Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How to care for car in snowing places

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 09:50 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to care for car in snowing places

Hey guys,

I have never had a car in the snow, so for all those that do, please tell me how to care for the paint and underside of the car, and what stuff to check. Does the antifreeze that comes with the car okay, or is there specific stuff that the snowing area dealers put in. Thanks.
Old 01-28-02, 09:40 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey gsnav. I can offer my experience.

Although I currently don't live where Ineed to worry about it, I did undergrad in teh mountains fo NC, and yes, we did get plenty of snow and sub 0 temps.

I became keenly aware of what it took to keep my black Accord clean and well maintained.

This is what I did:

Rinse out your undercarriage frequently when driving on roads treated with slag (salt and sand mixure). A rock that kicks up underneath the car that may dent or nick a peice of metal will quicky start to rust if not maintained. Happened to my exhaust.

Maybe re-undercoat, but I don't know any info on procedure or costs.

Polish and wax more frequently. Whenever I was home for breaks, usually during teh Fall, I would do a thorough cleaning, and apply a new coat of polish, then wax. It will be you first line of defense against the road junk.

The fluids: I might change to a thinner weight oil if you anticipate being up there for more than a month or so. Mobil 1, 5w-30, would be great. I use it anyway all the time.

Your antifreeze: what came OEM should be fine, but it couldn't hurt to get your system flushed and refilled with some new coolant/antifreeze and/or heavier duty. Not sure on cost - I've never done it. Maybe a call to a deaer could answer this better, or DevilDog on the IS forum - he's a Lead Tech I think.

Again, just my experiences, nothing impirical.

HTH

BTW - I still love your car - If you'd like to drop it off here in NC for a while, feel free - Its 70* today

Last edited by ///MDex; 01-28-02 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-28-02, 10:54 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey GSNav, you got anymore links to Pictures of ur car? Can you go to the dealer to install them? if so Do you also have to paint the body kits or do they come in the color you want?

ShOwGS
Old 01-28-02, 11:38 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

My pics are here:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ahua/Gs%20Pics/

Feel free to check it out and ask me any quesitons PM or through postings.
Old 01-30-02, 05:22 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to care for car in snowing places

Where are you going? plan to stay long? If that place has a lot of snow (Ohio, IL, MI..) your tires is no good in the snow. (you have big rims, low profile tires) Put your original back for the winter
As for other thing, no matter where you live. Change antifreez every two years. I don't really know how long Toyota red stuff last, 70K mi.? Always mix 50/50 with distilled water.
Wash the underside after the snow on the street is clear. Wash really good every spring

Originally posted by gsnav
Hey guys,

I have never had a car in the snow, so for all those that do, please tell me how to care for the paint and underside of the car, and what stuff to check. Does the antifreeze that comes with the car okay, or is there specific stuff that the snowing area dealers put in. Thanks.
Old 01-30-02, 11:12 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I am sending the car to Ann Arbor, If i do keep my 19s on, which is a bad idea, and if it isn't snowing... like there is snow piled up for weeks on the side of the road, and the road is completely dry and maybe a lil wet, it's ok right? I know i know, people are gonna lecture me about this...

But, if i do change my tires and stuff to snow tires, wouldn't i need to realign my car?

Albert
Old 01-30-02, 11:40 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

You haven't tell me how long you're going to stay in MI.
If you're staying long, put your original back on. 19" is not for snow. You still can drive with 19" in the snow, just harder that's all. Are you saying that when it snowing you don't drive until the road is clear? Hard to do in Detroit, MI. Its snow there all the times

I wouldn't put snow tires on 19", or the original just yet. Try out with the S+M tires on the original. No alignment needed. Unless you lower your car already then you're stuck with the 19".

I am sending the car to Ann Arbor, If i do keep my 19s on, which is a bad idea, and if it isn't snowing... like there is snow piled up for weeks on the side of the road, and the road is completely dry and maybe a lil wet, it's ok right? I know i know, people are gonna lecture me about this...

But, if i do change my tires and stuff to snow tires, wouldn't i need to realign my car?

Albert

Last edited by VQT; 01-30-02 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-30-02, 02:57 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I'm actually staying here for another 3 months, but i hope it's not gonna snow all this time.

Albert
Old 01-31-02, 05:16 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Just be careful when driving in the snow. Do you have traction control on your car? If you can, wait until the road is clear enough to drive. Side roads never get clear but you'll do fine.
I used to live in Toledo, OH. Use to go to Ann Arbor all the time, drive on I-75 with pot holes all over. How is the highway there now?

Leave your car alone, no need for new tires. Since you're there already you can put your original rims&tires back to drive those three months.

I'm actually staying here for another 3 months, but i hope it's not gonna snow all this time.

Albert
Old 01-31-02, 04:19 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey GSNav, IM from Michigan man and even if there isn't any snow over here you shouldn't keep ur original rims on, with all the snow and Salt they laid down and what not there is gonna be alot of Pot holes, so it would be better to put some tires and rims that u really wouldn't care as much about rather then bang up the good rims.... Plus I 75 does have alot of pot holes....

ShOwGS