Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Filters – New Look Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 05:16 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Filters – New Look Inside!

Although we might all agree that Lexus makes the best vehicles, we simply can’t agree on what the best oil filter is. I’m not even going to try and convince anyone to use a specific filter, however I will provide some interesting facts for you to consider.
Let me say that after many experiments with aftermarket parts for my Lexus, I’m convinced that OEM parts fit, function, and operate the best. The only small exception I’ve found has been with the oil filters, after cutting open the current Toyota filter and seeing how they have cut corners with their oil filters. You see Denso which is part owned by Toyota is the primary supplier for Toyota and Lexus. They make the OEM filters which were at one point in time of excellent quality. However, today the only quality Toyota filter I find (aside from the TRD filters) are the original made in Japan filters such as the 90915-20004 used on the LS400 and sold by Carson Toyota. What I did here was cut open what I considered to be the top 4 oil filters that you can buy for less then $10/each. They include, Purolator Pure One, Denso Aftermarket, Toyota, and Micro.
I should say that I’m simply looking at the components and build quality of these filters, and that a critical aspect, the filter media filtering capability and efficiency I’m not able to determine (except for the Pure One, which is noted on the box). I know that such studies were done before, however this is really specific to Lexus filter applications (RX300 and LS400 filters since this is what I drive).

First, the Pure One (Made in USA), appears to be an excellent filter and well worth the $6 price. The only thing that concerned me with this filter is how thin the steel case is. Aside from the reduced burst pressure, I’m concerned that the filter will collapse during removal if it’s been left on for a while and the gasket has cooked on.
Positive points are;
1) Silicon Anti-Drain back valve
2) Highly efficient filtering media @ 98%
3) Steel capped on both ends of the filter media
4) By-pass valve, built into steel cap

Negative points
1) Shorter length then OEM Toyota filter (LS400 application)
2) Very thin steel casing
3) Pleats are unevenly spaced

Second, Denso Aftermarket (Made in Thailand). Excellent filter and superior to the one they make for Toyota. Price $6 ea.
Positive points
1) Thick outer steel casing
2) Steel capped on both ends of filtering media
3) Silicon anti-drain back valve
5) O-ring seal at mounting surface

Negative
1) Unevenly spaced pleats

Third, Toyota filter (Made in Thailand by Denso to Toyota specs), very very disappointed, Toyota is cutting too many corners unlike their filters from previous years! This will be the only non OEM part on my vehicles from now on. I think I now know why I used to have clunking dry starts on my LS, which has not happened since I’ve switched to Micro filters!

Positive points
1) Thick outer steel casing
2) O-ring seal at mounting surface

Negative
1) Nitrile rubber anti-drain back valve
2) Filtering media is NOT capped, allowing pleats to possibly fold or collapse!
3) By pass valve is built into the bottom spring assembly, creating another sealing surface with the filtering media which could leak

Last, is the Micro filter (Made in Japan), purchased through www.autohausaz.com , well worth $6 + price and my top pick from now on.
Positive points;
1) Thickest steel casing of all
2) Highest number of filter pleats
3) Steel capped on both ends of filtering media
5) Perfectly evenly spaced pleats

Negative;
1) The one made for the RX300 uses a nitrile rubber anti drain back valve, the one for the LS400 has the better silicon valve.
Attached Thumbnails -cimg0402.jpg  
Old 10-08-06, 05:17 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Pure One detail
Attached Thumbnails -pure-one.jpg  
Old 10-08-06, 05:17 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Denso Aftermarket
Attached Thumbnails -denso.jpg  
Old 10-08-06, 05:18 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Toyota OEM
Attached Thumbnails -toyota.jpg  
Old 10-08-06, 05:19 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Micro Filter
Attached Thumbnails -micro.jpg  
Old 10-08-06, 06:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

very nice experiement.

I only use Purolator (premium plus) on my car since pepboys always have great deals on them (4 for $1 each after rebate). I just bought some today
Old 10-08-06, 09:31 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

K&N is my top choice since oil flow is important. Filtering effeciency is nothing if oil is bypassed or restricted. Do not think by-pass value is activated only during high RPM, cold winter startup also has high oil pressure.
Napa Gold, built by Wix, is my second choice. Both are good for extended oil change interval with excellent filter media.
Purolator recently bought Bosch, for V6 application (3330) Kragen has an on-line buy one get one coupon for Bosch Premium filter, or little over $3 for a design shared with Purolator Pure One.
Old 10-08-06, 09:43 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Believe I still prefer the K&N oil filter...
Old 10-09-06, 06:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I love my K&N and very easy to put on and remove in the RX300.
Old 10-09-06, 08:20 AM
alsalih
Rookie

Guys I agree, no doubt K&N, Mobile 1, and Amsoil are all better filters, however you need to keep in mind that I'm looking at filters under $10 each. All these filters have a by-pass valve and in my opinion are more then adequate for 99% of all drivers.
Old 10-09-06, 10:02 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

www.ajusa.com has a everyday low price of K&N @ $8.5 per. Order three and the shipping is free, if you are outside of California, no tax.
Currently they have a $5 off $50, that is 10% off if one orders 6. $7.65 per filter shipped to your door is a great price.
Old 10-10-06, 10:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still use OEM Toyota Thai filters - I can get them for less than $5 at the local Toyota dealer - less than a crappy Fram.
Old 10-10-06, 10:49 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And people, K&N filters are made by Champion Labs - so a K&N filter is the same filtering wise as a Mobil 1 filter. Champ Labs makes the filters for almost all quick lubes, Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand, and so forth.
Old 10-10-06, 11:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
And people, K&N filters are made by Champion Labs - so a K&N filter is the same filtering wise as a Mobil 1 filter. Champ Labs makes the filters for almost all quick lubes, Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand, and so forth.
Champion Labs have different designs for different brands.
K&N has a different filter media than Mobil 1, different by-pass valve design than STP. Just go to Autozone and look a quick look at STP, Bosch (if they still carry old designs) and Mobil 1, you will able to see different anti-drainback valves, canister materials, and by-pass valves without even cut them open.
Old 10-11-06, 06:27 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with the previous posting.

I have opened a Bosch, STP and K&N. Each is built differently ...

Quick Reply: Oil Filters – New Look Inside!