Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Do you follow the 3 month/3k mile oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 12:19 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jednav
Sorry, I don't get it. Changing oil for 5 bucks and having it analyzed for 20?
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!!
What other ways can tell you whether the engine has a coolant leak, how much oil life left in the oil?
Old 03-26-07, 06:28 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5k miles. I'd do it at 7.5K but the math is harder (I change my oil when the odometer is divisible by 5). 3K is a waste of time, money and resources.
Old 03-26-07, 08:13 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

It depends on how you drive it, simple as that. If you beat on it around town, start it and go first thing in the morning to go somewhere within walking distance, stick w/ 3K. If you baby it, run synthetic oil at the recommended weight, keep it tuned up (tire pressure & wheel alignment also) ONLY then can you go with 7K at the most but if its leaking oil, keep an eye on the oil level as you run the chance of running the engine with low oil longer, obviously. And dont use fuel additives either they dont do anything besides foul plugs and injectors. Use only Marvel Mystery Oil every other oil change or so, dont go crazy. If the oil is black, change it regardless of mileage, and if its black and youre still in the 3K window, stop beating on your car. I use trip A for LOFs and trip B for fuel mileage, also
Old 03-27-07, 08:54 PM
jednav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
What other ways can tell you whether the engine has a coolant leak, how much oil life left in the oil?
coolant leak, well, is losing coolant. either leaking to the ground or contaminating the oil and/or coolant from a blown head gasket.

ocular inspection is sufficient.
Old 03-27-07, 11:15 PM
semdaddy
Pole Position

i put 8,000 miles in 6 months ..every 3,000 miles i change the oil
keeps the car happy.
Old 03-28-07, 12:00 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

coolant leak, well, is losing coolant. either leaking to the ground or contaminating the oil and/or coolant from a blown head gasket.

ocular inspection is sufficient.
How about the amount of acid fighting additive, viscosity, fuel dilution in the oil. Oh, I forget when the color of the oil is black, it is time to change the oil! It will definitely tell you TBN is low, oil is thinned out and has abnormal amount of fuel.

Hey, why not change this virgin oil since it is already darker than honey dyed oil, it must be toasted already!

FWIW, here is a link to those who wish to learn what is oil analysis
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
Old 03-28-07, 07:01 AM
jednav
Driver

How about the amount of acid fighting additive, viscosity, fuel dilution in the oil. Oh, I forget when the color of the oil is black, it is time to change the oil! It will definitely tell you TBN is low, oil is thinned out and has abnormal amount of fuel.

Hey, why not change this virgin oil since it is already darker than honey dyed oil, it must be toasted already!

FWIW, here is a link to those who wish to learn what is oil analysis
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
Which is why you have to regularly change your oil, to arrest all of that!

Now, where did I place that Yellow Sunshine!
Old 03-28-07, 07:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never and probably will never have a UOA done...

I just don't see the point in it...

I figure what I've been doing in my cars (following manufacturers intervals, or better) has worked for 11 years of driving, a variety of different cars (everything from a 74 MB 450SL to a 500whp 2 liter Talon), and never once have I had an oil related failure... The Talon survived the 500 whp level for 10,000 miles and it was bone stock with 160k on the motor when I purchased it...

My current lexus has close to 190 on the clock, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I beat on it everyday, in dry Vegas heat nonetheless...

Now, could I extend my oil change intervals, maybe, but how many UOA's would I need to do to figure that out? I'd rather just change the oil and be done with it. Could it alert me to a coolant leak, sure, but you can do a block test at a local shop for $10-$20 that will tell you the same thing in about 30 seconds, or just pull your dipstick, or look at your drained oil and will tell you the same thing...
Old 03-28-07, 08:35 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I have never and probably will never have a UOA done...

I just don't see the point in it...

I figure what I've been doing in my cars (following manufacturers intervals, or better) has worked for 11 years of driving, a variety of different cars (everything from a 74 MB 450SL to a 500whp 2 liter Talon), and never once have I had an oil related failure... The Talon survived the 500 whp level for 10,000 miles and it was bone stock with 160k on the motor when I purchased it...

My current lexus has close to 190 on the clock, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I beat on it everyday, in dry Vegas heat nonetheless...

Now, could I extend my oil change intervals, maybe, but how many UOA's would I need to do to figure that out? I'd rather just change the oil and be done with it. Could it alert me to a coolant leak, sure, but you can do a block test at a local shop for $10-$20 that will tell you the same thing in about 30 seconds, or just pull your dipstick, or look at your drained oil and will tell you the same thing...
Oil Analysis is not for everyone, some care less whether 30 weight oil is sheared to a 20 weight as long as the car fire up. Many could care less if bulk recycled oil is in their engine, they are perfectly happy to frequent dealer or give business to Jiffy Lube every 3K. But there are those who care about doing preventive check, see what the engine is wearing. $20 is also a cheap way to take any guess work on how much "blackness" of the oil is. In some instance, give valuable information to allow owner to lengthen oil change interval according to his driving condition and style.

Ever have a annual physical check and the nurse draw blood to send to a lab? A clean bill of health is given after an analysis is done. Is it required to have a good health? No, you can just flat out tell the doc that if you look all right from the outside, that is all he needs. After all, it is your health right?
Old 03-28-07, 08:45 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Which is why you have to regularly change your oil, to arrest all of that!

Now, where did I place that Yellow Sunshine!
Yep, that Castrol Syntec sure is toasted even when it is still in the bottle since that oil is dark already, which means severe oxidation.
My gosh, if you ever use Royal Purple, that oil is even worse looking, it is purple and sure look darker than green. By default, RP oil is worse than Castrol Syntec 0w-30 straight out of the bottle!
Old 03-29-07, 01:45 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

how about fuel dilution or air filtration? How can you eyeball dirt getting into your engine?
People have hobbies, I can get an oil change and a lab analysis for $25. Most people pay more just for an oil change, I on the other hand can enjoy both an oil change and know the health of my car. It helps me sleep better at night jednav.
Old 03-29-07, 01:48 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry, I don't get it. Changing oil for 5 bucks and having it analyzed for 20?
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!!
The above response was to this quote by jednav.
Old 03-29-07, 07:10 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
The above response was to this quote by jednav.
So, why just stop at oil? How about the gas, tranny/brake fluid, etc., I am sure you will sleep more soundly
Old 03-29-07, 07:33 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
how about fuel dilution or air filtration? How can you eyeball dirt getting into your engine?
People have hobbies, I can get an oil change and a lab analysis for $25. Most people pay more just for an oil change, I on the other hand can enjoy both an oil change and know the health of my car. It helps me sleep better at night jednav.
Don't you think you need to have it analyzed by 3 or 4 labs to have an untainted result?

Now, that will add years to your life.
Old 03-29-07, 07:34 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Go with what the owners' manual states. Auto manufactures have spent $$$ and R&D to come up with their recommendation. I would take their recommendation over any dealership or lube shop trying to get you to switch earlier. As someone stated earlier, oil analysis will tell you a lot about the condition of your engine and oil and if you need to change earlier: I use BlackStone:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

Quick Reply: Do you follow the 3 month/3k mile oil change?