Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help fixing the lights inside speedometer needle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01, 12:52 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light inside my speedometer and tach have gone out. How tough is this to fix, I dont feel like spending a ton of money at the dealer for this. How is this lit up inside?

Thanx guys, its a 94 ES300
Old 04-02-01, 08:47 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

22 views and no one can help? Can the lights be individually replaced? Dealer wants $678.00 to replace entire instrument cluster.

Help!
Old 04-02-01, 11:21 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

sorry eventhough I am in no way a lexus tech I want to help you out,

I don't have an ES but I know those lights are little long LEDs that are expensive to replace, best bet is to get it new because used ones might go bad too. Lights are not sold individually. HUmm I wonder if the lights are the same as the SCs??? those seem to go bad too.

1995 SC400
Mind
Old 04-02-01, 02:30 PM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

It's sad but true those lights go out all the time. They flicker at first and then go completely out. The SC and ES seem to go out most often. After hours of personal research I have not been able to find a alternative to replacing the whole assembly. The parts are expensive.
The Es part goes for $550.00 and the SC is around 100 dollars more. A tip for anyone with a SC. When replaceing the gas and temp gage. The temp gauge is $225 dollars while the fuel is only $70.00. The needles are the same. So just pop the old needle off of the temp gauge and use the new one from the fuel gauge. Good way to save a few bucks.

Doc
Old 04-03-01, 12:44 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default hmm

Im almost tempted to just buy the fuel gauge and use that needle light for the speedo and another one for the tach, $140 is much better than $550. I dont see much difference other than the fuel gauge being shorter.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-01, 01:18 PM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

That is a good idea. I have never thought of just using
the short ones. I bet that would not look bad at all.
The exact list price on the temp gauge is $65.44 that could be a nice little savings.

Doc
Old 04-04-01, 01:55 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default lifesaver

Doc you are a lifesaver! I am pretty good with taking apart dashes, so I am sure I can get to the instrument cluster. Here is my question for the expert...

If I can just pull off the cluster window, you think I can pop off the old needle and place the new needle in without removing the cluster? Or do I have to fiddle around with the back of the cluster for that?

Thanx again, this might work out well for all of us with failing cluster lights.
Old 04-04-01, 02:03 PM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

Ok here goes... be VERY VERY careful when removing the old needles. The gauge it self uses a wound coil spring to operate. I you pull it or tug it the wrong way it will come all undone rendering the gauge useless. Also make sure you hands are very clean because the greese from your skin will soak into the backing and show. And trust me it won't come off. You can pull the needles just by removing the outer cover. You will still need to pull out the cluster though. (no big deal)

Good luck!

DOC
Old 04-05-01, 10:28 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default great

If I can just pull the needles off with just the outer cover, is there any reason I cant just pop the needles in without pulling the cluster?

As you can tell I am avoiding pulling the cluster, as I dont want to pull the entire dash out.
Old 04-05-01, 11:22 AM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

The cluster comes out real easy. 4 screws and you just unplug the back of the cluster.(3 plugs) You will need to pull the cluster out in order to pull the outer cover off. The whole job should take mabie an hour.

DOC
Old 04-06-01, 01:34 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default =)

Thanx again Doc, I will give it a shot this weekend.

You would think someone would sell these needles aftermarket, I bet just the needles themselves are pretty standard stuff across all model cars with these type of flourescent needles. Hell I would even expect some aftermarket company to make the needles in different colors !!

If any one knows of any aftermarket companies that make these let us know.
Old 04-08-01, 11:59 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default Found the needles aftermarket...

OK I finally found a company that said they could ship just the needles to me, Im very psyched. The guy emailed me and said that I would have to recalibrate the gauges after installing the needles.

Lexusdoc, what do you think? Whether I use the fuel/temp gauges, or get them from this guy do you think I will need to recalibrate the gauges?

Thanx again. I will post the url if anyone else needs it.
Old 04-08-01, 06:35 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

hey man sounds like a great finding can you share this co. info with us?

Thanks.

Mind
Old 04-09-01, 06:13 AM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

Please Please Please tell me where you found the needles! I have been looking for them for years.

Doc
Old 04-09-01, 09:37 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default ...

Darn, I lost the website and cant find it. I have the guys number though at home, and his email. I have yet to call and ask for prices though.

So how about that recalibration issue? Will I really have to recalibrate the gauge? Or is that just if I mess up that coil in the gauge if I am not careful? I might be better off sending this guy my entire instrument cluster. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Need help fixing the lights inside speedometer needle.