Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need Labor Times? or help from Mitchell Repair???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 09:55 AM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have used Ted Weins for tires and oil changes over the years and been happy with them. Thanks again for the info, I'll be using this forum again in the future, I'm sure! Have a good one
Old 05-29-12, 11:13 PM
guitarman9
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1995 sc300 needing a water pump (timing belt already replaced) and a power steering pump. Please tell me approx price for parts and labor, if done in a shop. Thanks : )
Old 05-30-12, 01:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

For the waterpump, Anywhere between $900 and $1400 is reasonable...depending on the shop rate. I wouldnt pay any more than $1400 though. Sometimes you can find places that will do it for less than $900. Power steering pump, I am not sure, I would say between $400 and $500.
Old 05-30-12, 06:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have done the timing belt, well then you can add about 150-200 on top of that for the water pump.... the belt has to come back off to replace the pump and replacing the belt again might be recommended, unless it was literally just replaced.... this, fyi, is why we recommend to do the water pump at the same time as the belt... power steering pump labor is most likely an hour or a little more - its pretty easy, though the drive belt does have to come off,, just as it does to get to the timing belt.... I will get exact labor times for you shortly....
Old 05-30-12, 09:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Labor time for timing belt, including water pump is 3.6 hours, plus a few additional tenths for idler pulleys and cam seals...
Old 05-30-12, 10:54 PM
guitarman9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. I knew it would be expensive. What is your opinion on Blue Book (and other) values? What I am getting on my searches is that the car is valued between around 3800 to 5000, depending on condition. These values seem low to me, especially since these cars are hard to find. The car needs those 2 parts and a paint job because there is wear from tree sap on the roof and hood.
Old 05-30-12, 11:12 PM
guitarman9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Definitely not cheap to fix. I have been looking at blue book and other values. They seem low to me. The range is from around 3800 to 5000, depending on condition. The car needs these 2 parts and new paint because of tree sap on the roof and hood. Since the car is not easy to find- seems like values are too low.
Old 05-31-12, 08:07 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by guitarman9
Thanks! Definitely not cheap to fix. I have been looking at blue book and other values. They seem low to me. The range is from around 3800 to 5000, depending on condition. The car needs these 2 parts and new paint because of tree sap on the roof and hood. Since the car is not easy to find- seems like values are too low.
Mid '90's SC... yah, their resale value is pretty much in the crapper, unfortunately... I had a 93 SC400 and got almost nothing out of it... biggest problem is things like paint... a good paint job is 3-5k alone... I would think one in excellent condition with excellent paint would command much higher prices, again, problem being the average condition of a car that is 17 years old, regardless what you put in for condition on KBB... not to mention the water pump replacement... you are talking another $350+ in parts alone, not to mention a ton of labor that not a lot of DIY'ers are capable of...

If the rest of the car (interior) is in 100% working order and in excellent shape, I could see spending $3000 on the car, cause I can find ones that need work for $1500-$2000 all day long...
Old 05-31-12, 10:25 PM
guitarman9
Driver School Candidate

Don't know if my reply got sent before- computer issue. The car does need interior work: not too bad but parts of the leather are cracked and torn, 1 door handle missing, air bag light on. Sounds like not worth fixing up to sell- only worth it to keep as another project. Wonder what I can get out of it as is- sounds like the 1500- 2000, sad to say.
Old 06-01-12, 06:15 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

do you know the part # for the 7 screws that hold the plastic splash guard directly under the oil filter on 07 gs350?
Old 06-09-12, 06:43 PM
Piratse
Rookie

Wow this thread is awesome and you've had it going for years. Thank you!

I'm not sure what you can look up but how much would a full interior install cost? New seats, headliner, carpet, dash, center console etc. I'm not sure if that would even be there. Thanks!
Old 06-09-12, 08:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Piratse
Wow this thread is awesome and you've had it going for years. Thank you!

I'm not sure what you can look up but how much would a full interior install cost? New seats, headliner, carpet, dash, center console etc. I'm not sure if that would even be there. Thanks!
No way all of that is in there... Even if it was, you would never use that labor time as a lot of things would overlap... dash is going to be the big one, seats anyone can do in half hour or less...carpet isn't bad once the seats are out...
Old 06-09-12, 09:16 PM
Piratse
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I planned on doing most of it myself but figured I could get some prices!

Again, I appreciate the thread.
Old 06-09-12, 09:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Piratse
Thanks for the info. I planned on doing most of it myself but figured I could get some prices!

Again, I appreciate the thread.
Here is some more help then... Saw in the other thread you have a SC... I did a step by step dash removal on my older SC... lemme see if I can find the thread...

here ya are:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...y+dash+removal
Old 06-09-12, 09:50 PM
Piratse
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
No way all of that is in there... Even if it was, you would never use that labor time as a lot of things would overlap... dash is going to be the big one, seats anyone can do in half hour or less...carpet isn't bad once the seats are out...
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Here is some more help then... Saw in the other thread you have a SC... I did a step by step dash removal on my older SC... lemme see if I can find the thread...

here ya are:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...y+dash+removal
Thanks again, I bookmarked your other thread!

Quick Reply: Need Labor Times? or help from Mitchell Repair???