Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Portable hydraulic lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 05:16 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Portable hydraulic lifts?

Having a small portable non-scissor type lift in my garage (that doesn't require being drilled into ground) would really make my life easier for servicing my sc300 and make buddies car projects actually fun for a change. Raising vehicles more than knee height is not required, but would be nice if that broadens my options. Does anyone know of any lifts like this?:

Last edited by dejacky; 01-30-07 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-30-07, 09:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

do you actually plan on transporting it or you just want it for your garage?

installing a real, garage style lift is not that much work - nothing you can't do on your own with a tool rental from home depot... I imagine the money you would save buying an anchored lift and renting the tools to install would outweigh the added costs of paying for portability...

You can buy nice 2 post lifts for $2500, maybe less... we just purchased a new above ground 2 post lift for our shop, $4900 installed, 10,000 lb gvwr
Old 01-31-07, 05:23 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
do you actually plan on transporting it or you just want it for your garage?

installing a real, garage style lift is not that much work - nothing you can't do on your own with a tool rental from home depot... I imagine the money you would save buying an anchored lift and renting the tools to install would outweigh the added costs of paying for portability...

You can buy nice 2 post lifts for $2500, maybe less... we just purchased a new above ground 2 post lift for our shop, $4900 installed, 10,000 lb gvwr
I'm looking for more of something that is easy to install in my garage..so it doesn't have to be portable. But, I don't want to have to drill into the ground to set it up and it needs to be able to lift the car from the jack points & not by the wheels. Any brand/model suggestions?
Old 01-31-07, 08:28 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
I'm looking for more of something that is easy to install in my garage..so it doesn't have to be portable. But, I don't want to have to drill into the ground to set it up and it needs to be able to lift the car from the jack points & not by the wheels. Any brand/model suggestions?
unless you really spend the extra money to get a portable lift, pretty much all 2 post lifts will need installed into the concrete... If your garage has a reasonable concrete floor, this is really only a few hours of work...

a quick search revealed this: http://www.pantherlifts.com/9K_two_post_lift.html
for only $1400

for a portable one like you need, I'll look through our catalogs here, I know I've seen em, but can't find em on the web...