Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
NGK
46.93%
Denso
35.74%
Just stick a hampster in each cyl.
17.33%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

iridium plugs - NGK or DENSO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 02:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
OMG L-Tuned Exhaust??? Now you can upgrade to the K&N FIPK to get rid of the stock intake restriction. Then you might as well get the TM's, see. Off to the races.

Was it a blood transfusion, a brain transfusion, or lobotomy? Mafia bribe? Offer you couldn't refuse? Mid-life crisis?
It was an offer I couldn't refuse -- the L-tuned group buy. Although there are definitely no intakes in my future, in a moment of weakness, I could see myself putting in some clear side markers.

Thanks for the advice on the plugs.
Old 10-31-06, 02:42 PM
platinumLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

denso is lexus oem plugs and thats what i like
Old 12-30-06, 12:50 AM
Eggman
Pole Position

i'm gonna try denso iridiums. i've always used ngk in my honda and it worked great. but,

1. denso has the world's finest core.
"...the narrower the centre electrode is, the lower the potential difference (voltage) that is required to jump the gap between centre and ground electrodes."

2. denso uses the u groove.
"...ground electrode which is claimed to aid in the production of a 'flame core' which further improves the combustion process."

3. denso is owned by toyota.
Old 12-31-06, 07:01 PM
Eggman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kpuri
TRD Plugs are re-branded Denso IK Series (IK is good for about 30k Vs.SK Series good for 90k-120k) look close and you can see the U Groove that Denso is known for on the Iridiums
yup trd plugs are definitely denso. i just saw some today. i think the denso logo on the plug is larger than the trd logo.
Old 01-03-07, 10:42 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here are the part numbers for those who need them.

GS400/430 - LS400/430 - LX470 - RX300 - ES300 - SC400/430 - GX470
Denso Iridium - IK20
NGK IX iridium - BKR6EIX-11
NGK OE Laser Iridium - IFR6T-11

GS300/IS300/SC300
Denso Iridium - IK16
NGK IX iridium - BKR5EIX-11
NGK OE Laser Platinum - BKR5EKPB-11
Old 02-25-07, 09:34 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

I picked up the NGK IX's for my GS400 because they were the cheapest iridiums and were available at my local autoparts store. $46 for all of them.
Old 02-26-07, 12:22 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NGK's are cheaper than the Denso Iridium plugs. But I think the Denso's are better since TRD highly recommended them. I was using the IK20 plugs for my supercharged Corolla before.
Old 02-26-07, 08:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
NGK's are cheaper than the Denso Iridium plugs. But I think the Denso's are better since TRD highly recommended them. I was using the IK20 plugs for my supercharged Corolla before.
they are pretty much the same damn thing...
Old 02-26-07, 10:43 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this thread should only be responded to by those that have actually run both plugs in comparable situations-same car,etc...To give factual comparison results.

Just because someone used Denso or NGK and they liked it is irrelevant. We are talking comparison here, not if you liked a plug. Shove a banana in the spark plug hole and run a copper wire through the middle and some would say it's a good spark plug, but again ,nothing to compare it to. For those that have run both plugs and commented on them-that is the feedback that should be considered worthwhile.
The following users liked this post:
ronkelley (01-27-23)
Old 03-11-07, 08:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I think this thread should only be responded to by those that have actually run both plugs in comparable situations-same car,etc...To give factual comparison results.

Just because someone used Denso or NGK and they liked it is irrelevant. We are talking comparison here, not if you liked a plug. Shove a banana in the spark plug hole and run a copper wire through the middle and some would say it's a good spark plug, but again ,nothing to compare it to. For those that have run both plugs and commented on them-that is the feedback that should be considered worthwhile.
even on 26 psi, race gas, and around 500 wheel horsepower, my talon could have cared less if it had ngk or densos - there was zero performance difference, and if you didn't read the lettering on the side, you couldn't tell the difference between the two....
Old 03-11-07, 09:12 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

Completely agree. Maybe we could argue whether plantains would be better in this application than bananas. More potassium maybe, better for spark?
BTW, that banana thing, is that anything like the Beverly Hills Cop thing where he shoves a banana up his tailpipe?
Old 03-19-07, 12:42 PM
onejayzee
Rookie

well me myself dealin with supras for all my life i prefer densos. only ever had one problem with them and that was my fault. the ngk's i ran the ivory broke all the time and it would ping around in the cylinder.
Old 05-13-07, 07:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
even on 26 psi, race gas, and around 500 wheel horsepower, my talon could have cared less if it had ngk or densos - there was zero performance difference, and if you didn't read the lettering on the side, you couldn't tell the difference between the two....
You probably would have been better off with standard $0.79 copper plugs and just swapping them every few months. A friend of mine does this on his Jetta turbo (but only running about 280hp at the crank) to good effect. Turbo motors just get so damn hot that plugs don't last long anyway, so may as well go cheap if you have to replace them that often.
Old 05-13-07, 08:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by geko29
You probably would have been better off with standard $0.79 copper plugs and just swapping them every few months. A friend of mine does this on his Jetta turbo (but only running about 280hp at the crank) to good effect. Turbo motors just get so damn hot that plugs don't last long anyway, so may as well go cheap if you have to replace them that often.
I shoulda clarified... copper ngk's or denso's

And I replaced them every time we went to the track...
Old 07-14-07, 07:54 AM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Somewhat offtopic, my buddy, who owned a beautiful 93 MR2, fully modded, told me something i found interesting. I bought myself some NGKs and told him they were plats. Well he said, he would prefer anything thats copper. He said the copper ones are the most conductive of all the metals available for spark plugs.
I agreed, I replaced all Beru spark plugs on my BMW with NGK copper, and the idle is significantly quiet as many Japanese cars.

Quick Reply: iridium plugs - NGK or DENSO?