Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

30K service

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 11:08 AM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Did you know that some aftermarket parts are the exact same as your OE parts, just in a different box/bag??? and at half or less the price??? Sure, there are some cheap knockoffs out there, but I'd say 65% of the aftermarket parts I order are identical to the OE parts, just without the OE sticker, even going as far as same manufacturer...
So which aftermarket parts are the same as OEM at half the price?

I usually buy my OEM parts from online Toyota dealers, and the prices are usually about half of list Lexus price. I don't even bother trying to find out if this or that aftermarket part is the same Toyota. Why bother when you know that OEM is good enough.
Old 02-11-08, 11:22 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schan1w
So which aftermarket parts are the same as OEM at half the price?

I usually buy my OEM parts from online Toyota dealers, and the prices are usually about half of list Lexus price. I don't even bother trying to find out if this or that aftermarket part is the same Toyota. Why bother when you know that OEM is good enough.
every manufacturer is different, but, lots of times things like belt tensioners, tie rod ends, pulleys, and other miscellaneous stuff that I buy through an independent parts supplier come with OE toyota tags on them...

other times, and not in toyota specifically, but many other manacturers, the aftermarket suppliers have found ways to better the original design... a common one is replacing tie rod ends on certain vehicles, and the aftermarket design has a grease fitting whereas OE does not...
Old 02-11-08, 07:43 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
every manufacturer is different, but, lots of times things like belt tensioners, tie rod ends, pulleys, and other miscellaneous stuff that I buy through an independent parts supplier come with OE toyota tags on them...

other times, and not in toyota specifically, but many other manacturers, the aftermarket suppliers have found ways to better the original design... a common one is replacing tie rod ends on certain vehicles, and the aftermarket design has a grease fitting whereas OE does not...
The original poster asked where to buy parts ... most of us must choose between Autozone/Pepboys/Napa and Toyota/Lexus dealers. I think the advice to buy OEM is still a good one. Not all of us have so much knowledge and access to independent suppliers and to know which parts are of equal or better quality to OEM.
Old 02-11-08, 08:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by schan1w
The original poster asked where to buy parts ... most of us must choose between Autozone/Pepboys/Napa and Toyota/Lexus dealers. I think the advice to buy OEM is still a good one. Not all of us have so much knowledge and access to independent suppliers and to know which parts are of equal or better quality to OEM.
somewhat true... but at the same time, there is definitely a place to draw the line... things like brake fluid and oil... there are some things that you just shouldn't buy at the dealer... some are fanatics though, claiming the dealer even has better bulbs... heh... you get the point...
Old 02-11-08, 08:24 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys..yeah i will just buy the oil filter from the dealership since thats what every1 recommends me to..and i will change the oil and filter in pepboys or walmart...(buy the oil there) btw...how many quarts do the 2IS need?? And for the brake fluid...does any shop really matters?? (since it is dealing with one of the most important part of the car, brakes. I dont want my car to drive off the hill or something...lol)
Old 02-11-08, 09:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by radicalrev
thanks guys..yeah i will just buy the oil filter from the dealership since thats what every1 recommends me to..and i will change the oil and filter in pepboys or walmart...(buy the oil there) btw...how many quarts do the 2IS need?? And for the brake fluid...does any shop really matters?? (since it is dealing with one of the most important part of the car, brakes. I dont want my car to drive off the hill or something...lol)
although many will have you believe the factory oil filter is the best, it has been proven more than once that the mobil1 and K&N filters actually filter out smaller particles...

in one of the threads on here, I believe someone referenced 5% filtration of 20 micron particles with the OE filter, and 85% filtration with the mobil1 filter...
Old 07-30-08, 09:11 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Looking at your profile, it says you have an 06 IS350. The coolant in that car is extended life and doesnt need to be changed at 30k, same for the transmission fluid. The rear differential, however, if it has never been changed, i would change that. The first time you change it, the fluid always looks bad, and you can clean off the magnet on the drain plug. Other than that, i would inspect everything (brakes, tires, etc), and do as you suggested, an oil filter change, cabin air filter, but also an engine air filter. Hope this helps..
Is the rear differentail fluid recommended to be swapped at 30k?

FYI, a local dealer says this: Interesting about the life expectancy of some of the fluids:
the 30k service on the IS 350 is $425.00—You will replace

Engine oil and filter

Engine air filter

Inspect and/or replace the A/C filter

Replace brake fluid

Rotate and balance tires

Complete diagnostic check and undercarriage inspections with road test

*your car has the new W/T transmission fluid which want get replaced till 100k

*your car has the new Life Long Coolant which we do not replace till 100k

*your car has the new synthetic rear end gear oil which we do not replace till 90k

Thank you