Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Change at Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 11:14 PM
zzjkimzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change at Toyota Dealer

Hi All,

I'm currently located a bit far from a Lexus Dealership and was wondering if anyone had their oil changed at a Toyota Dealer? I have an 07 IS250 and I'm assuming the oil filter is a Toyota part, so what the Lexus Dealer uses should be the same as what Toyota Dealers use right? Correct me if I am wrong, thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-07, 09:00 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjkimzz
Hi All,

I'm currently located a bit far from a Lexus Dealership and was wondering if anyone had their oil changed at a Toyota Dealer? I have an 07 IS250 and I'm assuming the oil filter is a Toyota part, so what the Lexus Dealer uses should be the same as what Toyota Dealers use right? Correct me if I am wrong, thanks for the help!
I would say "yes", though I don't know for sure on the IS. My ES350 filters are the same as several Toyota models, and the local Toyota dealerships will perform the oil change on an ES350 (though I do mine myself).

Call and make an appointment with the Toyota dealer for your Lexus. If they won't do it they'll let you know up front.
Old 01-11-07, 09:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I knew a few people with Lexuses down here (no Lexus dealers yet), who would go over to Toyota to get the oil change and luckily every time one of the filters fit (there are only so many standard filter sizes).
Old 01-11-07, 11:22 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I am not sure if your car has the cartridge filter or not but if it does, call and check with the dealer that they carry it, but i would definately get all your preventative maintenance done at toyota, 1/2 the price usually.
Old 01-12-07, 12:23 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i tried to get a toyota dealer to do an oil change for me and they said 'no can do' ... but perhaps if you talk to the correct guy @ the dealership maybe you can get it done ... gl
Old 01-13-07, 07:19 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my oil changed at a Toyota dealer this past December. I requested Mobil 1 synthetic with no problems.
Old 01-13-07, 05:35 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

It would be no problems getting it done at a Toyota dealership. We do it all the time here, sometimes its not convenient, and a Toyota dealer is right around the corner.

However, some Toyota dealers might have agreements with their Lexus counter parts not to cannibalize their (Lexus) business.

I would just explain your situation to the service manager at Toyota, and I'm sure it would be no problems. They could probably order in a "Lexus" filter for you too (Same supply chain)!
Old 01-31-07, 03:26 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

i just doublechecked th part numbers to the oil filters for the new IS and no toyota model shares teh same part number...
Old 02-01-07, 03:16 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to Jiffy Lube. What's the difference? It is only an oil change.
Old 02-01-07, 04:35 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Gunnut
Take it to Jiffy Lube. What's the difference? It is only an oil change.

Stay away from Jiffy Lube. I've seen already two stories on TV about some stores charging for work that was not done. It's enough to keep me away.
Old 02-01-07, 08:28 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Stay away from Jiffy Lube. I've seen already two stories on TV about some stores charging for work that was not done. It's enough to keep me away.
Okay, how about K-Mart? Walmart? THe store doesn't matter.
Those stories aside, why pay premium dollars for the most basic maintenance to be done on a car?
Does anybody really believe even a Lexus dealer has anybody but their most inexperienced tech do these?
I worked at a dealership for 18 months. Only those right out of school or off the street did oil changes.
Drain the oil, replace the filter and plug and re-fill. Even a Democrat can do that.
JimA

Last edited by Gunnut; 02-01-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-01-07, 11:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Walmart and k-mart doesn't serve you with free coffee and sandwiches

But the dealership does tend to have a lot lower failure rate than say jiffy lube. Sure an oil change is simple, but jiffy lube has been known to do half-@ss job, like changing oil without even touching the filter. By bringing the car to the dealer, people feel more satisfactory.
Old 02-02-07, 06:03 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gunnut
Okay, how about K-Mart? Walmart? THe store doesn't matter.
Those stories aside, why pay premium dollars for the most basic maintenance to be done on a car?
Does anybody really believe even a Lexus dealer has anybody but their most inexperienced tech do these?
I worked at a dealership for 18 months. Only those right out of school or off the street did oil changes.
Drain the oil, replace the filter and plug and re-fill. Even a Democrat can do that.
JimA
OK, now your throwing politics in there? I'm a proud Democrat

This thread reminded me that I have to go for an oil change today and again for a 3rd time it'll be at a Toyota dealership since they welcome Lexus vehicles. Hey it's ok to save money here and there but I won't do it by going to JL. It took a while but I was able to get my wife to stop going there and she's driving an Infiniti. But she thinks all places are the same.
Old 02-02-07, 07:06 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
OK, now your throwing politics in there? I'm a proud Democrat

This thread reminded me that I have to go for an oil change today and again for a 3rd time it'll be at a Toyota dealership since they welcome Lexus vehicles. Hey it's ok to save money here and there but I won't do it by going to JL. It took a while but I was able to get my wife to stop going there and she's driving an Infiniti. But she thinks all places are the same.

LOL. Then you can do your own oil changes.
I don't mind paying for good service either. I prefer to do my own oil changes as it only takes 20 minutes or so and I know in the end it is done right. Plus I prefer to run Mobil1 oil and KN oil filters. Most O/C places and dealers really rape you on prices for these upgrades.
One thing I don't like about J/L and other like places is they will ALWAYS short fill your oil. They save 1/2 quart per O/C which adds up to quite a bit of oil in a week. Plus they are always trying to sell you add-ons like air filters, wiper blades, even $8 for a $.50 light bulb.
I do all of my own maintenance. Its a hobby for me.

TO each his own.