Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 10:10 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default problem please help

to start off...i've searched a bit and what I have is it sounds like "putt putt" sounds coming out of my exhaust. i've read this one thread that everyone said its fine its normal its just your engine cooling itself down.... mine doesn't seem normal..... and today while driving to work. it happened and when it happened again...( its only time to time only while accelarating) my car shook and seems like my car was choking a bit. I thought it may be because for some reason I need an oil change since it was about 500 miles til which I did that yesterday and same thing today. the other thing I thought it could be is my cats getting clogged. haven't gotten that checked yet. any suggestions?

navigating through my treo is a pain and is too slow so any help is definately appreciated. I won't be near an actual computer for a couple of more days and if its something major I would like to get it taken care of before july 22nd the next neloc meet. thanks in advance

Last edited by Batmobile; 06-21-06 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 11:20 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your mileage?
Was maintenance completed at a timely basis?
Check engine lamp?
Any chance of water in your fuel? Have you changed brands or lower octane levels
Is the engine air filter clean?

Insure the battery grounds are clean and tight at the body connections. There are three or four connection points under the hood.

If it continues to fail;

Clean the MAF sensor, down stream from the air filter box.
Nearing time for a plug change? Plug wires original? Cap and rotor original?
Old 06-21-06, 12:07 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

119000 miles, have maintained pretty well. oil change every 3000 miles. no engine lamp, I still use 93 octane and I usually go for sunoco, mobil or I should say lukoil now.... but yesterday was the first time I pumped my gas at an exxon....it wasn't a 24 hour exxon which I assume is privately owned. did a tune up 6 months ago with aftermarket wires. rotors are different..... um i'll try the ground thing, clean out the filter box and repump gas once I get out of work. thanks.
Old 06-21-06, 06:23 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Comissioner Gordon,, say it aint so.....the Batmobile sick???? LOL!!!

Sorry to read about the problem Jimmy, sounds like it could either be just cheap gas(water in the gas), possibly clogged fuel injector. The fact that you say that the car acts like it is choking would point me in this direction. Clogged cats, maybe..easy to tell. Look under your car to see if the cats are glowing cherry red. Also is the inside of yopur car getting hot, if none of these then cats, out. Really sounds to me like you got a shot of bad gas and now the injectors may need to be taken off and blown out.
Old 06-21-06, 07:56 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

thanks guys... i think i may have found the problem..... well first off my inside is getting a little hot just to make sure though, the heat is coming from my center console (cd player all the way down to my shifter) that means my cats are clogged? hmmm.... should get that fixed then

but back to the main subject.... i filled my gas the other day at this exxon that is directly right down the street from me....... filled it all the way up close from E..... now being that i had basically a full tank.... i couldn't try to pump gas again....so i went to pep boys and bought myself a fuel injector cleaning system and a 0-60 octane booster. it helped ALOT..... i let it sit for about 10 minutes and then drove it..... everythings fine.... i may get a small choke once every 20 minutes now..... which is alot better than a big noticable one every stop light..........

now since I SWEAR i put in 93 at the exxon.... which once again i think is privately owned.... isn't it against the law to put anything other than gas in the gas stations.... i hope this is not a new thing.... i've recently also been seeing 10% ETHANOL at every gas station... what's that all about?

any answers?