Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why is it so hot in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 07:56 PM
lep95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it so hot in my car?

I know that I do have a very low tolerance for heat but it seems that my Lexus is emitting too much heat. It's very warm inside the car even when outside temperature is about 65 to 70 degrees. I have tried many different things to reduce the heat such as shutting off the air vents and also change it so air would enter the car from outside instead of getting recycled air. However, these things didn't help much. I'd literally have to turn on the air conditioning every time I enter the car. Can someone help?

Phong Le
Old 07-08-06, 08:36 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have tint ? that helps Alot ...

as far as the other options such as the insulation ? i have no clue i hope its all stock
Old 07-08-06, 08:42 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, what color is your car? Second if you don't have tint, get it now
The metallic semi-reflective stuff will do wonders for heat reduction. I think it blocks somewhere around 70-80% of the heat coming in.
Old 07-08-06, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this might be dumb, but what temperature do you set for the INSIDE? outside termperature and what to do to the vents is one thing, but the temperature you set to inside is another.

if you set the inside to 80, then of course it's going to be hot. but if you set it to 65 and it's still hot inside (say you put it in auto mode) that's another story
Old 07-09-06, 12:10 AM
lep95
Driver School Candidate

Default Hot car

My car is tinted. I also made sure that inside temperature is set at the minimum level, which is 65%. Like I said before, it could be that I have a low tolerance for heat. However, whenever I drive, if I allow air to be blown out of the air vent, the air coming out is distinctly "warmish". This drives me crazy.
Old 07-09-06, 12:11 AM
lep95
Driver School Candidate

Default Hot car

My car is white in color by the way. This should be really good in term of deflecting sunlight and thus heat!

Phong
Old 07-09-06, 12:19 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have your A.C. system checked out.
Old 07-09-06, 01:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by trent
Have your A.C. system checked out.
yeah if you ahve done all that and the air coming out is WARMISH, then definitely have the system check out. if you set it to 65f (btw it's f, not %), it should be constantly cold air

check out that the system is not leaking, and your compressor is working fine. and also that there are enough good coolant in it
Old 07-09-06, 02:35 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you had your car on for a while, then drive with the vents open, hot air comes out because its been sitting warm for a while.

do what i do: drive the car, turn the AC on cold until u feel cold air come out of the vents. then turn it off but keep the temp low. This usually flushes out the hot air that was building up inside

try it, hope it works
Old 07-09-06, 02:53 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When was the last time you had the A/C serviced? Re-filled with R134a?
Old 07-09-06, 06:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Coolant flush time.
Old 07-09-06, 11:08 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i thought there was no need to refill the ac system bc its a closed system...basically if ur in need of a refill/service you most likely have a leak.
Old 07-09-06, 05:42 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the added look, tinted windows can help. I have tints on all windows (except windshield) and I use the gizmo that blocks the sun's rays from entering your car through the windshield. Because I live in the NorthEast , we get that hot humid weather a lot which I cannot stand. Now stepping into a car on a 85+ degree day is not working for me.

FYI- Having tints (especially darker tints) on front windows is illegal in most states. You can get ticketed and will definitely fail inspection if you don't remove it prior to your inspection.
Old 07-09-06, 06:41 PM
treimche
Driver

I agree on getting the windows tinted, it helps. Another thing you can do, which I think more people should do, is to get a remote starter installed in your car. That way you can remote start the car, and have the AC running for a little while before you go get in. You just have to make sure you leave the AC on when you get out of the car. Then in the winter, just do the same with the heater! It's awesome.
Old 07-10-06, 08:57 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 GS3.. and I have the same problem- Hot air is coming inside the car.. My AC works fine when its on.. .cold ice brick.. but when I am driving.. hot air is coming in from vents, steering column... HELP>>

Quick Reply: Why is it so hot in my car?