Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Is Rotor Turning/Resurfacing a Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 11:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
All rotors/drums are required to have the min. stamped on them.
yup, but ya gotta be careful with that... if you are not 100% sure of the vehicles service history specifically...

On one specific occasion, I had a vehicle towed in for brake issues, and upon inspection, the obvious problem was that the pistons in the front two calipers had cracked because they were overextended... I've seen similar issues with people who drive on metal to metal brakes for extended periods of time, but upon closer inspection, there was still a small amount of brake pad left (not much, maybe 15%), then I checked the rotors against minimum specs stamped on them - they were above spec... weird I thought... that shouldn't happen if the rotors are above their minimum and there is still some pad left... After a couple closer looks, everything appeared to be in place and in working order (minus the cracked pistons)... Searching for an answer, I grabbed our brake spec book, and low and behold, the minimum spec in the brake book was over a half inch thicker than what was on the front of this vehicle... turns out someone had previously done brakes, and purchased the wrong rotors for the car... (maybe the rears?) and obviously when this happened it caused catastrophic failure of the calipers...

not that this is common, but it's definitely something to be aware of...
Old 08-28-07, 12:05 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would be curious to know what car has interchangeable front and rear rotors.
Old 08-28-07, 12:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I would be curious to know what car has interchangeable front and rear rotors.
although I've never tried, I don't think there is anything stopping us from putting our rear rotors on the front... sure, it won't work right, but when it;s all new, it would probably work...
Old 08-28-07, 12:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps with a sledgehammer and a mill as the rear hub is considerably larger to accommodate the parking brakes and would not come close to going on the front just the same as every car I have messed with , thus why I am curious what car has interchangeable front rear rotors even if just close.
Old 08-28-07, 12:55 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Perhaps with a sledgehammer and a mill as the rear hub is considerably larger to accommodate the parking brakes and would not come close to going on the front just the same as every car I have messed with , thus why I am curious what car has interchangeable front rear rotors even if just close.
many cars don't have the parking brake thing as a drum inside of the rear rotor... that's kinda specific to imports - most domestic cars and lower end imports use either a ratcheting caliper or a mechanical actuator on the caliper itself...
Old 08-28-07, 01:02 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I am fully aware of that, but again, even those rotors have a different offset making mounting on another axle difficult at best due to caliper clearance. Not saying it can't be done, just curious what kind of car it was so that when I drop by one of my stores I can check that out is all. have not heard of that before and curious minds want to know.
Old 08-28-07, 05:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I am fully aware of that, but again, even those rotors have a different offset making mounting on another axle difficult at best due to caliper clearance. Not saying it can't be done, just curious what kind of car it was so that when I drop by one of my stores I can check that out is all. have not heard of that before and curious minds want to know.
it's been about 6-8 months since this happened, but it seems to me like it was a cheapie american car - cavalier or something of the sort... I'll ask the guys today and see if anyone remembers...
Old 08-28-07, 12:00 PM
95M3CSL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you

Yes, thanks. Sorry for not specifying as based on reading the great posts here you probably would be able to quote me the specs on the M3.. ;-))

Yes, thanks for the specs on the RX300 rotors. I need to measure and see if the pad job I'm about to do also needs rotors to be replaced as well. I've done the 95 BMW E36 M3 rotors and pads many times and so this should be relatively easy I think.

Thank you,
Marc
06M3 (mine)
01RX300 (hers)

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I will assume yes...

Front
new thickness - 28 mm / 1.102 in
minimum thickness - 26 mm / 1.024 in

Rear
new thickness - 10 mm / .394 in
minimum thickness - 8.5 mm / .334 in
Old 08-29-07, 09:34 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's been about 6-8 months since this happened, but it seems to me like it was a cheapie american car - cavalier or something of the sort... I'll ask the guys today and see if anyone remembers...
Is this a true story? You would have to cut calipers change the bolts for these rotors to fit. I can tell you for sure. There is no way it will happen on a lexus and whoever did it. They would need to get out of this biz and do something else!!! I don't think it's possible on any vehicle. Nope
JPI
Old 08-29-07, 09:37 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, but ya gotta be careful with that... if you are not 100% sure of the vehicles service history specifically...

