Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

? about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 04:48 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about oil change

Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep the oil from getting onto everything when u take out the oil filter when u do an oil change?
Because every time i do an oil change, the oil from the oil filter gets onto everything under it because of where its located. I tried to wipe everything clean but oil gets into tiny spaces and drips later on.
Old 03-02-08, 06:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dysLEXic
Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep the oil from getting onto everything when u take out the oil filter when u do an oil change?
Because every time i do an oil change, the oil from the oil filter gets onto everything under it because of where its located. I tried to wipe everything clean but oil gets into tiny spaces and drips later on.
nope... it happens...

some cars are way worse than the lexus'... one, I remember, is directly above an exhaust pipe on one car... tell me how good that is...
Old 03-02-08, 08:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I just dont see why car companies can't design some sort of drain to route the oil that comes out of the filter.
Old 03-02-08, 09:03 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I just dont see why car companies can't design some sort of drain to route the oil that comes out of the filter.
my latest innovation is a plastic bag under the oil filter while im taking it out. vow--la. no oil dripping on the ground. ha-ha!
Old 03-02-08, 11:07 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dysLEXic
my latest innovation is a plastic bag under the oil filter while im taking it out. vow--la. no oil dripping on the ground. ha-ha!
Thats how a lot of us do it!
Old 03-03-08, 11:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I use the oil container that i drain my oil into (from the pan).
Old 03-03-08, 01:10 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

^ Same. I just partially unscrew the housing and let it drain into the oil pan. Once it is just trickling, I take it the rest of the way off, pull out and swap the filter element.
Old 03-03-08, 03:46 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Originally Posted by step02
The newer Audi's with the 2.0T engine have the canister style oil filter where you keep the outer housing (metallic) and change the filter element only. There is a special tool that allows you to drain the oil that is inside the housing before removing the filter element, greatly reducing/eliminating spilled oil.

I haven't seen what it's like to do the Lexus, but if it is like a screw on type filter, you might want to try cutting a milk container in half and putting it under the filter as you unscrew it. Use an oil filter wrench to get it started, then place the contained underneath the filter and finish removing it by hand.

You can also try putting some shop rags underneath the filter to catch the runoff and prevent it from going all over the car components.

OT: Is that your real pic OP? Man, if I could only get my fiance to care about car maintenance as much as you! She likes to eat snacks in the car....
lol yeah its me. i am so A**L about my car. i think its cause all the guys i dated in the past were so into thier cars and took care of it, i became like that. haha. its a good habit, i tell ya. i cant eat in my car =( im too clumsy im gona spill everything. leather doesnt soak as well as fabric, u know. haha!
i tried puttin the pan there too, but i've gone thru 3 oil changes since i've had my car, and it drips everywhere still. last oil change was a month ago, and used the bag. thats the ghetto-est thing that has worked so far. hehe
Old 03-03-08, 04:05 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^

+1 on the ghetto plastic bag method . I also get a paper towel and place it inside the bag just incase the bag rips or has a hole in it, atleast all the oil won't spill everywhere.

Last edited by mex lex; 03-03-08 at 04:09 PM.