Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Any help appreciated greatly!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 04:28 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help appreciated greatly!

I live in Boston and the winters are brutal.I have no garage and plan on driving my gs year round.I was planning on getting a carcover and taking it on andoff as it snows and rains until I was told that carcovers are more used for lengthy period of times and that taking them on and off daily especiallly when there wet can do more harm than good because they can stick to the paint.If this is true is there any specialcarcover that I can use daily Thanks
Old 10-24-01, 06:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

BadBtsz4u - Car covers work very well and I have used them quite a bit. The only provisos are the same as for nose bras. We just had a discussion about them either here or in Lexus Lobby. You really should only use the cover when both the car and the cover are clean. Once either gets dirty, leave the cover off until you can clean things. I have seen the ads for covers that claim to breath and not have to be taken off when it rains but I am pretty skeptical. The water trapped underneath turns to steam when the sun eventually heats things up which is not good and you are heading for a close encounter with a polisher. I don't think you are going to find a cover that will replace a garage but used under the right conditions they can provide a good level of protection. At least use the cover when you are not going to have really nasty weather and it should help. Hopefully you will get enough breaks in the weather to make it usable during the winter.
Old 10-25-01, 08:05 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I agree. The car cover is only good when it's clean and the car is clean. Using it in the winter your bound to get the car dirty with that nasty snow. Put on the cover then, and you'll get the underside of the cover dirty with road grime and dust which will scratch that gorgeous finish. See if you can rent a garage near you.

I am lucky enuff to live in a high rise with underground parking and I really don't have to worry about it. But I'd hate to see anyone make a mistake and damage their finish. :eek: