Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GX470 30K service $940.00!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 06:35 PM
mxracer546
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 30K service $940.00!

I have a 2007 GX470 that is ready for the 30K service. However, for $940.00 I am having a little trouble spending taht kind of money. I could do the service if I had to. Just not sure what would be required to do this service.

Thanks
Old 02-14-08, 07:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer546
I have a 2007 GX470 that is ready for the 30K service. However, for $940.00 I am having a little trouble spending taht kind of money. I could do the service if I had to. Just not sure what would be required to do this service.

Thanks
why don't you find an independent shop that you can trust...

for instance, this is what it would cost at my shop to do what I found (online, don't have access to mitchell right now)

lube oil & filter $26.99
chk all fluids - free
repl air filter - $24.99 (probably less even)
inspect drive belt - free
replace engine coolant - $89.99 (but the GX should have long life coolant, which is good for 100k+)
inspect exhaust system - free
inspect trans.& differential fluid - free
flush & replace brake fluid - $89.99
inspect brakes - free
rotate tires - free w/ oil change
body inspection (not sure what this entails)
road test - free
inspect air con filter - free
replace wiper insert (new blades are $20)

so, $162 at an independent shop...
Old 02-14-08, 08:22 PM
mxracer546
Driver School Candidate

What type of oil and filter would you recommend? I am sure I could find a local shop to do the work.
Old 02-14-08, 08:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

personally, I'd go to Wal Mart and pick up a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 for $26 and I've found they now have Mobil1 filters as well... this jacks up the price a little, but it should still be less than $50 for the oil change after you figure in labor...
Old 02-15-08, 07:20 AM
schan1w
Driver

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;3279688]
[QUOTE]

I've always wondered how shops "inspect" the trans and diff fluid. Do you actually undo the fill bolt and look at the fluid? Or is it just look in the general area and see if there is any sign of fluid leakage.
Old 02-15-08, 07:49 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Trans fluid is simple - pull the dipstick, look at colr and smell it... Diff fluid - pull the fill plug, stick a hooked piece of paper in there and do the same... We actually have test strips for both, but really, they are a waste - you can tell by look/smell

[QUOTE=schan1w;3280562][QUOTE=mitsuguy;3279688]

I've always wondered how shops "inspect" the trans and diff fluid. Do you actually undo the fill bolt and look at the fluid? Or is it just look in the general area and see if there is any sign of fluid leakage.
Old 02-15-08, 07:53 AM
mxracer546
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - I'll change the oil and filter
Old 02-15-08, 08:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Trans fluid is simple - pull the dipstick, look at colr and smell it... Diff fluid - pull the fill plug, stick a hooked piece of paper in there and do the same... We actually have test strips for both, but really, they are a waste - you can tell by look/smell

[QUOTE=schan1w;3280562][QUOTE=mitsuguy;3279688]

Old 02-15-08, 09:25 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Go to a toyota dealership and see how much they charge.
Old 02-15-08, 11:44 AM
schan1w
Driver

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;3280658]Trans fluid is simple - pull the dipstick, look at colr and smell it... Diff fluid - pull the fill plug, stick a hooked piece of paper in there and do the same... We actually have test strips for both, but really, they are a waste - you can tell by look/smell

[QUOTE=schan1w;3280562]
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
07 GX doesn't have a dip stick for the tranny.
Old 02-15-08, 12:45 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i'mma just go to my frens dad who's a mechanic and lives down the street. he always trys to hook us up when he can. probably gonna be much cheaper then going to the dealer. and i can use the oil i want too.

also reminds me i still need to get a oil filter, only have the oil, doh! >_<

Peace out
Old 02-15-08, 06:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=mitsuguy;3280615]Trans fluid is simple - pull the dipstick, look at colr and smell it... Diff fluid - pull the fill plug, stick a hooked piece of paper in there and do the same... We actually have test strips for both, but really, they are a waste - you can tell by look/smell

