Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Would you get K&N air filter?
Yeah sure
63.72%
No thanks, cheap FRAM for me
6.40%
No thanks, genuine Toyota parts for me
22.87%
No thanks, I buy another brand of air filter (pls list what u use)
7.01%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

K&N Air filter: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 08:39 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol yeah its pretty outrageous alright
i ordered a FRAM from my local auto parts store last night and they got one in for me this morning
picked it up for $24 USD lol
the FRAM filter has the exact construction as the toyota filter
in fact, i was wondering if someone put the OEM into the FRAM box when i first saw it
lol

same colour of plastic, same amount of pleats and same thickness in paper

OEM is Denso Made in Japan
FRAM is made in Korea

for $24 with the quality of OEM, i couldnt be happier
until im fully convinced to go with K&N if the engine life reduction claim is busted
Old 12-12-06, 11:39 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol yeah, FRAM is a good choice for an OEM quality filter, possibly as close to OEM as you can get with an aftermarket brand I believe. K&N has been in business for a long time and actually produce products that are supposed to increase engine life and well-being. I trust that my filter does it's job and so far so good for me. Hope you get what you want man, this is a good discussion and I've learned some already.

-tc
Old 12-13-06, 04:12 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

isnt TRD filters good 2?
Old 12-13-06, 04:31 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
isnt TRD filters good 2?
TRD filters are constructed very much the same way (4-6 layers of cotton and filter oil) and perform to about the same standards.

-tc
Old 12-28-06, 04:38 PM
tp3366
Driver School Candidate

the filteration can be increased while keeping the air flow same or higher by having a filter of larger filter surface area. They do this by having more filter material.
Old 12-28-06, 05:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't see the benefit of using anything other then Lexus OEM filters and parts. With normal maintaince your Lexus will last hundreds of thousands of miles using Lexus/Toyota OEM parts. When you buy a vehicle that costs close to $70K it's not worth trying to sort though the hype to save a couple of $$ on a filter and I'm not the kind of owner that plans on keeping a vehicle long enough that "IF" the hype was even true getting 350K miles using X product versus getting 340K using OEM is worth the sweat. Your also never going to feel any performance difference using a K&N filter versus the OEM filter. The only alternative from Lexus recommended maintance might be after the warranty is up going with synthetic oil for extended OCI's using used oil analysis. Might save some $$$ and less time spent changing oil. JMHO
Old 12-28-06, 06:49 PM
emas
Driver School Candidate

I tested out K&N this summer on a 2000+ mile road trip. Drove my wifes new for explorer from boston to chicago and averaged 16-17 mpg. Installed a K&N air filter while in chicago, drove back home (same trip, same speed) and got 19-20 mpg. That was proof enough for me... worth the few extra bucks.

Have since found out that AMSOil is making high flow air filters that are supposed to be even better.
Old 12-28-06, 08:26 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by emas
I tested out K&N this summer on a 2000+ mile road trip. Drove my wifes new for explorer from boston to chicago and averaged 16-17 mpg. Installed a K&N air filter while in chicago, drove back home (same trip, same speed) and got 19-20 mpg. That was proof enough for me... worth the few extra bucks.

Have since found out that AMSOil is making high flow air filters that are supposed to be even better.
You must of had a tail wind driving home. No way a airfilter will even change your MPG by 1/2 a MPG, let alone 3. Look at it this way if you could increase your MPG by 20% by putting in a K&N air filter they would be OEM from the manufacture.
Old 12-28-06, 08:40 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
When you buy a vehicle that costs close to $70K it's not worth trying to sort though the hype to save a couple of $$ on a filter and I'm not the kind of owner that plans on keeping a vehicle long enough that "IF" the hype was even true getting 350K miles using X product versus getting 340K using OEM is worth the sweat.

You and I may be LX470 owners but they're not. So only the LS and LX can cost up to 70k+So enough with the bragging
Old 12-29-06, 01:48 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
You and I may be LX470 owners but they're not. So only the LS and LX can cost up to 70k+So enough with the bragging
I hear ya
Old 12-29-06, 03:10 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a site where the K&N filter is compared to several others.

www.bobistheoilguy.com (Thanks to Max707 for the site).

The bottom line from his tests was that the oil-based filters offer minimal increased air flow (increased air flow is good) and definite decreased filtration (this is bad) compared to an OEM paper filter.
Old 12-29-06, 07:02 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I have have no prolbems with the drop in filter in my SC 300. I have seen a K&N intake system burn up mass air flow meters on toyotas. When GST (The Toyota supplyer for the TX,Ok,AR,LA and MS area) started selling K&N intake systems we installed them on a Tundra and Sequoia. Inside of 2 weeks the mass was burned up. Tried EVERYTHING that GST and K&N told us to do. Same thing. Replaced K&N with AEM. No prolbems. I dont know.
Old 12-29-06, 07:50 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Kind of makes you realize that the engineers that design these vehicles might know whats best to use in them?
Old 12-29-06, 08:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
I have have no prolbems with the drop in filter in my SC 300. I have seen a K&N intake system burn up mass air flow meters on toyotas. When GST (The Toyota supplyer for the TX,Ok,AR,LA and MS area) started selling K&N intake systems we installed them on a Tundra and Sequoia. Inside of 2 weeks the mass was burned up. Tried EVERYTHING that GST and K&N told us to do. Same thing. Replaced K&N with AEM. No prolbems. I dont know.

AEM is dry-type of filter where as the K&N is oil-typed. I'm not a fan of oil, but I'm using K&N panel filter on my car right now and I have no complaints. I clean the mass flow sensor once every 3 weeks though. I gained 2mpg with the K&N though.
Old 12-29-06, 10:00 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Kind of makes you realize that the engineers that design these vehicles might know whats best to use in them?
No, 1) when does engineers decide everything? Never 2) I don't know why people assume Toyota will put the best into the car, it put whatever is needed to MAXIMIZE profit, either in selling the car or to reap additional $ off replacement parts.
Just take a look at most factory installed tires, they are cheap ones to get you out of dealers' door.

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter: worth it?