Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

reg,oil to mobil1 oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-01, 03:15 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reg,oil to mobil1 oil

Hi Guys,
Is there something i should know before i convert to mobil 1.I plan to have the dealer change the oil.Since i've had my car, oil changes have been done by the dealer, i just recently found out they have been using a product called "AGIB".Does any one know this brand.Regardless, i'm still switching,should 6 quarts be enough, i'm gonna still use the toyota filter.
Old 09-30-01, 09:15 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agib? or you mean Agip. It's the oil that Ferrari uses. I thought the dealer uses Castrol oil. I'm using Royal Purple synthetic with Toyota filter. If the dealer uses Agip then i'm switching.
Old 09-30-01, 10:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by MGS4
Agib? or you mean Agip. It's the oil that Ferrari uses. I thought the dealer uses Castrol oil. I'm using Royal Purple synthetic with Toyota filter. If the dealer uses Agip then i'm switching.
Each dealer can use whatever they want.
Old 10-02-01, 06:14 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Me 2

I'm also converting at my next visit and am curious about any 'gotchas' I should expect from the dealer - like any extra precausions I need to prepare for....

TIA
Old 10-02-01, 07:26 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remind everyone you come into contact with at the dealership that you want them to use the Mobile 1 in the trunk.

Even if you do this and make sure it is written in the service instructions, it can easily be overlooked by the tech working on the car.

I imagine they do the oil changes frequently during the day and I'm sure they do it quickly. Anytime you throw something unusual into what is normally a very easy process for them, there is a chance a mistake can be made.....I know from experience. My car got some dino juice pumped through it for several miles after they changed the oil and tried to identify a series of rattles.

BTW, I use the M1 filter too.
Old 10-03-01, 04:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by duster
BTW, I use the M1 filter too.
Where did you pick one up and how much was it? Did any of the tech recommend against it? The filter that is....

To me, makes sense to use a filterdesinged for the oil. The OEM was desinged for dino anyway..... I realy don't know much hi-tech about filters and all that - I guess it could be just marketing

What made you decide to use the M1 filter?

Any of the oil gurus out there was to throw their hatr in teh ring on this one?

Here are just a few links to ino about the M1 filter - from yahoo type in mobile 1 filter

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp
http://www.autobarn.net/mob1higefoil.html
http://www.autozone.com/Library/Bran...oilfilter.html

Later

Last edited by ///MDex; 10-03-01 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-03-01, 03:20 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dexter
[B]

Where did you pick one up and how much was it? Did any of the tech recommend against it? The filter that is....

What made you decide to use the M1 filter?

I got my filter from a local parts place ....I think it was an Autozone for about 12 bucks.

No tech has recommended against the filter. Although, I have had some service guys tell me that the synthetic was "unnecessary".

I'm no oil/filter expert, just thought the M1 might be better than the original filter.

There was a pretty good article being circulated a while back that bashed Fram filters and was very informative. I don't know if I can find it again...maybe someone who remembers the article can post a link.
Old 10-05-01, 06:39 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Anyone know if any of the quick lube chains are doing synthetics?

I imagine they would be quicker, easier to schedule (no need to), and most cost effective...
Old 10-05-01, 07:43 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up M1

Dex - It's the Mobil 1 filter #M1-102 ( for the GS4 ) & U can get it at Wal Mart for around $7+. BTW - Wally World has their 5 QUART (HA-HA! ) jugs of Mobil One ( all viscosities ) on sale now for $17.88, at least at my local store. That breaks down to $3.58/quart versus the single quart price of $4.46 so U might want to stock up right now - ain't often M1 goes on sale. An Member from the old CL siteposted a great impartial oil filter test result ( actually done by Mopar!! ) but can't think of where it was - DUH!!:eek: The M1 wasn't the highest rated filter but it was near the top in filtration ability. It's biggest downfall was the price. Surprisingly to me, Fram filters ranked near the bottom & I've used those for years. Just goes to show the value of advertising!! Lastly, around here most of the oil change chain franchises carry M1 as their sole synthetic choice but all of them will allow ya to bring your own brand of oil and/or filter. Just DIY!!
Old 10-05-01, 07:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

MG, you always come thru, thanks.

It just so happens that I'll have a loaner Lexus (RX prb) this weekend, so I might run by WM and get it....

Thanks!
Old 10-05-01, 08:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

MG - you meant five quart jug, not five gallon, right .

One other question for you Gene - I usually just get a case (6 quarts) of M1 and the dealer uses part of the 6th quart for what they say fills the filter... When you get the 5 gallon jug, how does that work out?
Old 10-05-01, 04:08 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Darn Senior Moment!

Dave - Caught me in ANOTHER senior moment, didn't ya!!:eek: Yes, I meant quart & not gallon so I'll go back & edit that. The 5 QUART ( ) container works out OK - it takes me about 4.5 quarts to fill the crankcase & only 1/2 a quart to fill the M1 filter so it's a perfect fit. Sometimes it may take a little more than an even 5 quarts so I keep a quart of M1 just to top things off. Like I said - might want to stock up while it's on sale. I bought 5 jugs/filters so I'm set for awhile!!
Old 10-05-01, 04:11 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Dave - WHAT!!??

Dave - What R U talking about - gallon or quart?? LOL!!!! :eek:
Gotta love that "Edit" feature!!
Old 10-08-01, 12:24 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys,
did my conversion on saturday,I had bought the m1 filter but decided against it on the advice of the chief mechanic who i trust.He said the threading and the fluid capacity of the Lexus filter was designed for the car,and the cost was the same,however i read about the filtration capabilities of the M1 and plan to do a comparison over the next 2 oil changes.One observation after the change(maybe it's just me going deaf.but)the car seemed quieter and smooter. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this ,or was this supposed to happen as a result of synthetic oil.
thanks guys.
clive.
Old 10-11-01, 08:47 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely none of us who use Mobil 1 in our Lexus vehicles on a regular basis will ever know if it is better than other oils or not.

Lexus engines are known to be very reliable so failures of any type are extremely rare.

I have a 78 911 SC Targa which I converted to the use of Mobil 1 when I purchased it with 37k in 83. It now has 95k. I change the oil once a year and it sets in the garage for the duration of cold weather. When it is driven it is driven HARD, like it should be. I have had no engine failures.

When I purchased my new 92 Lexus I immediately started using Mobil 1, it now has 75k miles. When I took it into the dealer for the second oil change I told them to use the Mobil 1 I had put in the trunk. When I checked the oil level the next day I discovered that someone had added (my?) oil without draining the old.

My 92 has never been in the dealer's hands again.

My advice would be to use the Mobil 1, an ounce of prevention....

Quick Reply: reg,oil to mobil1 oil