Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141

Old 06-29-07, 12:27 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141

I completed this task and added this info into the GS forum and thought it belonged here.

I had a problem looking for someone on this website to show me how to install and located Bank 1 Sensor 2 02 sensor for my 2000 Lexus GS300. After doing research and finding a great 02 sensor part guy on ebay I took on the challenge and found it very easy to do once you get the right part and tool to do the job.

Tools needed or what I used:
* Stanley 3/4 drive expandable ratchet
* 02 Sensor removal socket wrench (to remove the 02 sensor)
* 10mm socket 3/4 drive (to disconnect battery cables)
* Small flat head screwdriver (to detach sensor male and female part)
* Liquid Wrench by GUNK or other lubricating spray to loosen sensor
WD40 would probably work also
* Small flashlight to locate sensor from top of engine
* 02 Sensor Part #14260 from PartREX - ebay name te_x_as
Great communication and excellent support from these guys. The cord length was a little shorter than the original but had enough slack and more to finish the job. I think you can also use the same sensor part for the front one which is bank 1 Sensor 1.

** Photo taken with hood up and looking down into the engine on the passenger side. Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the bottom one circled in yellow. Easy to remove with the Stanley 3/8 drive expandable ratchet.

I listed the tools used and also the correct sensor to change for Bank 1 Sensor 2. The expandable Stanley ratchet was bought from Wal-Mart and came with standard socket set, not metric which I wanted. Paid about $28 for it. The 02 Sensor removal 3/8 drive socket wrench was bought also from ebay for $7 + $5 shipping = $12 from ebay name up4salebytaw. I seen it at Checkers Auto later but don't remember the cost. Liquid Wrench by GUNK was about $2.29 at Wal-Mart also. I know the LEXUS dealer would charge over $250++ to change it, so I tried and found it very easy to do.

1. Park your car in the shade, lift engine hood, wait 1/2 hour until engine is cooler so you can spray the Liquid Wrench around the base of the sensor. FIRST DISCONNECT THE CAR BATTERY (negative side first, positive side second ) once you know the error code (P0141) and before you start spraying or removing anything.
2. After 1/2 hour respray another small dose of Liquid Wrench around sensor and unhook 2 plastic black clips that hold the sensor wires together.
3. Remove the sensor socket area (which is attached to the car) by sliding it in a forward motion. This will make it easier to attach and see how the sensor fitting fits.
4. With a small flat head screwdriver look at the gray female sensor area where you can put a flat head screwdriver to push down a release clip. Keep the clip pressed down and pull apart. The male and female part will easily come apart when pulled.
5. Next attach the 02 Sensor wrench socket to the bottom Bank 1 Sensor 2 Sensor and once fitted on, attach your expandable ratchet and set it for left to loosen.
6. Loosen sensor by pulling up on the ratchet handle loose.
7. Remove 02 sensor wrench and unscrew the rest by hand until 02 sensor is out.
8. Wipe down with paper towel the sensor area where you sprayed the Liquid Wrench.
9. Hand tighten the new 02 Sensor (te_x_as part #14260) and finish tightening with 02 sensor wrench and ratchet until tight as an oil drain plug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN or you may strip the treads.
10. Attach gray plastic male end to female end.
11. Slide back and attach gray plastic male and female part to clip on body.
12. Put back black plastic wire holders.
13. Re-connect the battery terminals with 10mm socket. (positive side first, negative side second)
14. All Done. You will have to reset your radio stations and A/C settings again.
15. Done fast and easy without even jacking up your car!

I hope this helps all who wants to try it themselves. Very easy to do once you find the trouble code using the OBDII scanner (bought from eaby also) and having the right parts in hand. My car CEL (cehck engine light) never came on since and gas mileage improved. Now gettng 22 MPG city /hwy combined. For Hawaii driving that's great! GOOD LUCK!!! DanozLS430
Attached Thumbnails How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141-bank1_sensor2_diagram.jpg  

Last edited by DanozLS430; 06-30-07 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Beatmd (10-07-22)
Old 06-29-07, 12:33 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Default Expandable Stanley 3/8 drive ratchet and 02 sensor socket tool

Here is a pic of the expandable 3/8 drive Stanley ratchet with 02 Sensor romoval socket attached. I bought the ratchet from Wal Mart for under $29 and came with a chrome socket set also. I use it to also reach my oil filter from the top with oil filter socket. I am currently using K&N oil filters which uses a 1 inch socket to remove. I bought the 3/8 drive 1 inch socket for under $3 at my local harware store called City Mill (K&N filter removal socket). No need to go under the car to remove the filter anymore. Only need to reach under to loosen the oil drain nut to drain. This ratchet has become my best friend. HeeHeeHee....

DanozLS430...
Attached Thumbnails How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141-stanley_ratchet1.jpg  

Last edited by DanozLS430; 06-29-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 12:37 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Default GS300 Diagram of catalytic converter with 02 sensor pics

Here is a picture of the scematic diagram for the GS300 which shows location of the 02 senors. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the front left, and Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the rear left when looking down into the engine with the hood up.
Attached Thumbnails How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141-b1s1_schematic.jpg  

Last edited by DanozLS430; 06-29-07 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 02:01 PM
lx4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up
Old 06-29-07, 02:24 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you disconnected the battery ? what for? your obdII scanner should be able to clear the code.

also, you didn't state at what point to disconnect your battery, just to re-connect it lol.
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (06-05-19)
Old 06-30-07, 06:33 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Sorry about that Caoboy! I'll edit the original again.