[QUOTE=schan1w;3280562]
He got a 2007 GX470 and the transmission is a closed/sealed type transmission(WS fluid),so there's no dip stick to check. You will need a repair manual and follow the instruction on the RM to change the fluid and refill. The temperature of the trans fluid is critical and the whole procedure will take about 1 hour to do it right. The wrong type of fluid, wrong temperature and wrong procedure will not look good at all.
Old 02-15-08, 06:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

ah, didn't get that far as to look at what trans was in the vehicle...

either way, if you are going that far as to check the trans fluid, might as well change it...

or, even without looking I am sure there is a fill port, you can still test the fluid at that point - usually only takes 30 seconds to pull the fill plug... (of course, you want the vehicle to be running to make sure you don't dump lots of fluid doing so)
Old 02-15-08, 07:16 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ah, didn't get that far as to look at what trans was in the vehicle...

either way, if you are going that far as to check the trans fluid, might as well change it...

or, even without looking I am sure there is a fill port, you can still test the fluid at that point - usually only takes 30 seconds to pull the fill plug... (of course, you want the vehicle to be running to make sure you don't dump lots of fluid doing so)
You have to drain the trans and fill up the trans at the filler. The trans fluid have to be cold, look in the repair manual for the temperature range, hook up the scan tool and go to Automatic transmission oil temperature screen and watch the temp. until its reach spec ( engine idle), then you loose the overfilled plug ( one plug for drain and one plug for overfill). You have to wait until the A/T temp reach specific temperature before you can loose the overfilled plug. After that you will have let the overfill plug start to dipping out the fluid and the tighten the overfill plug.

You will need a close eye on the scan tool ,so the temperature not raise up too high. If the temp. get too high you are under fill.

Tell me about the 30 seconds job and let me know when you have an 2004 and up Lexus and your guy can't find the transmission dip stick any where in the engine bay. Or you have to replace the battery and some thing need to be initialize, such window, sunroof, power back door, tire pressure monitor and so on...

I've been with Lexus for over 10 years and I'm still learning about the darn car. I'm no expert here,but I'm still learning everyday.

Last edited by VVT-i; 02-15-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 07:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You have to drain the trans and fill up the trans at the filler. The trans fluid have to be cold, look in the repair manual for the temperature range, hook up the scan tool and go to Automatic transmission oil temperature screen and watch the temp. until its reach spec, then you loose the overfilled plug. You have to wait until the A/T temp reach specific temperature before you can loose the overfilled plug. After that you will have let the overfill plug start to dipping out the fluid and the tighten the overfill plug,but you have to an close eye to the scan tool,so the temperature to raise up too high. If the temp. get too high you are under fill.
Tell me about the 30 seconds job and let me know when you have an 2004 and up Lexus and your guy can't find the transmission dip stick any where in the engine bay. Or you have to replace the battery and some thing need to be initialize, such window, sunroof, power back door, tire pressure monitor and so on...
I've been with Lexus for over 10 years and I'm still learning about the darn car. I'm no expert here,but I'm still learning everyday.
so, you are saying its just like new cobalts, saturns, honda passports, ford explorers, etc... nothing new... kinda a pain in the ***, but easily doable...

as far as initializing those things, well, the scan tool we have is Lexus OE capable and has all that info, I can even program new air sensors into the system...

I just don't know the numbers / process off top of my head - thats what books are for

lets see, a little info for everyone - between 115 degrees and 130 degrees...
you can do this without a scantool, for those diy'ers out there...

here's how:
connect terminals CG & TC (pins 4 and 13) in the data link connector under the dash
move shift lever back and forth from Neutral to Drive every 1.5 seconds for 6 seconds straight
The D shift indicator will come on for 2 seconds, showing that temp check mode has been initiated...
once the trans temp reaches 115 degrees, the light will come back on... if it exceeds 130 degrees, it will begin to blink...

there ya are for the diy'ers out there...

Quick Reply: GX470 30K service $940.00!