Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Death by Rear Hub Assembly?? Or am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 05:26 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Death by Rear Hub Assembly?? Or am I Crazy?

Recently got a flat on my $320 Goodyear Eagle F1's and Goodyear is trying to back out of my road hazard policy....great. Upon, installing my spare I noticed a little wobble in and out. Not good.

Had it diagnoised and it is the rear bearing and most likely hub assembly. (Explains the "woo" "wooo" sound)

My SC has less than 100K miles on it, where this is most likey b/c of the drain strut that stayed on there for about a year before being replaced this year.

Labor quoted as 3.5 hours labor plus realignment.

$455 rear hub assembly from Lexus, $260 labor, $80 Alignment, plus $330 tire. Over 1G for the same problem.

So... I will take my Lexus Manuals and attempt the repair myself inorder to compensate for the cost of the new tire...not looking forward to it.

I just wanted to know before I get in too deep next week, any advice? (lol, like R.I.P. )

Thx for any input and support.

Another thread on same issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=wheel+hub
Old 06-18-06, 12:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not an easy job at all. You will need a lot of tools, hydraulic press, some special service to drive out the old bearing and re-install. Not recommend for a DIYer. Pay the 3.5 hr labor and watch the tech who working on your car get p--sed off...lol.
Old 06-18-06, 02:50 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
It's not an easy job at all. You will need a lot of tools, hydraulic press, some special service to drive out the old bearing and re-install. Not recommend for a DIYer. Pay the 3.5 hr labor and watch the tech who working on your car get p--sed off...lol.

Great idea, but not sure if the "entertainment" warrants ~ $300.

I am obviously not a n00b if I know what I'm in for, but haven't replaced a knuckle/hub assembly in over 6 years. I just remember have much of a pain ball joints and suspension components can be.

On that note, it is rumored that the knuckle does not have to be disconnected, where you can replace the hub assembly (not bearings) with everything suspension-wise intact.

I would just pull the hub, bearings, and seal while on the car and replace with salvage hub assembly.

I might be spooked over nothing, or everything

Any help or advise? I can post the OEM repair manuals pages if anyone if willing to provide counsel.

..... ...... say um...VVT-i...