Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Drivers side door won't open - fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 12:48 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Drivers side door won't open - fixable?

My drivers side door of my 1995 Lexus ES 300 will not open from the outside and I've taken it partially apart and it appears that a rod has come loose. It sounds like it also when you close the door as something is rattling around in there.

Is this repairable and if so, could I just take it to a shop and have them fix it or it something I could fix myself? I was hoping someone had experience with this before.
Old 02-13-11, 02:12 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youre going to look up the diagram on sewell parts.com, but Im sure you are missing the little clip that holds the rod in a hole on the lock mechanism.

Just order the clip take off the door panel and reinstall it.
Old 02-13-11, 03:13 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

I can't get the door apart enough to see the clip, do you think if I took it to Sewell, they'd be able to fix it? I know.. I'll call them tomorrow

Thanks for the link to the site, I never knew that existed!
Old 02-13-11, 08:02 PM
svlexus
Driver

If you reigster to sewell with your club lexus name you get extra deep discounts.
If you get repair work done there be sure to mention club lexus as well, I forget the guys name who you need to talk to but Im sure they wouldnt rip you off.
Old 02-13-11, 09:49 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

svlexus, thanks again and good to know they are reputable and perhaps fair. I've never dealt with them personally but I do have a few minor things I wanted to see about them repairing that I just don't have the ability to handle (like this door situation). I didn't think your average repair joint would be much help so I will head up to Sewell this coming week. Might get some new floormats, I noticed they have those at a lower price than what I've seen also.

Thank you again for the time and input.
Old 02-14-11, 08:08 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

OK called Sewell up and of course they could fix it, but they mentioned I should probably just take it to a close Toyota dealer (in Denton, TX for anyone familiar) which is closer to my residence. Called up that Toyota dealer and they were nice as can be and said to bring it on in. Can't wait, that broken door handle is a pita. I've basically been reaching around from the drivers side back door to open the door from the inside. I'd be so excited to get that fixed.
Old 02-16-11, 05:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there... reach your hand up inside there and find where it goes... usually you can get by with not replacing the clip and just using a zip tie to hold the rod in place once it is in the hole it is supposed to be in...
Old 02-16-11, 07:10 AM
AndyG
Pole Position

I actually found a local guy that knows exactly how to fix this (he claims) and told me about the clip before I could tell him. I found him while looking for someone to reupholster my seats (he runs an upholstery joint). He balked at the dealership estimate ($150-200) and said he could replace that clip in an hour for $60. DEAL!

So I'm taking her in this morning to fix that clip and to also get an aftermarket stereo put in (JVC XR810 double din unit). Next week getting windshield replaced and seats reupholstered (with vinyl, not leather for cost concerns).
Old 02-24-11, 09:32 AM
tarheelsc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyG
I actually found a local guy that knows exactly how to fix this (he claims) and told me about the clip before I could tell him. I found him while looking for someone to reupholster my seats (he runs an upholstery joint). He balked at the dealership estimate ($150-200) and said he could replace that clip in an hour for $60. DEAL!

So I'm taking her in this morning to fix that clip and to also get an aftermarket stereo put in (JVC XR810 double din unit). Next week getting windshield replaced and seats reupholstered (with vinyl, not leather for cost concerns).
How did you make out? My sc400 passenger door handle no longer opens the door from the outside, there is no tension when i pull it so maybe i have the same problem as yours? It is frustrating for my passengers, ''wait there i'll open the door for you'' haha. I'd be screwed if the same thing were to happen to my driver side door now too haha.