Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Coolant/Anti-Freeze type

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 08:59 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant/Anti-Freeze type

Hello:
I usually post over in the IS forum, but they have went more 'what kinda air freshners to use' or to de-badge or not. Not really cutting edge stuff. So I'll pose this question over here and hope we can get some ideas/information.

Ok, I searched for type of Coolant used in the IS350's. I know its pink in color and it maybe the SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) or something like that. I read in the manual that the coolant in our 06 models is H.O.A.T compatible, which is good. That leads me to believe its not 'Dexcool' type coolant, which is O.A.T.
You see HOAT & OAT don't mix good together.

Soooo, I think we can use Zerex GO-5 HOAT coolant. which should be compatible? check out their site.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

Only reason I ask is cause usually try to carry some in the trunk in case something happens to the cooling system. Nowadays it seems that every manufacturer has their specific type coolant. There was a time when 'green' could be put in everything. You have to be careful, cause if you mix the wrong coolant, you can end up with a 'cheese' like substance in your radiator.(non-edible)

The Zerex GO-5 is good for 150k miles so the life is compatible as well. Its clear in the bottle, and changes color to match what you already have in the system. I use it in my 05 Dodge CTD.

Let me know what you guys use or recommend. I don't want to purchase the wrong thing.
Old 12-04-07, 09:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

For Toyota vehicles, I would only use Toyota Anti-freeze. I know I sound like one of those "OEM is best" kinda of guy (which I'm not btw), but in this case, stick to OEM. Any reason why you wouldn't want to keep the OEM coolant in the trunk instead of the aftermarket stuff?

Others may have different feelings about running aftermarket coolant in their cars, but here is mine:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=7

Unfortunately, the valvoline stuff has silica/silicate (abiet low according to the link), which I do not prefer to use in our cars. Honda/Toyota/GM have all done their own research to come up with the best coolant for their cars, and they have facts to prove it.

Last edited by GSteg; 12-04-07 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 04:08 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default coolant

Hi GSteg:
You're right, I might as well keep the Toyota coolant on hand. I wanted to see if I could save a few bucks. The Zerex is carried at more places in the U.S., Autozone, and even some 'China-Marts' carry it. I will have to call and price the OEM coolant. It is usually $10 to $12 dollars on the gallon more than what is at your local auto parts store. But I see what you say about the silicate. Definitely don't need that in there. I'll keep looking around. we may find something that is as good.
Its something though when you read the coolant containers at the store. Like Prestone says it compatable with all coolants for all makes. Thats kinda scarey.
I question these claims. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 12-05-07, 04:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I question those claims too because one coolant definitely does not work for all cars. Saving a buck is definitely not worth the hassle if you get weird problems later on.

For my Acura legend, I took off the radiator hose only to find some nasty brown sludge and corrosion inside. The previous owner used the green prestone stuff so now I have to try to flush it out. But judging by what's inside the hose, the whole cooling system is probably contaminated The nasty stuff inside the system is now a limiter on the coolant's performance. I might have to replace the headgaskets
Old 12-05-07, 10:17 PM
LexFather

We talked about it here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319231
Old 12-06-07, 12:57 PM
Edzlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GSteg,
Brand new to the club. Got a classic 91LS and and 99GS.
Got my GS from a private party purchase. I noticed that I have that nasty, brown sludge (which also stinks) in the radiator. Whats my best bet of cleaning that out?

-Ed
Old 12-06-07, 03:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Possibly corrosion. I would have the cooling system flush if your car has no signs of cooling problems. The cooling system is often neglected as most people oil do oil changes. They forget about the coolant, brake fluid, differential fluid, etc.

Over time, the coolant's performance diminishes. Nothing lasts forever
Old 12-09-07, 06:22 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Toyota long life fluid

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I guess that's it. Toyota Long life coolant. I'll call tomorrow and see how much it is.
Thanks !