-06-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-06-08, 08:31 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

But here are things to consider when looking at test results:

- every engine is different
- every driver and his driving habits are different
- ambient condition is different
- every oil filter is different
- driving condition is different
- oil properties are different

Unless you have a large sample size, one lab result can't tell you everything. I wouldn't risk my engine over a $30 oil change based on one single lab result of unknown test conditions.
Old 03-06-08, 08:34 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

I see that you have a MR2. I have one as well.

I usually look for specials. I can usually get regular oil and regular filter for $15. For synthetic, I can usually them for $35. This is just parts alone.
Old 03-06-08, 08:35 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

yea well I probably dont drive hard at all (low and slow) and Im in CA so weather isnt that harsh. so Ill stick to MY schedule. screw what the book says.
Old 03-06-08, 08:36 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

I see that you have a MR2. I have one as well.

I usually look for specials. I can usually get regular oil and regular filter for $15. For synthetic, I can usually them for $35. This is just parts alone.
well the MR2 I make sure to do the oil change since the turbo is dependent on it. and its old.
Old 03-06-08, 09:25 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't afford to do a simple oil change, you shouldn't even own a Lexus.
Originally Posted by wolverine
LOL wow, cant afford is different than dont want to bub
I do agree with the concept. There are people that take the article (linked in the first post of this thread) seriously and really want to help the environment. No matter how much money they may have, the moral is there.

But a guy from the Toyota dealer told me it depends on how you drive too. If you do a lot of city driving, he said to do it at 3,000 miles. Freeway driving, 5,000 miles. But then I'm like, "Doesn't freeway driving also take a toll on the motor because of the high velocity?" He didn't know....
Old 03-06-08, 10:10 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

always thought stop and go was worse, that why most cars get better gas mileage on the freeway.
Old 03-06-08, 10:11 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I change my oil between 3000-3600 miles. Yes it might be excessive to some of you. But it makes me HAPPY. Thats the most important thing. I love my car and I go beyond the norm to take care of it. . I don't care what any UOA sample says because I simply don't believe that oil can last 20k miles. It might be okay for a leased car but when some people want to keep their cars until the 200k+ miles mark then changing the oil more frequently is a insurance for the long run.
Old 03-06-08, 11:20 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

you cant go wrong with changing your oil every 3000. Take care of your car.. keep fresh lubricating oil in the engine to reduce wear and tear. Do oil changes yourself, save money. Its not that hard people.
Old 03-06-08, 11:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If your oil is good for 5000 miles, then there is no reason to change it earlier, unless you want to waste money. If anything, just change the filter ever 3000 miles and top off the oil. Engines exhibit more wear when fresh oil is used. Yes, it's possible that too much oil change does more harm than good.

Of course driving condition is a huge factor. I change my oil more frequently because of the very very heavy traffic that I do.
Old 03-07-08, 10:29 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a debate with this yesterday at work in regards to oil changes. This one guy said that just turning the engine puts a lot of grind into the whole situation because of that intial friction when the oil has settled down over night.

I don't think there's anything wrong with changing oil that frequently. If anything, it does it good. He used the comparison of the human blood. It's the life force of the car and the cleaner the oil is, the better. If he ever get a chance, he rather do it every month, lol. But it is costly in the long run.

Then he mentioned that the best thing for a car is to have it run at a constant speed with few stop and go. The faster you go, the better. I forgot why, but he got too technical for me. So it's better to drive 80mph at a constant rate then someone in bumper to bumper traffic or city driving. It prolongs the oil too and you don't have to change it that often, hence the 5,000 mile service. So with that, I'm just going to get mine changed every 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: "Oil changes every 3,000 miles: not for everyone"