Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 03:33 AM
RichardY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil leak

I have a Toyota Avalon. I realize that this is a Lexus forum, but I really need advice and people here seem so knowledgeable that I thought it would be a good idea to ask. Anyway, I have a 1995 Toyota that will be mine when my mother buys a new car next year (another Toyota Avalon unless I figure out a way to make a new Lexus ES 350 cost the same as a new Toyota Avalon Limited Edition); I have been using it to drive to and from college and I have pretty much been in charge of its maintenance for the last 15,000 miles.

For my Avalon's entire lifetime until last summer, it ran on Castro GTX, but like an idiot, I decided to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil at 72,000 miles because I read that it was better (and some people at a Toyota forum told me that I could switch without problems). I ended up with an oil leak and my uncle who was an automobile enthusiast when he was younger and still keeps up to date with cars through his job told me that I should have never switched to the synthetic as it is a lighter oil which will clean out the engine leading to oil leaks like the ones that I was experiencing so I promptly switched back to regular oil, a few hundred miles after switching to Mobil 1. 15,000 miles later and after a few gasket changes by the dealership, the engine still has a minor oil leak. I have been reading online forums to learn more about cars. I eventually found a thread on here about a new oil being approved by lexus. In it, I read something about an engine cleaner called Auto RX that claims to be able to renew seals, so I registered to ask about it.

I really want to undo the damage that I did with the Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so if anyone has any advice on what I could do or could tell me whether or not the Auto RX will improve the situation, it would be really appreciated.

Last edited by RichardY; 12-29-06 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 01:54 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardY
I have a Toyota Avalon. I realize that this is a Lexus forum, but I really need advice and people here seem so knowledgeable that I thought it would be a good idea to ask. Anyway, I have a 1995 Toyota that will be mine when my mother buys a new car next year (another Toyota Avalon unless I figure out a way to make a new Lexus ES 350 cost the same as a new Toyota Avalon Limited Edition); I have been using it to drive to and from college and I have pretty much been in charge of its maintenance for the last 15,000 miles.

For my Avalon's entire lifetime until last summer, it ran on Castro GTX, but like an idiot, I decided to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil at 72,000 miles because I read that it was better (and some people at a Toyota forum told me that I could switch without problems). I ended up with an oil leak and my uncle who was an automobile enthusiast when he was younger and still keeps up to date with cars through his job told me that I should have never switched to the synthetic as it is a lighter oil which will clean out the engine leading to oil leaks like the ones that I was experiencing so I promptly switched back to regular oil, a few hundred miles after switching to Mobil 1. 15,000 miles later and after a few gasket changes by the dealership, the engine still has a minor oil leak. I have been reading online forums to learn more about cars. I eventually found a thread on here about a new oil being approved by lexus. In it, I read something about an engine cleaner called Auto RX that claims to be able to renew seals, so I registered to ask about it.

I really want to undo the damage that I did with the Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so if anyone has any advice on what I could do or could tell me whether or not the Auto RX will improve the situation, it would be really appreciated.

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com they can give you the best advise on this issue
Old 01-01-07, 02:18 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Max:

Your uncle is right about the cleaning capabilities of Mobil1/synthetics and yes it can dislodge dirt, especially with a high mileage car that has a steady diet of dino.

However, now that the dealer has changed the gaskets, the engine really shouldn't leak anymore, regardless of what type of oil is in your crankcase. What does the mechanic say why it is leaking after they fixed the seal(s)?

Many folks have had sucess with AutoRX, but Mobil1 cleaned your engine so well that it revealed a leak. I really wouldn't put another cleaner, which AutoRx is, in there.
Old 01-02-07, 04:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

where, specifically are the leaks coming from... are you sure it's the engine oil??? other possibilities include power steering and trans...

if they can't tell you, take it somewhere that can... you can get some dye and a black light to check for yourself if you want...

your main places to find this kind of leaks are your crank seals... front and rear main seals... other possibilities include cam seals, and if it has one (not going to look right now), possibly the distributor o-ring...

I had a rear main seal start leaking on me seemingly out of the blue (the car has had Mobil1 as long as I've owned it), and it just started leaking... So, replaced the rear main seal, and all has been good... here's the part that matters to you... When it started leaking, I was on a trip, 1400 miles worth of trip... I added heavier oil, I added the "mystery oil additives" that claimed to rejuvenate seals, all to no avail... As soon as done with the trip, I dumped the oil out, changed the main seal, ran 5 quarts of cheap oil through it to flush out the CRAP I put in there that didn't fix a thing, and refilled back with Mobil 1... no leaks still...

fix it right, the other crap might or might not help...

let us know where it's leaking from though, might have some additional advice if we know more...
Old 01-03-07, 02:34 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mitsuguy -- you were using Mobil1 and you had a rear main seal leak, you changed the seal and put back in Mobil1. Don't you think the Mobil1 could have caused the leak?
Old 01-03-07, 02:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
mitsuguy -- you were using Mobil1 and you had a rear main seal leak, you changed the seal and put back in Mobil1. Don't you think the Mobil1 could have caused the leak?
no, main seals wear out... it's a fact of life you have to live with when you are close to 200k miles...

I don't ever use anything except for Mobil1...

never have, never will... Mobil1 didn't cause it to wear out, but it probably didn't help it either...
Old 01-03-07, 04:59 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a recent thread on this topic on the RX300 forum that may be of interest.