Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1999 Es 300 Glowing Hot Exhaust Resonator!!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 12:29 PM
ccteague
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1999 Es 300 Glowing Hot Exhaust Resonator!!! Help!!

I HAVE A 1999 ES300 THAT RECENTLY HAD A CK ENGINE LIGHT AND A TRAC OFF LIGHT COME ON AND STARTED MISSING BADLY. WHEN I POPED THE HOOD TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG, MY ENTIRE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WAS GLOWING BRIGHT RED. . . . . I MEAN BRIGHT RED. I HAD THE NUMBER 6 COIL AND PLUG REPLACED, AND THE CAR IS NOW RUNNING FANTASTIC, BUT THE RESONATOR UNDER THE HOOD STILL HAS A SLIGHT RED TINT TO IT AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS WARM. I NOTICED THERE IS A FACTORY HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED ON THE RESONATOR, BUT I'M NOT CONVINCED THAT THE CAR IS COMPLETELY FIXED. HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!!!!!
Old 11-15-06, 04:54 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ccteague
I HAVE A 1999 ES300 THAT RECENTLY HAD A CK ENGINE LIGHT AND A TRAC OFF LIGHT COME ON AND STARTED MISSING BADLY. WHEN I POPED THE HOOD TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG, MY ENTIRE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WAS GLOWING BRIGHT RED. . . . . I MEAN BRIGHT RED. I HAD THE NUMBER 6 COIL AND PLUG REPLACED, AND THE CAR IS NOW RUNNING FANTASTIC, BUT THE RESONATOR UNDER THE HOOD STILL HAS A SLIGHT RED TINT TO IT AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS WARM. I NOTICED THERE IS A FACTORY HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED ON THE RESONATOR, BUT I'M NOT CONVINCED THAT THE CAR IS COMPLETELY FIXED. HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!!!!!
Please turn off the cap lock... Your car was running rich for a while from misfire on one or two cylinders which mean a lot of unburnt fuel get into to exhaust system. Your catalyst converter may has some damage from the excessive heated and caused it come loose. Now all the materials in the cat. is corrected inside the resonator. Get your exhaust system inspect,because this may cause loss of power and fuel consumption.
Old 11-15-06, 05:08 PM
ccteague
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, sorry about the caps, but I have to leave it on at my office incase I have to make any quick entries into my computer. I think everything is fine now. I think there was some left over crap in the exhaust system that hadn't been coughed up yet. I drove the car home tonight (25 miles), and checked the resonator about every 7-8 miles. The glow is gone for now, but I will be keeping an eye on the system for a few weeks. As of right now, however, I think everything is working well. I can't really detect any exhaust leaks, and the car is running like a dream. Thanks again!!!
Old 11-27-14, 05:15 PM
jimmy14
Driver School Candidate

Default Red catalytic converter

Did your Cat stoped been RED.. Please let me know...