Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Which size compressor should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 05:02 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which size compressor should I get?

I have started doing my own car work. Been learning as I go.

I thought that it might possibly time to get an air compressor but I'm not quite sure. As of right now, I would only be breaking lug nuts and doing suspension work. I would want to use an air gun.

As time goes on, I'm not sure what else I could use one for. I don't plan on doing any grinding etc.

One of my friends told me to get a little pancake unit. The problem he himself had with his pancake compressor was that he couldn't even break his lug nuts and it had to refill each time he pulled the trigger on the air gun he had. So, not enough air it seems to even break a single lug.

I guess I'm looking for advice. Should I just skip buying a compressor for now or should I go for it? I'm wondering as time goes on and I'm doing the repairs if more reasons to have a compressor will present themselves other than just pulling my wheels off for rotations or a couple bolts when working on the suspension. And if any of you think I should get a compressor, which size should I get based upon the information I've given?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-17, 06:45 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

To have enough torque / capacity to break lug nuts, you need a huge compressor / tank $$$$$.
If you don't work on vehicles that much, I suggest you get an electric impact wrench.

I have a 120V 7.5amp impact wrench that is rated for 240ftlb. I got it on sale for approx $50. It is more than sufficient for lug nuts (100ftlb). It will also break most nuts off.
Old 11-29-17, 03:47 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BDSL
To have enough torque / capacity to break lug nuts, you need a huge compressor / tank $$$$$.
If you don't work on vehicles that much, I suggest you get an electric impact wrench.

I have a 120V 7.5amp impact wrench that is rated for 240ftlb. I got it on sale for approx $50. It is more than sufficient for lug nuts (100ftlb). It will also break most nuts off.
Hey BDSL, thanks for the reply.

What constitutes expensive?

My buddy has an old (probably about 10 years old) 26 gallon Craftsman that is able to supply enough air and pressure to his impact gun break his lug nuts off his Jeep Cherokee. I don't know what the foot lbs rating is on it though.

I can't think of any other reasons why I would want a compressor at this time so I think I'm just going to stick with my breaker bar and torque wrench.
Old 11-30-17, 06:27 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jwigley
Hey BDSL, thanks for the reply.

What constitutes expensive?

My buddy has an old (probably about 10 years old) 26 gallon Craftsman that is able to supply enough air and pressure to his impact gun break his lug nuts off his Jeep Cherokee. I don't know what the foot lbs rating is on it though.

I can't think of any other reasons why I would want a compressor at this time so I think I'm just going to stick with my breaker bar and torque wrench.
Electric impact = $50
30-60 gallon air compressor + impact = +$500....it will also require annual maintenance (i.e. oil change).

I used breaker bar for many many years. Then I saw the impact wrench went on sale at my local store.
Tried it. Liked it. It reduces my wheel change time from 30mins (breaker bar) to 15mins (impact) per vehicle in my garage.
When I have multiple vehicles, it saves me an hour....
You still need torque wrench after using the impact.
Old 11-30-17, 08:27 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

There is the aspect of tire inflation, other smaller tools like 3/8" ratchet, 3/8" impact, as well as air hammer and the basics of blowing crap out of places.

Always a use for one. What are you willing to spend?
In addition some of us do home projects like nails guns and staplers. I'd vote for are a 20 to 25 gal is a good. Not to mention being able to fill a seperate tank and go to the shed (or where ever) and inflate a flat tire....

Clearly an advocate but there are work arounds and electrics do a lot. Certainly need a good jack and stands before air tools or electric impacts...
Old 11-30-17, 11:54 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BDSL
Electric impact = $50
30-60 gallon air compressor + impact = +$500....it will also require annual maintenance (i.e. oil change).

I used breaker bar for many many years. Then I saw the impact wrench went on sale at my local store.
Tried it. Liked it. It reduces my wheel change time from 30mins (breaker bar) to 15mins (impact) per vehicle in my garage.
When I have multiple vehicles, it saves me an hour....
You still need torque wrench after using the impact.
I see your logic. It looks like I can get a cheapo electric impact for around $50. The bigger brands are $150 - $450.

I have a torque wrench.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-30-17, 12:06 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
There is the aspect of tire inflation, other smaller tools like 3/8" ratchet, 3/8" impact, as well as air hammer and the basics of blowing crap out of places.

Always a use for one. What are you willing to spend?
In addition some of us do home projects like nails guns and staplers. I'd vote for are a 20 to 25 gal is a good. Not to mention being able to fill a seperate tank and go to the shed (or where ever) and inflate a flat tire....

Clearly an advocate but there are work arounds and electrics do a lot. Certainly need a good jack and stands before air tools or electric impacts...
If I could find enough use I don't mind spending 400 - 500 on something nicer than a cheapo craftsman or kobalt compressor. There are a couple decently rated 30 gallon DeWalt's that are between 400 - 550 for example. I have a used impact wrench that I could use until I could buy a decent one maybe the next month after.

I have some 3 ton US-Jack jack stands and a 3 ton jack lift and a basic mechanics hand tool set (american and metric) already. I was thinking a compressor would make shorter work of jobs but I'm not sure what else I do that one would be necessary for. Which is why I opened up this thread- was looking for ideas and suggestions.

I think for now I might be okay with just getting a cheapo electric impact as BDSL suggested and maybe someday I'll look into a compressor again.
Old 12-15-17, 05:21 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've been using this for almost a year 2HP, 5.0 CFM. Runs my air tools & shop well.Well built, good warranty, but a little on the noisy side. Les than $500

The following users liked this post:
jwigley (01-29-18)
Old 01-25-18, 09:29 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a Craftsman 12 gallon 125psi compressor for at least 7 years or so. Got it as a Christmas gift from father in law. I use the heck out it, but not on car projects. Not that I couldn't, I guess...rather just never thought to. I use it for brad nailer, pin nailer (wood projects), inflating tires, kid's footballs, basketballs, blowing out small debris from air filters (car, mover, edger), etc. It's been quite useful. I've replaced water pumps, alternators, starters, power steering pumps, tires, change oil, tranny fluid, etc on all 3 of my cars and I do think an air tool to remove bolts could save some time. Never have tried them, but have seen them on videos. Seems a lot of the times I think I could use one...I wonder if there is actually enough space to use it. Seems I'm always short on clearance when removing nuts/bolts from auto parts. I will check into these electric impact wrenches. I always have an itch to buy more tools, lol !!
The following users liked this post:
jwigley (01-29-18)