Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Becareful were you bring your Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 02:22 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becareful were you bring your Lexus

I bought a fuel filter for my Lexus LS and after realizing that its in the rear above the axle I decided to pay someone to change it. I decided to bring it to Grease Monkey (which I now call GREASEBALL MONKEY) I told the tech that I bought this filter and decided not to install myself.
He said no problem will take $10 off the service. (I did not tell him that I put a couple of gold marks on the old one with a paint marker) Well after I paid for the service I brought my car home and notice that the SAME OLD filter with the "Gold marks" were on it!!! They robbed me!! I drove back and got my money back. Then.. the tech denied he did not change it. When I told him what I had done he went in the back and got me the brand new filter that I gave him!!!
All in all.. becarefull.. I'm not sure all Greaseball monkeys are a rip off but the one in Highlands Ranch Colorado is!!! --

Anyone know an honest mechanic in Southwest Denver!!
Old 07-03-06, 02:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd report this to the local chamber of commerce, make a phone call to the local newpaper or TV station. This is one of the reasons Ii ask for my old parts back.

Last edited by RA40; 07-03-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 03:57 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
I bought a fuel filter for my Lexus LS and after realizing that its in the rear above the axle I decided to pay someone to change it. I decided to bring it to Grease Monkey (which I now call GREASEBALL MONKEY) I told the tech that I bought this filter and decided not to install myself.
He said no problem will take $10 off the service. (I did not tell him that I put a couple of gold marks on the old one with a paint marker) Well after I paid for the service I brought my car home and notice that the SAME OLD filter with the "Gold marks" were on it!!! They robbed me!! I drove back and got my money back. Then.. the tech denied he did not change it. When I told him what I had done he went in the back and got me the brand new filter that I gave him!!!
All in all.. becarefull.. I'm not sure all Greaseball monkeys are a rip off but the one in Highlands Ranch Colorado is!!! --

Anyone know an honest mechanic in Southwest Denver!!
Check this out! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=Jiffy+Lube

We had the same troubles out here in Cali. Best bet is to find a mechanic that doesn't mind you watching him work on your car. I finally found someone out here that will let me sit in his shop and watch him start to finish. if a guy is honest he won't care you watching!
Old 07-03-06, 04:15 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Its a shame.. an honest mechanic can make more money by being honest in the long run.. Plus can hold his head high in the community.. (which in my opinion is worth more than money)

I don't know how those rip off places stay in business!
Old 07-03-06, 08:39 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
I'd report this to the local chamber of commerce, make a phone call to the local newpaper or TV station. This is one of the reasons Ii ask for my old parts back.
thats really the best way to go. i even should've done that with glendale lexus when they changed my "fan belt" for a staggering $200. i know they are a reputable dealership so the chances of fraud are much less likely, but still my fan belt may have never been cracked and they could've just changed it to cover the fact that i took one of their loaner cars.

gotta make a profit somewhere......
Old 07-03-06, 08:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thats why u buy some basic tools and do it yourself
Old 07-03-06, 08:49 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

thats cool that every machinac is a grese monky.real cool man
Old 07-03-06, 10:24 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jasbmo
thats really the best way to go. i even should've done that with glendale lexus when they changed my "fan belt" for a staggering $200. i know they are a reputable dealership so the chances of fraud are much less likely, but still my fan belt may have never been cracked and they could've just changed it to cover the fact that i took one of their loaner cars.

gotta make a profit somewhere......
Just because it is a dealership don't think that they are honest. The mechanic doing the service could be a crook. I took my car to Lexus of Cerritos b/c they are AAA approved. Big mistake. They tried to rip me off by not changing fluids on my diff and brakes. They over filled the tanny too. Luckily I decided to check things out under the hood before I took the car back. I think they were shocked that anyone would do that. Everybody usually just drives away after a service like that.

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 07-03-06 at 10:25 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 07-03-06, 11:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I found out my dealer uses very very cheap $2 dollar oil filters after answering me 4 different times about using OEM toyota filters. I even bring my own Mobil 1, which should have given them the hint that i want nothing but the best. I found out because I had a long trip before a holiday weekend, and gave up on getting an appointment at the local Lexus dealer.

They can wish my business goodbye. Now i do my own work, not to mention, i let it drain for a good 4-6 hours.

A bad dealers might try to take the easy way, but I dont think they will try and scam you, as the story the original poster mentioned, they gain way too much to lose.

Moved to the Maintenance section.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 07-03-06 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 11:42 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
I bought a fuel filter for my Lexus LS and after realizing that its in the rear above the axle I decided to pay someone to change it. .......
All in all.. becarefull.. I'm not sure all Greaseball monkeys are a rip off but the one in Highlands Ranch Colorado is!!! -- Anyone know an honest mechanic in Southwest Denver!!
LOL, I'm in your hood. I'd only recommend Grease Monkey to my Ex's. Is that the one on County Line Road? They always have this "$5 off next car" sign out there.

If you don't want to spend big bucks at Kuni or Stevinson Lexus, try Burt Toyota. I do my oil change there.
Old 07-03-06, 11:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I found out my dealer uses very very cheap $2 dollar oil filters after answering me 4 different times about using OEM toyota filters. I even bring my own Mobil 1, which should have given them the hint that i want nothing but the best.
Never bring your own oil to service. The tech will still use the overhead oil gun to fill your car, then resell the Mobil 1 (or use it in his own car.)
Old 07-04-06, 09:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The only time I got my car serviced was when I needed to replace my starter. Not that I couldn't do it myself, but it was raining that weekend and I didn't have a garage.

when getting something done, ALWAYS ask for the old parts.
Old 07-04-06, 01:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Never bring your own oil to service. The tech will still use the overhead oil gun to fill your car, then resell the Mobil 1 (or use it in his own car.)

I was actually watching them as they poured my Mobil 1.
Old 07-04-06, 02:50 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Wow.. It looks like I'm not the only one who dealt with dishonest people.

From now on.. I'm taking everyone's advice. GIVE ME THE OLD PARTS--