On one specific occasion, I had a vehicle towed in for brake issues, and upon inspection, the obvious problem was that the pistons in the front two calipers had cracked because they were overextended... I've seen similar issues with people who drive on metal to metal brakes for extended periods of time, but upon closer inspection, there was still a small amount of brake pad left (not much, maybe 15%), then I checked the rotors against minimum specs stamped on them - they were above spec... weird I thought... that shouldn't happen if the rotors are above their minimum and there is still some pad left... After a couple closer looks, everything appeared to be in place and in working order (minus the cracked pistons)... Searching for an answer, I grabbed our brake spec book, and low and behold, the minimum spec in the brake book was over a half inch thicker than what was on the front of this vehicle... turns out someone had previously done brakes, and purchased the wrong rotors for the car... (maybe the rears?) and obviously when this happened it caused catastrophic failure of the calipers...

not that this is common, but it's definitely something to be aware of...
I thought you inspected the vehicle and now you don't remember? Something doesn't add up here.
JPI
Old 08-29-07, 11:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by JPI
I thought you inspected the vehicle and now you don't remember? Something doesn't add up here.
JPI
I promise you, it did happen... problem is, I see about 60 cars a day on average, so its hard to remember everything in specific...

I don't see why it is so hard to imagine... many cars don't have rear integrated parking brakes like our Lexus do... all vehicles, for the most part have the same hub size and bolt pattern front to rear and similar rotor diameters (within an inch to half inch), the main difference being the thickness of the rotors... I see some truly ghetto rigged cars, this really didn't surprise me when I saw it....
Old 08-30-07, 12:55 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could be possible the rotors were still front rotors,but for a different car or model. For example. One a certain Acura, the higher HP model had the same rotor size and hub, but 5mm thicker for one. I realize that 5mm is Not 0.5", but I've seen aftermarket rotor for that specific model be 2-3mm less thick at maximun that spec. For a car like this, if the lower HP cars rotors where used,it would be 5mm thinner at start. Plus, if one of those aftermarket thinner rotors were used, possibly it could be 7-8mm thinner right off the bat. Anyway, not saying this happened, just saying it is possible.
Old 08-30-07, 01:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It could be possible the rotors were still front rotors,but for a different car or model. For example. One a certain Acura, the higher HP model had the same rotor size and hub, but 5mm thicker for one. I realize that 5mm is Not 0.5", but I've seen aftermarket rotor for that specific model be 2-3mm less thick at maximun that spec. For a car like this, if the lower HP cars rotors where used,it would be 5mm thinner at start. Plus, if one of those aftermarket thinner rotors were used, possibly it could be 7-8mm thinner right off the bat. Anyway, not saying this happened, just saying it is possible.
that is possbile as well... As I originally stated, we never really found out what had happened, just that the rotor minimum spec was about a half inch narrower than what the car called for...
Old 05-11-08, 08:00 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To answer the OP's question, as the attached article from Bendix indicates, there are definitely occasions where Turning/Resurfacing is not needed.

"Many technicians still turn rotors that should be left alone. Consider these facts: A typical modern rotor is noticeably lighter than its 1973 counterpart. It’s thinner, so there’s less metal available for removal by machining.

"Many used rotors don’t need to be turned, either. In fact, really good, un-machined used rotors are desirable. This is because during stops some friction material transfers from the pads to the rotor working surfaces. This form of conditioning is a part of the normal break-in process, and it improves a rotor’s friction coefficient. Good, used rotors are already conditioned this way. This can be especially significant with certain vehicles that tend to stop less than spectacularly when new brakes aren’t yet broken in. They’ll actually stop better during the break-in period with matched pairs of good, used rotors installed than with new or resurfaced ones.

"There are three standards a used rotor must meet before it can be put back into service as-is: Call them “SST.” Surface condition, Specifications and Trueness.

"Assaying surface condition starts with an eyeball check: Are they smooth or not? If you see roughness, machining is in order – assuming rotor thickness meets specifications. Some manufacturers even allow scoring up to .060” (1.5mm) wide or deep. (GM suggests a simple test: If the edge of a dime won’t fit into a surface groove it’s not wide enough to be a problem. What if the dime fits in? If you can see all of FDR’s hair, the scratch isn’t deep enough to worry about.)"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BendixRotorArticle.pdf (110.1 KB, 505 views)