FOR SAFETY REASONS....When ever I work on the engine or electrical areas, in this case a sensor, I disconnect the battery first before I install the parts( to prevent a short or from getting shock, just in case). I heard of a guy who's wrist watch band sparked and blew off his wrist and left shock burns from somehow getting grounded by the cars battery. The car battery is very powerful. I did not do it to clear the code. (See below)

You can clear the OBDII error code 2 ways either by disconnecting the battery or use the OBDII scanner to do it. The CEL (check engine light) will continue to stay off for about a day or so and can and will come back on if the error code repair job was not completed right or you changed the wrong parts. If you fixed the correct problem the CEL will not come on and you will know you changed the right part to complete the job. My CEL never did come on ever since so I know the Bank 1 Sensor 2 error P0141 code was completed and repaired.

If you have anymore questions on error code P0141 Bank 1 Senosr 2 let me know and can guide you to correct the problem.
DanozLS430...

Last edited by DanozLS430; 07-01-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 05:24 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know it's a late bump, but that's the reason you never wear jewelry while working on cars. if you need a watch, wear a cheap plastic/rubber swimming type one.

the story you heard is because the man touched the ground, or was in between the ground and power posts of the battery, which caused the electricity to arc through his watch. this could happen with your ratchet/wrench that you use to tighten the cable to the battery if you aren't careful!

anyways, yeah it's fine, it's just not really necessary to unhook the battery for the o2 sensor.
Old 07-19-07, 12:08 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a nice write up. Do you think you can do one for the P0161 code? It's the O2 sensor that's on the exhaust. From what I can see just looking at it, the wire goes into the floor of the car and the connector is located inside the car somewhere under the dashboard. How are you supposed to replace that?
Old 07-19-07, 01:49 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Sorry, I did not have to change my P0161 code 02 Sensor yet. Maybe someone here has done so.
Old 02-02-08, 03:23 PM
natedahms
Driver

The part numbers for the oxygen sensors for 99-00 GS300 on oxygensensors.com are incorrect. I ordered oxygen sensors for bank 1 sensors 1 and 2. Each costing 100+ dollars. I installed bank 1 sensor 1 and took my GS to Lexus to have the EUC reset and to make sure that was the only problem making my check engine light come on. I was told that the sensor I installed was not working correctly. I wasnt sure if they were telling me the truth since I didnt buy the sensor from Lexus. You know how that goes. I was also told that I needed to replace bank 1 sensor 2. I ordered that sensor from oxygensensors.com as well. I recived it today and went to install it and noticed that the numbers on the sensor didnt match the one I had just taken off my car. I did a search on google to see if these numbers checked out or cross refernced but instead I found a thread on CL where other people were having the same problem I'm having getting the wrong sensors from oxygensensors.com. I called up oxygensensors.com and was questioned as to weather or not I knew what I was doing. I worked on cars for a living longer than oxygensensos.com has been around. I told him that the numbers on the sensor its self did not match up. He told me that the numbers on the sensor had nothing to do with a part number, that they were just a referance as to where they were made. I know better than that so I looked up the numbers on Denso's website and found the correct part numbers. I hope I get this all straightened out. I already put one of the sensors on the car so so much for getting that money back or exchanging the part. Now I see why there sensors are so cheap. You end up paying 200+ anyway....

the correct Denso part numbers are:

(1,2,3 precat) Bank 1 Sensor 1: 234-4048

(1,2,3 postcat) Bank 1 Sensor 2: 234-4626

(4,5,6 precat) Bank 2 Sensor 1: 234-4630

(4,5,6 postcat) Bank 2 Sensor 2: 234-4603

oxygensensors.com has part numbers

(1,2,3 precat) Bank 1 Sensor 1: 234-4048

(1,2,3 postcat) Bank 1 Sensor 2: 234-4622

(4,5,6 precat) Bank 2 Sensor 1: 234-4626

(4,5,6 postcat) Bank 2 Sensor 2: 234-4603
Old 02-13-08, 10:59 PM
neutrons
Pole Position

good info.
Old 11-02-08, 10:09 AM
dustinnjit
Driver School Candidate

hey DanozLS430, I am planning to follow your instruction to replace the bank 1 sensor 2 for my GS300 2001. Do you think all the instruction that you posted should be the same for 2001 model including the location of the sensor and the part number from ebay? Thanks.
Old 11-02-08, 06:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinnjit
hey DanozLS430, I am planning to follow your instruction to replace the bank 1 sensor 2 for my GS300 2001. Do you think all the instruction that you posted should be the same for 2001 model including the location of the sensor and the part number from ebay? Thanks.
Yes, it's the same location from 98-05 GS300. Thanks for using the " Search"
Old 11-03-08, 07:49 PM
dustinnjit
Driver School Candidate

VVT, I plan to get the part from denso, part number is 234-4626, according to denso website, it says front lower, which is in exact location, do you happen to know if this is the correct part that I need to get? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-09, 09:42 PM
Aziz1786
Driver School Candidate

Default Need urgent help!!

Is this good for an IS300, the diagram, or do you have a diagram for the is300 2001, and does anyone know what sensor i need, i get the code P0141, it says bank 1 sensor 2, and where i can find the cheapest sensor........thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141