Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

My car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 10:00 AM
Jon92sc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car will not start

Hi, yea its a simple question and answer but every website i go to try to get a solution it says multple clicks. Now when i try to start my car the light on the dash dim and the open door warning slows. It most likely has something to do with the starter but if I was for sure then i wouldn't be askin right? Well I bought a new battery just in case and hooked it up but it is still doin the one solid click when i turn it. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 02-14-08, 06:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon92sc400
Hi, yea its a simple question and answer but every website i go to try to get a solution it says multple clicks. Now when i try to start my car the light on the dash dim and the open door warning slows. It most likely has something to do with the starter but if I was for sure then i wouldn't be askin right? Well I bought a new battery just in case and hooked it up but it is still doin the one solid click when i turn it. Thanks in advance for the help
assuming the battery is new, fully charged, and wired correctly with no corrosion on the cables, and they are making good contact, then, I would have to say there is a 98% chance its the starter...

good luck - those things are a pain in the *** to change on our cars... (the starter is in the V of the engine, under the intake manifold, by the firewall)

aside from the trans/motor being locked up, its the only thing I can think of that would cause that exact symptom
Old 02-14-08, 08:12 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Definately sounds like a starter with the single click when you turn the key.
Old 02-14-08, 08:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

btw, multiple clicks is almost always dead battery...
Old 02-15-08, 05:29 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say starter as well. have fun!
Old 02-15-08, 10:30 PM
Jon92sc400
Driver School Candidate

already, thank you fellas now i just need to check it out.
Old 02-16-08, 10:31 PM
Jon92sc400
Driver School Candidate

In every person viewing this threads opinion does the braand of a starter really count for something i mean i know the better the brand the more reliable the item but i guess what im trying to ask is which are the best rated starter brands
Old 02-16-08, 11:23 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would stick with an OEM starter.
Old 02-17-08, 02:06 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon92sc400
In every person viewing this threads opinion does the braand of a starter really count for something i mean i know the better the brand the more reliable the item but i guess what im trying to ask is which are the best rated starter brands

That is a good question.

I've found an 'autozone' starter worked just fine for two other cars I've replaced them in. Though, given the difficulty it is in replacing this one, I would go with one that will last another 10-15yrs. You don't have to buy an OEM part from Lexus,.. but you should be able to get a fairly good deal 100-200$ on a toyota or aftermarket equivalent from an online broker/dealer.

There are many who sponsor and visit this forum.

Are you going to do this yourself?
Old 02-17-08, 05:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

for something as pain in the *** as a starter to replace in these cars, I have to agree... go OEM...

typically though, I've had good luck with aftermarket starters in the past, I have seen them fail both when brand new, and within 6 months of installation... now, keep in mind, OEM is not a 100% sure deal either, but the odds are better... call some of the online vendors here and just get the best deal you can...

now, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, then just get the cheapest one with the best warranty (places like autozone and such give lifetime warranties on things like that) but remember, labor is not included in those warranties...
Old 02-19-08, 11:47 AM
Jon92sc400
Driver School Candidate

hey thanks guys i went to buy a new starter from autozone im waiting for a friend of mine to help me install it since he knows how to do it but i dont want to count on him. do any of you guys have a manual for a 1992 lexus sc400 on how to change the starter? ha damn sorry for askin so much but i want to learn ya know thank you guys i appreciate the help
Old 02-19-08, 05:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

heh.... basically remove EVERYTHING on top of the motor...
Old 02-19-08, 06:28 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read it isn't 'hard' it is just alot of removing pieces (dissassembly) to get to the starter bolts themselves. I've changed starts on several cars. They are all basically the same. Once you can get to the bolts and have room to remove and install the new one. You will basically unbolt it, (first unhooking the power from the battery and any other electrical connectors).. Then finagle the new one in the slot. It will have a gear on the end, but it should fit in there without problem. (Its hard to mess up a starter install).

So just be prepared for alot of time taking parts off, and just keep note of what you've taken off and how, so when it comes time to put it back together it isn't tough. A good idea is to video the dissassembly , and refer to it when putting things back together if your memory doesn't serve you well -- but with two people doing it, you should be just fine. First starter I ever replaced I had no clue what I was doing. I just found it and started removing parts until I could get it out. The electrical (and power from battery) are self explanatory connectors.

I searched a few times and didn't find a 'how to, step by step' on replacing the starter. So maybe you'd want to take a few pics while you do it and make a 'how to' for others in the future when *they* search.

That is what I am trying to do .. things big and small, I am taking pictures and doing write ups for future enthusiasts to have easy guides. *really wish I had a video camera*.

You'll be fine..
Old 02-20-08, 10:14 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
btw, multiple clicks is almost always dead battery...
this is true, have you tried jumping the car to see if it starts normally? usually if the starter goes bad its only 1 click. if its fast pace multiple clicks it would be the battery (or bad contact at batt)
Old 02-23-08, 06:50 PM
Jon92sc400
Driver School Candidate

wow taking out the starter was a real pain in the *** and took a couple hours putting it back together wasnt as annoying although now i cant accelerate as fast as i could have before my starter messed up. and when i push on the gas pedal it feels harder to push down like it is stuck or something. we probably messed something up putting it back but thanks guys for the help

Quick Reply: My car will not start