Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 04:42 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SICK, about 60K on the SC4, runs like brand new. Very happy to see you approaching 200K with no problems, confirms my confidence in these very over-engineered engines. Erfan, time has NOTHING to do with the breakdown of oil, unless you're talking about millions of years, schedule changes at mileage intervals, not time. SICK, i'm furious, my torque converter was never ordered. My local dealer is a knucklehead, he has lost my business for good, so much for Elite of Lexus. He was raping me on the cost of parts anyway, i'll just order from Steve Gantz from now on and learn to be patient. Anyways, now I have to start the whole process over again, get a place to diagnose the trans, call the warranty co, order the converter, in other words, weeks. I'll start all over on Monday. Plan to do the tune up over the weekend, hoping my plugs get here.
Old 12-28-01, 04:59 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lex,

That is what i thought just wanted to make sure, why are you changing your torque convertor? Are you putting aftermarket performance or oem replacement?
Old 12-29-01, 10:18 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Wont the oil over time get contaminated with fuel and particles? I have seen where they say every 3000k miles or 4 months, which ever comes first,

do you dare dispute thier claims,

What sayeth Ye soothsayer, cometh with thyne answer!!!
Old 12-29-01, 11:28 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen where they say every 3000k miles or 4 months, which ever comes first,

do you dare dispute thier claims,
It's amazing how the oil change industry has managed to brainwash so many consumers into thinking they need to change their oil every 3000k/4months.

Here's what Honda has to say about this:
"Following the "severe conditions" guidelines won't help your Honda unless you really do drive under those conditions. Many vehicle owners waste time, money, and oil on unnecessary oil changes, for example. The quality of engine oil and filters has steadily improved to keep pace with the requirements of new engines."

"severe conditions" for both Honda and Lexus is 5000 miles. Normal is 7500 miles. Look in your owner's manual to determine what severe conditions are.
Old 12-30-01, 04:53 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by black sc
Dealers don't usually put aftermarket parts. They probably did out of warranty and responsiblility issues. It is not a big deal but, I don't understand why or how the Mobil 1 oil filter is any better than other filters. I saw 2 tests of oil filters that said actually Mobil 1 filters were actually just average or even sub-par. Don't flame me but, can you tell me exactly what the M1 filters have that do make it better than the OEM filters?

I guess I am from the old school and want to know exactly. I know that cutting the filters apart and seeing what exactly is inside is empirical proof. However, I do not work in the petroleum industry so, maybe you enlighten me on exactly how and why the M1 filter is so good. Sorry, if I missed this one. I will try to find the links of the oil filter testing results.

Regarding the Water Wetter. I have used it before several times. This is the first time I have heard that it may actually be bad for the car. Can someone tell me how and why? Is it just a precaution due, to mixing unknown chemicals or is there a reason behind it?
Ok, I found the one of the two that I saw. I guess I remembered wrong but, is it worth 2x the price for fiberglass in the filter element?

I still have yet to see anything relating to Water Wetter being bad to the coolant system. Check out the filter survey below if, you want to know about one of many filter tests.

oil filter